1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Future SP Logo Font

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Hello all. Time for a quick poll, and I want all of you to participate. By clicking here (and yes, it's a bmp on purpose, so don't complain, just wait) you will be shown an image with 5 examples of the SP logo in a different font. What is important here is the text saying "Sorcerer's Place" that you can see on each image.

From top (number 1) to bottom (number 5), please vote which one is your favourite. Keep in mind that, as a logo, the same font would be used in logo pics throughout the site and you'll be looking at it for a long time in the new site design. So make sure you really, really like one more than all the others, and vote for that one. Thanks!

P.S.

The logo images will change, so you shouldn't base it on how well it fits with this specific image. The logo will randomly load from a pool of 20 or so different ones, and I need to use the same font style on all of them.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 63 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Future SP Logo Font (63 votes.)

Which of the fonts looks best in your opinion? (Choose 1)
    * #1 (first from the top) - 2% (1)
    * #2 (second from the top) - 40% (25)
    * #3 (third from the top) - 29% (18)
    * #4 (fourth from the top) - 25% (16)
    * #5 (fifth from the top) - 5% (3)

2. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Tal, I can only see three of them, is that right?

3. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yep, as I said before the 2nd one. I hate the 5th.

No Reep you should be getting 5.

4. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Ah, ok. Well I still really like choices 3 and 4. But I think I like 3 the best, it just flows.

What excites me the most is the randomly loading background image for the logo. That's going to be cool.

[ November 10, 2002, 21:28: Message edited by: Big B ]

5. Thorin Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Althought the 2nd image looks the best, because of its flowing design. It has a problem in that that letters are dithered making it hard to read. I voted for the first on since it is easy to read and does not look ugly. I would rather see number 2, but only if the quality of the letters where better.

6. Uluk the Armripper Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I had difficulties to choose from between #2 and #3. But I decided to vote for #3 mainly because it's easier to read. Things are fine if the size of #2 is big enough. But anything smaller than in the picture is probably not a good idea...

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] If you can't load the image properly, right-click on the link and select Save As. It will download on your computer and you can open it with any program for images.

8. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    When I right click it nothing happens. But don't worry, thank god I know what F11 does. ;)

9. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Hmmm...after a long time, I decided for Number 2. I would have liked to see number 1 in non-italic, but i was told it was Italic by deafult.

One thing I would advise against is putting the logo over 2 lines, but to keep it on 1 line.

:)
    Nice stuff!

10. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

the 2nd one, by far.

11. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I agree with Gopher and Tiamat. The second one is the best.

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I like the one we have now so naturally I chose the third as it is the one that is most similar to the current one. I am a conservative ;)

13. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

The first one looks to me as a cyberlike text. Nothing sorcerer-ish about it.

The second is far more adventurous. Perhaps too much and too classic.

number five looks as a mundane writing. Of course not a bad font for other things. But I prefer otherwise for a logo. ;)

--------------------------------------------------
    Down to three and four. Can't really notice any conceptional differences. But as Joacqin says number three is kinda SP trademarked. Something unique. Another reason to have second thougts before choosing the exotic number "two" ;) .
    I voted for "four" because it had a flavor of a sorcerer's handwritings, but I might regret later and go for number three. Good call Joacqin.

14. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

The 2nd one has the most originality and makes a statement of uniqueness. ;)

15. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] But any other scumbag adventure site uses that kind of font just to look mystical and magical-well almost.
    Its original, yes. But a cliché. Ok perhaps its not that bad. Just pompous. *lol*

[ November 11, 2002, 01:49: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

16. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I was stuck between the second and last one ... I don't know :hmm: ... the second one seemed more ... authentic? more mysterious? mystical? magical? major use of alliteration there ... yep! That decides it! The second one! :idea:

17. Taluntain

Media:
    I don't suppose any of you noticed that #2 is a really sloppy font with erroneous spacing between letters?

18. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

TAL ... I did notice that about #2, but I still liked it best.

However ... you are the Almighty Sorcerer ... so feel free to out-vote us for a more practical font.

Upon reflection #2 is sloppy and a bit clique ... but I like the "S" ;)

19. Taluntain

Media:
    To be frank, I'm leaning towards #3. I'm a perfectionist and #2 just doesn't do it for me, being unpolished as it is...

[ November 12, 2002, 20:24: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

20. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Thank the maker! uhmm Quote C3P0

So the leftwing sweede got it right :xx:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.