1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Extreme Sports

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Elios, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Just seeing how many fellow enthusiats are out there.
    For the skiing choice, I am not talking about those little bunny slopes! I am talking about downhill, either by a long chairlift ride or by helicopter to the top!
    The caving is where you are on your stomach at times, were the space is not much bigger than yourself!

[ January 30, 2003, 11:03: Message edited by: Elios ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 12 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Extreme Sports (12 votes.)

Do you participate in any extreme sports? (Choose 1)
    * yes - 58% (7)
    * no - 42% (5)

Which ones? (check all that apply) (Choose 9)
    * Rock Climbing - 8% (1)
    * Scuba Diving - 8% (1)
    * Surfing - 8% (1)
    * Mountain Biking - 25% (3)
    * Sky Diving - 8% (1)
    * Spelunking (hard core caving) - 0% (0)
    * Hang gliding - 0% (0)
    * Skiing - 25% (3)
    * others - 75% (9)

2. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    well, I'd love to do some extreme sports, but I just don't have the finances/opportunity to sky dive, for the sample... But my style in downhill skiing borderlines on extreme... too bad my access to slopes is rather bad, no matter the fact that I have ski centres just about lined up on my doorstep :(

(a borderline extremelogist wannabe)

3. Elios Gems: 17/31

I am a certified NAUI scuba instructor. Dived in the Florida Keys, Belize, , the Caribbean, Lake Michigan and several other small lakes and coves in the Gulf of Mexico.
    Rock climbed in the Shawnee National Forest in Southern Illinois. Mountain biked all over the place. Skiied in Aspen Colorado. Ski dived many times and hiked in in the Smokey Mountains for four days, and the Rockies!

4. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Is Trialing classed as extreme (bunny-hopping about up onto objects, etc, sometimes incorperatied into a course) ???

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Funny how the adrenaline rush of extreme sports has faded after the birth of our child! :)

We don't mountain bike, but a lot of people would consider the kind of road biking we've done to be extreme. For example, 82 miles with about 4,000 feet of elevation gained and a twisty, 10-mile, 10% grade downhill at the end of the day - in traffic. The day started at 19 degrees F and went close to 90 before we were done.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot - we were riding a tandem bike.

6. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well, martial arts often give me a good adrenaline rush...

I did use to do a lot of climbing, (and of course the sliding upside down downward fastly :D ) but I quit the scouts several years ago.

7. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31

Did you also forget to add that by the time you got to the bottom of the ride, you had no brake pads left?

8. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i play BG2 continously 20 hrs before my physic final, if that is not extreme, i don't know what is.

9. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

What are these "brake pads" of which you speak?

Slowing down is for wimps ;)

10. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31

I was thinking of the fact that rallymama said it was during rush hour, so may need to slow down at some point. I know it's boring to slow down but sometimes you gotta do it.

I like riding on little tracks that go along rivers. That's great fun coz you know that if you screw up, you end up with you and your bike soaking wet. I really want a decent bike. Mine fell apart recently. It's a false economy to buy a cheap bike, coz you end up having to buy another bike within a sort time, so might as well have bought an expensive one to start with.

11. Elios Gems: 17/31

If anyone wants, you can get some great gear from
    www.rei.com I also get this catalog, its called campmore. They have a lot of stuff and great prices too.
    If you want to go with the best there is for mountain bike, in my opinion, go with a bike from Gary Fisher.
    I got my bike from there. The Sugar Team Issue. Talk about a sweet bike!
    The frame is a Platimum Series ZR9000 double-butted aluminum frame, Genesis Geometry, b*link suspension, carbon fiber swingarm. Bontrager Race X Lite Tubeless wheelsystem w/OSB rear and IRC Serac XC tubless tires. It has a Shimano XTR SGS rear derailleur + XTR shifters + XTR front derailleur + XTR crank and Avid SD Ultimate brakes. :-D I think I am gonna break it in to the California trails this weekend!

[ January 31, 2003, 09:20: Message edited by: Elios ]

12. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

teekc: :D
    Snowboarding an skiing if you call them extreme....

13. Elios Gems: 17/31

Snowboarding and skiing are only extreme when you go into the mountains, there's no bunny slopes or rope tow to get you to the top.

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I'll let my husband fill in the technical details since he was driving the bike, but yes, the traffic, failing daylight, and broken pavement forced us to use the brakes that day. If we had been able to just roll it out, I'm sure we could have surpassed our current top speed - 51.7 mph.

Friends of ours on another tandem need 3.5 HOURS to make that descent. The fluid in their hydraulic brake boiled, causing it to seize closed. The kept having to stop and cool down the wheels.

15. Velcro Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

To fill in for Rallymama, the brake pads were just fine. In fact those exact same pads are still on the bike, (those I always carry a spare set). :eek:

On the decent mentioned. We never really got rolling above 30mph. There was always a car in front of us. :mad: This did cause me to have to ride the brakes to keep from hitting his back bumper. We stopped 3 times on the decent to let the brakes cool off.

The brake pads are extra hard pads for ceramic coated rims. I think the manufacturer was Mathouser (I'm sure the spelling is wrong but its Mat--something I just can't remember).

16. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I am allergic to any kinds of sports (except handball)...
    If they don't involve swordfighting or something like that, I die.

17. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    [​IMG] Mountain biking is an extreme sport now? :nolike:

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Obstacle Deepsea Draught! :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.