1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Is it weird or normal to tell a girl you like her on the phone?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Theres this girl I like, and I'm not really sure if she likes me. Shes been taking me home after school and hanging out with me at lunch and stuff but I heard from one of her friends today that asked her about it that she "hasnt really thought about it but she isnt a hommie hopper" (Ive liked for a few weeks now, so something shoud be happening by now...) I want to tell her I like her but not sure if it would seem weird on the phone or if that would be fine and normal.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 27 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Is it weird or normal to tell a girl you like her on the phone? (27 votes.)

Is it weird or normal to tell a girl you like her on the phone? (Choose 1)
    * Thats perfectly fine and normal, go for it! - 30% (8)
    * That would be weird, it should be said in person. - 44% (12)
    * No opinion(not sure) - 26% (7)

Is it weird or normal to date your best friend's X? (Choose 1)
    * Normal - 37% (10)
    * Weird - 33% (9)
    * No opinion - 30% (8)

2. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Ask her you fool. Face to face. If no, then no harm done. If yes (more than likely), you won't be beating yourself up over it.

3. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] @Beezlebub: I wasnt asking is it ok to ask her out on the phone, I was asking is it weird to TELL HER that i like her on the phone.

4. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Not weird, but it would be better recieved if it was face to face. She's less likely to have doubts about it all if you speak to her about it.

5. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

hmm, well ok I guess Ill probably do that, but first I'll see what others say.

6. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Face to face, tell her you love her (not just like). Tell her over a phone, why you would even think of that? It is neither wierd nor normal but just lame.

7. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

Thanks , yes I believe it is lame but telling a girl you like her on the phone, especially one you are not even dating(oh goodness, i didnt mention i wasnt going out with her yet did i...oops) But telling her I love her, now that would be just plain weird.

8. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

There are some exceptions to every rule. For one thing, telling her you like her over the phone is okay if it is done subtly. If you just come right out and tell her that you like her, chances are that she will be put off.

As for the dating of the best friend's ex, well, that depends on what your best friend thinks about it.

9. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Ok, here's the skinny.

It is best to tell a girl/woman that you like her face to face. Why? Well, because a phone conversation can be percieved as two different things.

One, it can be percieved as distant. She may think that you lack the courage to ask her face to face. Or that you might be unsure of yourself and the situation. This may not be recieved well. She may be likely to turn you down if you choose to ask her in this fashion. Girls/women usual like it when a guy is sure enough and has courage enough to ask her face to face.

Also, it can be precieved as less personal. Almost, as if she wasn't "good" enough to be asked in person.

Asking a person face to face is a more personal, heartfelt way, of asking them out. It shows not only that you have the courage to do it, but that you are serious, and truly want it to happen. It also makes it harder for them to say no. Being able to see each others facial reactions when the conversation takes place, is also a very useful tool. You will be able to decipher how excited or happy she is about the prospect of dating you/being your girlfriend. Or if she is nervous or scared about the idea. Which will help to decipher where a future might lead with her. Doing this over the phone, will not allow for as clear of an understanding of the situation, as doing it in person would.

This is from my experience of course.

10. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Phone is bad for relationship. Like said before: face-to-face wins the day. :p

11. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

face to face. even if you are turned down she will think better of you for asking in person

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Tell her face-to-face but do try to make it somewhere private. Last thing you want to do is embarres her in front of friends.

Love her? What? He never said he loves her... You don't love her do you?

13. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Phone sounds good. At least she can't kick you in the groin if she rejects your affections.

The worst thing you're going to get is an abrupt 'click' on the your receiver. :D

14. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

If you have been talking to a mutual friend about her, then by now she (and probably the whole neighborhood) already know that you like her. Girls talk. Incessantly.

Ask her why she doesn't hop hommies or (I'm no good at alliteration), f-something friends?

15. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    "I like you on the phone."
    Yes, that's quite weird! :p

Face-to-face if possible! If you don't dare, then perhaps (rather not!) write it in a letter. But no phone!

16. dman18 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Both are perfectly fine, well, the second can become a dumba** dicision but its all good.

THe phone thing, I've done that twice, mainly because i can be a wuse in person when i comes to that...

17. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

I'm afraid many of you people have percieved exactly what I said wrong. I was asking if it is weird or normal to TELL a girl that I like her on the phone. I wasnt talking about asking her out on the phone, thats an entirely different matter. As for my friend, he has nothing against me hooking up with her. Not anymore at least...

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Face to face, definitely. She deserves that for the feeling you have for her. Be serious, respect her and yourself. Respect her by not bugging her on the phone and respect yourself by having cojones to take what's in for you. Even if it means taking a 10% chance for conscience's sake.

This doesn't mean you should be dead-serious ;) You're not buying eggs and milk, sure, so some decorum is in order, but try not to overact :)

Don't be too serious. It'll make you look like a bore and make you unable to turn it into a joke or misunderstanding if she turns you. Besides, you're not proposing yet.

Don't be too embarrassed. I know, that's why people use phones. But that's not the right way. Say that face to face without being too embarassed. But better be embarrassed than artificial, really, so don't overdo. False self-confidence is a big turn-off. Shouting out an aforememorised tirade won't do any good either. Besides, in a limited dose it's sort of compliment for a girl if she affects your oratorical skills and overall coordination ;) .

The worst thing you could do would to be ashamed, like most guys are. A very high regard for your feelings if you're ashamed of them, isn't it?

So, to sum up, be natural. Even if it means being not natural ;) Try to get some confidence, but above all be kind and considerate in the little talk you have - you never know. You have no idea how important it is - and how easily noticed even if they don't tell you. Respect her and she will respect you, even if she turns you for whatever reason. Respect yourself, and the others will respect you too. Now go! Good luck and keep us informed :thumb:

PS

Useful vocabulary and phrases: 'very positive impression', 'moved', 'like', 'like in a special way', 'more than just a friend to me', 'care very much for your opinion/feelings'

Banned vocabulary: love, always, forever, never, everything that starts or ends with 'ever'

Highly discouraged vocabulary: relationship, girlfriend, boyfriend, sweetheart, significant other (bweeeh) etc

Flowers only if you're going for a park walk in the evening or some such thing. No bloody red roses, don't even think about it. The best idea is to start from giving her the flowers (Q: why? A: just because), moving on to a neutral chatter and when you have her in a right mood and growing curious, in a right scenery as well (we don't care but for them it's asskickingly important) carry on your true subject step by step. Withdraw when she seems bored, irritated, repelled or similar. Pat her on the shoulder like a friend if she needs it, but don't try anything foolish. Ask her what her feelings are, not to become your girlfriend. It only has some sense if she's admitted to sharing your feelings. Don't press on her. Don't be like here and now - you have a crush (nb good word), not a pants tent. Show you care but you only want to get what she wants to give. Even if she turns you, remember there are dozens of reasons for being turned (e.g. too much mayo on a burger, broken fingernail, intriguing shape of PE teacher's buttcheeks, her favourite soap opera going on etc etc, or maybe it's going on too fast for her or she's unsure of her feelings and doesn't want to hurt you, or perhaps she's having a crush on someone else or being loyal to someone unworthy... dozens of reasons) and there aren't many better opportunities to show your class than when you're getting turned ;)

Let the force be with you! :tie:

19. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I'm betting that your 'friend' asked the girl if she wanted to be a hommie hopper, and surprisingly enough she said no.

Most girls would say 'No'. (Most boys would say 'Hell yes!').

Your 'friend' probably has his own reasons for not telling you the whole truth.

Definitions

Normal: Being embarrassed, making yourself look like a fool, not knowing what you are doing.

Weird: Being none of the above.

Really weird: Telling a girl that you like her and then not asking her out. Its worse than telling a girl that you really like her for her personality.

@Chev
    We call it getting 'turned down' in Ireland, not turned. Sometimes it is called getting shot down or knocked back, rejected, spurned, rebuffed, sent packing, sniffle-weep-sniffle :cry:

[ December 13, 2003, 02:21: Message edited by: Bluin ]

20. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Look her in the eye and don't be a wuss. If she likes you, you can say almost anything and it won't make a difference as long as you don't go for her throat. If she doesn't like you, you don't stand a chance no matter how eloquent you are. Suck it up and give it a shot, it's her loss if she's not interested.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.