1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Has anyone (else) actually read the manual

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Stu, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] I was just wondering if anyone has actually read the entire game manual. I read it all before even playing the game. This is mainly because my computer contracted a bug that made it crash as soon as Windows loaded up. This and also I went on a trip with my parents and had not then discovered the works of Tolkien.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 40 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Has anyone (else) actually read the manual (40 votes.)

Has anyone (else) actually read the manual (Choose 1)
    * Yes, before starting the game. - 57% (23)
    * Yes, after starting the game - 25% (10)
    * Only parts of it. - 15% (6)
    * No. - 3% (1)

2. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Yeah I red all of it,because I liked the whole talking of Elminister and Volo :D

3. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yes, I read the whole thing, though I didn't go through the entire spells section.
    I was new to AD&D games so I had to figure out how AC and THACO worked

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I always read manuals first; it prevents so much trouble laterwards and often it´s fun too.

´Course, if it´s a huge two hundred pages long book, I will probably skip it (like in the case of that one, infernal Star Wars game...)

[ April 24, 2003, 20:08: Message edited by: Virne ]

5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Not sure since it was such a long time ago, but I think I read the manual before playing. It differs from game to game, with Warcraft 3 for example I didn't read the manual I only used it when I need to find out things like the abilities/spells of heroes.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I practically always read the manual first and play the game later.

7. Tayja Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

My, my, my. So many sincere law-abiding folks here.

Who'd've thought?

Isn't anyone else into juicy instant gratification? Dive right in and save the manual for when you get stuck (It was even useful occasionally)?

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I always read the thing just to make sure I'm not missing some really easy shortcut or rule that would make my whole life easier. The game is no fun when you're stuck, and it's not an issue of roleplaying but simply technical ignorance.

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I hate slowpokes. That's not to say I have a rush myself, but I'm not patient enough to first read the manual fully. Then start the game, and read the manual again as I've no way of remembering all that information after just reading it once. And then return to the manual all the time to still check up on this and that.

I read the manual, always with RPGs and usually with other games. Just for having something for travel/bedtime reading, if for no other reason. But with every gizmo, program etc I always try to find out about things myself first, and only after I'm sure I can't solve it do I actually use the manual simply for the information.

10. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I started playing the game as soon as it was installed and figured I'd leave the manual for another time. Which probably explains why my entire party got wiped out by goblins in Irenicus' dungeons...

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I couldn't figure out anything until I bothered to read it.

12. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I read the manual after starting the game. Especially to read up on the NPCs, and spells.

13. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I read the whole thing before I started the game and I refer to it quite often for charts, skills, and discriptions when creating a new game, or making a mod. :rolling:

14. Nightshade Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I didnt read the manual before (because stupid self went and lost it). But found out when I did that most of it is obvious anyway. But then also found that I was doing stupid thingd aswell. And the moral is I must read manual BEFORE playing game.

15. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

No, I skip through everything for the conversations and spell descriptions, I find that learning everything unaided is fun.

16. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Nope, started playing right away. I'm pretty familiar with most kinds of gameplay, so i'll learn and pick things up along the way.

17. Falcor Wolfbane Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I read pretty much all of it before hand( including spells) but now ive gone and stupidly lost the thing and i really really really want to find it again.

( I say:always read the manuals important bits beforehand then if you get stuck on anything particular you can always go back ad refer to it later on)

18. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] You can access it through C:/Programme Files/Black Isle/BGII-SoA, its an Acrobat reader document ;)

19. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I tend to scan through it to the interesting parts, not spells, and information on the ruleset, because I find that amazingly boreing.

Maybe I will flick throug hthose sections after I've started the games, just to double check things.

Whenever I think of manuals, the BG one always comes to mind. Was like a bloody novel, but most of it was very interesting to read.

If there is such a thing, the Baldurs Gate Manual is my favourite. :p

Thats how sad I am :eek:

20. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Actually, I play the game before reading the manual and didn't know that thief can disarm trap until my friend who introduced BG2 to me told me. After that, I spended a couple of days reading it some what throughly but not entirely as I read too quickly and missed some things. Anyway I found the manual interesting and decided to read it again, until the whole manual was covered.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.