1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: How long is your commute to work/school

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Got stuck in traffic today - again. I hate commuting and I just wanted to find out if most people have it as bad as I do.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 44 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: How long is your commute to work/school (44 votes.)

What is the distance you travel to work? (One way, not round trip.) (Choose 1)
    * Fewer than 10 miles (fewer than 16 km) - 55% (24)
    * 10-20 miles (16-33 km) - 20% (9)
    * 20-30 miles (33-50 km) - 5% (2)
    * 30-40 miles (50-66 km) - 9% (4)
    * 40-50 miles (66-83 km) - 5% (2)
    * Greater than 50 miles (greater than 83 km) - 7% (3)

How long does the trip take? (Again, one way, not round trip.) (Choose 1)
    * less than 15 minutes - 34% (15)
    * 15-30 minutes - 25% (11)
    * 30-45 minutes - 9% (4)
    * 45-60 minutes - 11% (5)
    * 60-90 minutes - 16% (7)
    * more than 90 minutes - 5% (2)

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    About 13 km's. It's rare that it takes me more than 20 minutes, and if it's not during rush hour, it can be as little as 15 minutes.

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I live about 60 miles from my office. With the drive to the train (5 min) the train ride (85 min) and the walk from the train to the office (10-15 minutes) I'm pretty "loving life" right now.

The best thing that happened to my commute is that my work gave me an "air card" for my laptop. Now I can use the wireless web and get real work done while on the train. That makes me feel less-guilty when I sneak out of the office a bit early so I can have dinner with my family.

4. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well it takes me about 15 minutes to go back and forth to my work. By feet that is :p
    But 18 days out of 20 I get picked up by a co-worker since you have to drive by my way to get to work.
    I also live about 5 minutes (again walking) from the center of my city, where all the stores and bars is.
    Yeah, my town is huge :rolleyes:

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I drive 40 miles, each way. And thanks to constant road construction and no sensible mass transit system (because the auto industry lobby in Houston has obscenely deep pockets), I have little choice in the matter. It used to take between 1.5 and 3 hours to drive to work every day, but now I suck it up and pay to take a tollway. So it costs me about $50 per week just to get to work (gas and tollways), but the drive is now only about 45 minutes most days. Small price to pay, I suppose. Annoying, but small.

6. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

The distance I have to travel, was more or less a wild guess. It is probably around 30-40 miles. The time it takes me to travel that distance is about one hour and fifteen minutes, which includes walking, a train journey, and a metro ride. And thanks to the delays of the Dutch public transportation system, my travel time sometimes becomes even longer.

[ January 16, 2004, 16:53: Message edited by: Mesmero ]

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Geez, some of you actually make me feel better. I have a 45 mile drive to work, and it takes a little over a hour to get there.

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

My commute is about 45 km and it takes usually 45 minutes in the morning leaving at 6:30 AM and 75 minutes in the evening leaving at 5:00 PM.

If I leave home at 7:30 AM it takes around 90 minutes and if I leave work at 6:00 PM it usually only takes 50 minutes. Saturaday and Sunday mornings, I can make the drive in just under 30 minutes.

9. a soubriquet Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I feel kind of lucky; my drive to school takes five minutes at the maximum.

10. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Mapquest says my commute is 30 miles and should take 38 minutes. Well, sure, but not at rush hour!

I'm a great believer in public transportation, so my commute is a 5 minute drive to the train (followed by a 5-10 minute wait, or course! ;) ), then a 50 minute train ride, then a 10-15 minute walk (can be mostly underground, for which I'm very glad today!) so I'm talking about an hour and a half door-to-door. Slightly longer at night when I have to detour over to daycare to get my son. :roll:

When we moved back to this area, I told Velcro I didn't care where we lived as long as it was near public transportation. :roll:

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm about 20 minutes from my office and about 11-12 miles away. There's no real public transportation to speak of in Delaware. Few train stations, and riding a bus is just as bad as driving in, worse even because you're not the one driving.

Delaware is not very commuter friendly.

12. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

10 minutes on bike, about the same by car. Except for work, I should be able to get there wih the car withing 5 minutes easy. If the road's empty and the flasherpoles are off, so I can go 160kmh without worries :p (Which is never, so I'll stick to my answer of 10 minutes :D )

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG]
    :confused: :confused:

14. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I walk to school. I'm not sure how long it is, but it's certainly under ten miles. It takes about half an hour.

15. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Matt

I believe he means traffic lights, right Faragon?

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I study at our local uni, so the campus area is rather close; only about 1 km (or 20 minutes to walk). :) A lot better than when I was in high school -had to use train every day, it taking about hour to reach my school).

17. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

60 miles, Davis to Walnut Creek. (Near Sacramento to near San Francisco, if that helps). Takes about 60 - 75 minutes, though today, with everyone using I80 to go ski in Lake Tahoe for a three-day weekend, it's closer to 1.5 or 2 hours.

The distance never bothers me, it's the traffic. I much prefer my longer commute now than my shorter one from Berkeley to Walnut Creek because there is less traffic. Despite only being ~20 miles, it took 45-50 minutes to drive over from Berkeley.

18. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I have a 14 mile commute. If I leave at 6:30 a.m., it's 30 minutes door to door with a stop at Fourbucks or Coffee Ream. If I leave at 8:00 (like I did today after walking my son to school), it's about 45 minutes with no coffee stop.

LA traffic is bad, but not as bad as NoCal traffic, right CamDawg?

19. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Morning:
    House to subway station: ~10 min
    Waiting: 0 -> 15 min
    Subway ride: 20 -> 45 min
    Subway station to uni: ~5 min

Evening:
    Uni to subway station: ~3 min
    Waiting: 0 -> 20 min
    Subway ride: 30 -> 60 min
    Subway station to house: ~15 min

20. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I have to go 13-14 km and do 45-50 min about it. This is counting door to door and using public transportation. With a car outside rush hour it's about 30 min.

@ Matt and Rabbit

I think he means poles with automated cameras on them to be able to identify cars who are driving to fast by taking a picture of their number plate. It's an automated version mounted on a pole next to the way. Previously they had to put agents to do this work. (also using a camera and using the same principle but mobile)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.