1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: How Evil?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Aikanaro, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I was thinking of this last night while reading up about a sort of but not quite evil character and was wondering what type of evil you people prefer.
    So how evil do you like the characters of the books you read? Things in brackets are examples of the evldoers from that scenario.

Whimpy Evil: Here is the wanna be evil guys. They're all for making small, easy conquests, but aren't much for world domination. They would rarely risk their own lives, and are usualy quite petty. (Regal)

Evil Genius: One of those types that go around making huge ineffable plans for world domination. Should not be confused with the madman. (Eh, I can't think of any of this type in any books I've read)

The Unintentional Evildoer: One of those types that accidently blunder into doing something evil. Often have to then de-screw things up and make everything good again. (Frankenstein)

Evildoer by Necessity: Not able to do what they must by good means, they instead turn to evil. Sometimes this is done unintentionally, as described above. (Marc Remillard. And as most of you don't know who he is, he wanted to create a race of superbeings with paramount metapsychic powers. This involves artificialy engendering thousands, and when they were born taking their bodies away. People tried to stop him so he destroyed two planets and 4 billion people trying to get his own way)

Psychotic Evil: You know the type. Laughing like a lunatic and trying to cover the world in darkness for no good reason (Suggestions?)

Just Plain Evil: Another one of those who wants to cover the world in darkness for no good reason, without the insanity. (Melkor)

Lackey Evil: Someone who follows another evil guy around while being generally evil himself. (Sauron)

Sneaky Evil: The behind the scenes backstabbity death kinda evil. Assassins and behind the scenes rulers galore. (Possibly Entreri, though not exactly. Better suggestions welcome)

[ July 02, 2003, 12:54: Message edited by: Aikanaro ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 14 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: How Evil? (14 votes.)

How Evil do you like your characters? (Choose 1)
    * Whimpy Evil - 0% (0)
    * Evil Genius - 14% (2)
    * Unintentionally Evil - 14% (2)
    * Evil By Necessity - 29% (4)
    * Psychotic Evil - 0% (0)
    * Just Plain Evil - 14% (2)
    * Lackey Evil - 7% (1)
    * Sneaky Evil - 14% (2)
    * Other - 7% (1)

2. Ameorn Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I haven't read many books with an evil-aligned protagonist, but i'd deffinetely choose the "sneaky evil" character :evil:

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    "Evil Genius" could be Voldemort, The Brain (you know, Pinky's pal), or Mojo Jojo.

I, too, don't care for an evil character as protagonist. I prefer to LIKE the people I'm reading about, and want them to succeed in their endeavors. Hmmm, there's ANOTHER reason I can't stand Elric! :roll:

As for the antagonist, I'd prefer Sneaky Evil, Just Plain Evil, or Evil By Necessity.

4. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Read the Golden Key by Elliott, Rawn and someone else I cant remember the name of. One of the chracters is kind of misguided evil. He doesn't think of himself as evil but he is. I'm not sure where that fits on the list, but he is my favourite bad guy.

5. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I like the Evil person who finds out the path of good.

Or the really really evil person who you just learn to love. That's Artemis Entreri people :thumb:

6. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Vodlemort, Voldemort that is kinda ringing a bell that that name should ring a bell somewhere down in the vast void of my memory, but it ...

Anyway, I actually never read a book with an evil main-character. I can't stand seeing evil get away with anything. But then, come to think of it, I'd love to read about a character starting out evil and changes... Hm, that would be good katharsis.

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Yago, you HAVE read Harry Potter, haven't you?! :eek:

8. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

:doh:

No, but I've seen the 2 movies. That's why the name ... somehow ... ringed a bell. Oh, I don't read because I am biased against it (childbook and so). No, because I stay away from books which have a reputation for being addictive. I am still recovering from some Grisham books and Marion Zimmer-Bradley. Self-Protection, so to say.

And speaking of addictive, I am back on topic (Death Rabbit will watch it with glee). "The perfume". That book rules and the main-protagonist is evil. And it's kind of fantasy. About a "perfume magician", one may say. I'd say a mix between Evil Genius (But not like "the brain" (that mouse)) and The Unintentional Evildoer.

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I didn't mean this as the main character been evil, well not necessarilly the main character anyway. Almost every book has a bad guy.
    And I would classify Voldemort as Just Plain Evil, or psychotic evil. After all, it's not like his being evil was a well thought out logical intelligent decision.

10. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Sneaky evil.. :evil:

11. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Man, where is "animating the dead for your own twisted and unnatural purposes" evil?

And isn't there little difference between "wimpy evil" and "sneaky evil"? I mean, come on, how many assassins have you known of that have had plans to take over the world or are willing to risk their lives?

I prefer a humanly evil. Think, say, Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (post-chip). Or perhaps Darth Vader (catharsis/redemption/whatever at end of movie). Or Macbeth. Considerably more interesting than static bloody-bladed assassins or kings with delusions of grandeur.

[ July 20, 2003, 05:33: Message edited by: Oaz ]

12. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    A tie betwween Sneaky Evil and Evil by Neccessity, and so I voyed for by Necessity, for that can be sneaky as well. I think Wormtongue sort of fits both... (No! He's not a lackey! NOOOOO!!!!)

How about Lolth for psychotic? In one of the Greyhawk novels she is the main villain, and we hear thinngs like "I feel like a little girl. Have the cook prepare one."

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.