1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Finally, the music

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by SC, Nov 19, 2002.

1. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

This topic has been done so many times, but I feel it has never been quite complete. So I think I'm going to post, once and for all (hopefully), a full-out poll on music.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 68 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Finally, the music (68 votes.)

Finally, the music (Choose 35)
    * Old School (I'm thinking about rap, but I've heard other) - 12% (8)
    * Rap - 18% (12)
    * Hip Hop - 12% (8)
    * Raggae - 9% (6)
    * R&B - 9% (6)
    * Pop - 13% (9)
    * Rap-Rock - 19% (13)
    * Classic Rock - 53% (36)
    * Rock - 59% (40)
    * Hard Rock - 54% (37)
    * Metal(death, progressive, power, etc.) - 44% (30)
    * Techno - 19% (13)
    * Trance - 10% (7)
    * Funk - 18% (12)
    * Punk - 32% (22)
    * Punk-Pop - 16% (11)
    * Punk-Rock - 35% (24)
    * Techno-Classical - 7% (5)
    * Classical(renessance, baroque, etc.) - 37% (25)
    * Country - 7% (5)
    * Folk - 16% (11)
    * Dance - 9% (6)
    * Industrial - 15% (10)
    * Instrumental (band, orchestra, etc.) - 26% (18)
    * Jazz - 21% (14)
    * Blues - 22% (15)
    * Beat-Boxing - 4% (3)
    * DJ mixing - 6% (4)
    * Religious/Cultural (Gaelic, Christianic, etc.) - 10% (7)
    * Gospel - 4% (3)
    * Choir - 6% (4)
    * Soul - 9% (6)
    * CRPG, Video Game Backround Music (Baldur's Gate, Mario Bro's, etc.) - 37% (25)
    * Other (list below) - 13% (9)
    * N/A, I don't listen to music - 0% (0)

2. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Impressive - One of the best polls I have seen about music, that is for certain.

<Loud Applause>

3. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] Yeah I vary from Pop to trance to rock to punk but one thing is lingering in my mind ...

Whats techno classical?

Offtopic: Woo! My 2000th post!

[ November 19, 2002, 00:28: Message edited by: Sniper ]

4. SC Gems: 23/31

Classical remixes. IE: Fur Elise by Beethoven has now a techno remix. Mainly famous classical pieces that have been remade with a definite touch of techno.

Terribly sorry, I am quite unobservant. Talking to Wildfire, I just remembered I forgot to add Ska to that list. I apologize to any ska fan in SP.

[ November 19, 2002, 00:52: Message edited by: S Goddess ]

5. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

No! SKA is missing! How will I get on with life! *sobs wildly*
    Okay, yeah, I'm just being stupid. It's getting late and I'm tired, so I'm tempted by stupid humor.
    But yes, it is a thoroughly definitive poll, and admirable that you even KNOW that many types of music exist. I didn't.

6. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Yes - what happened to Ska? Not that it's popular anymore or anything. :( And I listen to Christian Rock - which is basically any rock (alternative, punk, ska) that is well, Christian. Not choir or gospel.

7. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I listen to things like the Black Heart Procession which are basically uncategorizable. It's for the most part, slow and spooky. The kind of music you'd listen to with the lights down at 3AM to scare the **** out of yourself. I can't categorize this. It's not rock, it's not pop, not folk, not in any category on your list.
    A few more uncategorizable bands I like:
    The Jim Yoshi Pile-up
    Godspeed you Black Emperor
    Low
    Lana Lane
    Three Mile Pilot (some have called them emo, but I don't think it fits)

I also listen to Classical, Folk, Alternative Folk, Indie Rock, Indie Pop, Classic Metal, European Metal, Progressive metal and rock, Alternative, emo, film scores (not soundtracks), and, not pure country, but hybrids like Folk/Country (Freakwater) and alt Country (Pinetop Seven - I saw them Friday and they were awesome!)

8. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

When I was a teenager, Ozzy, Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motley Crue etc were considered metal. Are they still? Or have they been downgraded to "hard rock"? Or perhaps even "classical"? :p Actually I'm interested in a serious answer; "metal" seems to mean something very different than it used to. It sounds, to me, more like the subgenre that used to be called "death metal" or "thrash" in the '80s.

Am I the only one who saw this most comprehensive poll as a challenge, i.e. "hmm... can I think of any missing categories?"? Irresistible brain teaser! The only other absent category I can think of is "glam", which isn't surprising as I think it's been more or less extinct for 20 years. :lol: Although I do actually own a New York Dolls album, in real vinyl!

9. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I think Opera is missing, though I don't think I'd vote for it myself. On the other hand, I do rather like a bit of Gilbert & Sullivan.

10. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Ska ... i don't mind ska. [Spunge] are a ska band aren't they? And what about Madness?

11. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I didn't know what most of them were and, like Sprite, was most confused by the diffeent types of 'rock'. To add to the missing (though it seems a bit unfair considering how extensive the list already is): rock n' roll, Skiffle, Two Tone (which was pretty much Ska), New Wave, Progressive Rock, New Romantic, etc, etc, etc

for those who have no idea what skiffle is:

http://www.glass-artist.co.uk/music/skiffle/skiffhist.html

http://www.jazzuk.com/donegan.html

http://www.mckissick.org/Friends/Class_of_1961/Music/Johnny%20Horton%20-%20Battle%20of%20New%20Orleans.mp3

(best I could find I'm afraid)
    PS 'PunkPop' sounds like a contridiction in terms to me. Sid Vicious would turn in his grave.

12. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Madness ??? Are they still around ?

13. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Yes, finally a poll with blues as an option.

14. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] Hmmm, indeed a brain teaser. Just what is each genre of rock entailing? And more importantly, where does this numetal that skunts listen to fit into it all?

15. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I like most metal, punk, and rock. At the moment im listening to a playlist made up of - Metallica (metal), Suicide Machines (punk, maybe punk rock), and Scorpions (rock). Ska-punk wasnt there tho! Ska-punk is so cheesy but i like it :)

16. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Rock, rap, pop, savage garden (dunno what they are really.) I don't really catorgorise music in this manner, I like stuff with a decent beat, doesn't drag on, has lyrics you can hear and memorise (weird, I know) Like the band Big Brother - there new song, "Who's this" I like

I don't necesserily like country - Shinia Twain is really pushing her luck - she has used almost exactly the same music in all her songs, sheesh, come up with something vaguely original Woman!

I put music into five groups - Love, Like, don't like, okay and quick-get-the-shotgun

I hate Ronan Keeting and Daphne & Celeste, apart from that I'm okay around other groups

17. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Nice Poll, my fav musicstyles are Metal, Hard Rock, Funk and Punk(Rock). System of a Down and Rammstein are my favourits band :headbang:

[Oh definetly Ronan, is in my quick-get-the-rocketlauncher catergory. Everytime I just have to buy a new radio :mad: ]

[ November 19, 2002, 22:51: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

18. Errol Gems: 23/31

I voted for my fav's; Trance, Techno (Rave!!), Punk-Rock, Funk, Industrial.

Finally a poll where I can vote what exactly I like! Nicely done, *clap* *clap*.

ps. Does anyone listen to Placebo? I always though of them as Alternative/Electric, if anyone's heard of them please tell me what they are.

Goph

19. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I always thought of Placebo as a rock genre band. Doesn't really matter as they're good though.

20. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Thank you Shadow. I picked about 10 of the types listed, but those are just favorites. I like something from almost every kind of music.
    Most of the music that I listen to regularly was released before 1980. The genres I listen to the most are R&B, Classic Rock, Progressive Rock (Yes, Moody Blues, ELP), Heavy Metal. Funk and soul are more stylistic and can be expressed in many music genres. Jazz, classical, and big band are interesting to me, but I don't own alot of CD's of these kinds of music. I am looking into Lounge (thanks Master of Nuhn).
    So much music, so little time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.