1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Good or Evil?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ishmael, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Ishmael Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Do you prefer to play BG2 "The Good Way" or "The Evil Way"?

What you find more challenging? More rewarding? More fun?

Post any comments as to why below.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 4 question(s). 48 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Good or Evil? (48 votes.)

What is your Preference? (Choose 1)
    * Good - 67% (32)
    * Evil - 33% (16)

Which is The Most Challenging? (Choose 1)
    * Good - 17% (8)
    * Evil - 83% (40)

Which is the most rewarding? (Choose 1)
    * Good - 79% (38)
    * Evil - 21% (10)

Which is the most fun? (Choose 1)
    * Good - 46% (22)
    * Evil - 54% (26)

2. The Netherlord Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I'm confused as to why most people voted evil as the funniest (which it is), yet a lot still voted for good as their preference... Isn't the game about having fun?

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Why is there no option for neutral? It's a lot more fun, more challenging, and definitely more rewarding.

4. Razal'dar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

How would playing neutral be more rewarding Tassadar?

5. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

You pick the options that give you the items *you* want. Blackrazor for instance.

6. Ishmael Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

@ Tassaldar: What an astute observation. I guess that I was having a "Black or White" moment.

@ NetherLord: The correlation between fun and preference was surprising, not to mention that Evil is overwhelmingly mvoted more challenging, but Good was voted more rewarding. I would have predicted a clear correlation between those two as well.

7. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I always play neutral :)

It's difficult to maintain your reputation at 8-12, but it sure is challenging.

8. Mayfairy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I like to play evil, but I tend to lean towards good. Usually my alignment is chaotic good.
    Good is sure more rewarding while evil is more challenging.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Most rewarding is definitely good. You get tons more XP's and items (generally speaking) by taking the good paths. For that very reason, evil naturally becomes more challenging, because you miss out on those items and XP's.

@ Tassadar - I agree that playing neutral allows you to choose which items you want. But, if you take Blackrazor, does that not switch your alignment to evil? I know there is a mod out there that changes what happens after the trials, but unless you have it installed, I think that if you do one bad, you become evil...

10. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I, personally, found the evil path dull and hardly funny. Nothing was particularly challenging nor was it as "exciting" as I had hoped it would be. This could be because the game was written with the idea that most would play the good side.

Now I definitely would have liked to have seen a neutral path - especially when running a druid. I seem to recall seeing something on here a while back (mod perhaps??) that gave neutral options during the Trials in Hell. A very good idea -- maybe someone can expand on that.

And yes if you keep Blackrazor, or choose any other evil act during the trials, your alignment shifts to evil.

[ December 17, 2003, 16:05: Message edited by: Spelladonna ]

11. Wil Gems: 6/31

I voted 'good' everywhere, but I'm not sure about the challenge. The fight against Aran is harder than Bodhi. But vampires are harder than thiefs in encouters. Now, they say Adalon is such a challenge...
    Should someone evil side with Bodhi? Aran is evil too, but no traitor... As he says, he's just less evil.

12. Tronak el Karbaro Gems: 6/31

Well, either if you are evil or not, you still can have lots of fun, but I don't think the difficulty increases or decreases overall difficulty. Some monsters will be harder if you are evil and some will be harder if you are good. I am currently playing with a good party. I managed to kill Bodhi with a single backstab-lovely giant strengh potions ;) -I don't think I would manage to do the same thing on Aran, but you have to kill a lot more monsters when you are good, although some of the more powerful-like Adalon-are good. I think difficulty relies more on the characters you take with you than your party's alignment. Too many mages would make Ust Natha a difficult trip, because of drow's innate magic resistance-unless you have LOTS of lower resistance spells- and too many fighters will make your party vulnerable to mental attacks such as confusion, paralisys and the like. Difficulty relies on tactics more than on alignment.

13. Lotlanne Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have always played good, this time my main char is Chaotic Neutral Mage. Is it OK to side with Bodhi, but to do the rest of the quests as a good guy (well, more or less good)?

14. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

@Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Yes, your alignment does change to evil, which really makes no sense whatsoever if you are trying to "maintain the balance". You are almost forced to do good in order to retain your neutral status. On a side note, I think Jaheira is more neutral good than true neutral. Saemon Havarian is true neutral.

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I can't vote in the poll, there is no Neutral options. I find it both fun and rewarding playing all three alignments.

It's all about roleplay :cool:

16. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

If you do good when you are evil, does your alignment switch to good?

If not that makes no sense at all.

17. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Not really -- even the most vile and evil person can see the advantages and benefits to "good" moral behavior. Also, certainly in the game, being "evil" doesn't necessarily mean that you hate and want to kill everyone, will steal any time you get the chance, etc.

18. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

So what advantage would an evil person see in giving up such as badass sword as Blackrazor? The others I can see how you would argue such a point...but doing every trial the 'good' way should at least make you neutral, IMHO.

19. Shadow Druid Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I prefer playing neutral, balance is everything. But the people in my party are either neutral or good.

20. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Sparhawk, you have answered your own question. It depends on your motives. Doing good for selfish motives doesn't make you good. It might bring you to the neutral department if you abstain from evil and make a rule of doing the good think - even for profit. Generally. However, what matters is how you act when there's neither hope of profit nor fear of punishment.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.