1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: New and Improved NPC Results!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, everyone's favorite foppish idiot returns to right past wrongs. As many of you recall, I started an NPC elimination style poll, that ended about a month ago. Due to a set of circumstances that were partially within and partially beyond my control, I feared a cyber-lynch mob was ready to come for me.

So, what I am attempting to do now, is to put out a new poll that attempts to give us an answer as to who is the most popular NPC, and avoid some of the pitfalls of the last tournament.

This is not an elimination style tournament. It is a single poll that will end in one week.

Rules:

1. Vote for the NPC's that you like the best. It is not who would win a fight (or in this case a battle royal) between them. Just who you like the best due to stroyline, banters, romances, humor, whatever. It's probably the NPC's that you use the most.

2. There are three questions in this poll. The first question asks you to pick your three favorite NPC's based on the criteria listed above. The second question asks you to pick your two favorite NPC's. These two NPC's should be two of the three you already voted for in the first question. The third and final question asks you to vote for your favorite NPC. This NPC should have been one of them that you voted for in questions 1 and 2.

3. The votes of all three questions will be tallied at the end of the voting period, and the results from the three questions will be added together to declare a winner. By setting it up this way, it allows each person to give their favorite NPC three votes, their second favorite NPC two votes, and their third favorite NPC one vote. By doing it this way, it allows you to weight your vote, and since very few people will have the same three favorite NPC's, it reduces the chance for a tie.

Here is a quick example of how you will cast your votes, using myself as an example:

I chose NPC's based on entertainment value. The more they humor me, the more I like them. Therefore, my three favorite NPC's are (in order) Edwin, Minsc and Jan. As such, I would vote as follows:

In the first question, I would check three boxes (the maximum you can), giving a vote to Edwin, Minsc and Jan. In the second question, I would check two boxes (the maximum), giving a vote to Edwin and Minsc. In the final question, I would check only one box, giving a vote to Edwin.

By doing this, I will give three votes to Edwin, two to Minsc and one to Jan.

If you are wondering why we are using this system, check on the link on this site, where several people gave me valuable input. I won't rehash all of those statements here though. Onto the poll!!!

Poll Information
    This poll contains 3 question(s). 61 user(s) have voted.
    Voting starts at July 07, 2003 18:41 board time.
    Voting stops at July 14, 2003 18:41 board time.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: New and Improved NPC Results! (61 votes.)

Chose your three favorite NPC's: (Choose 3)
    * Imoen - 39% (24)
    * Minsc - 28% (17)
    * Jaheira - 33% (20)
    * Yoshimo - 10% (6)
    * Aerie - 20% (12)
    * Nalia - 5% (3)
    * Anomen - 2% (1)
    * Korgan - 25% (15)
    * Viconia - 28% (17)
    * Jan - 23% (14)
    * Valygar - 13% (8)
    * Keldorn - 8% (5)
    * Haer Dalis' - 10% (6)
    * Edwin - 25% (15)
    * Cernd - 3% (2)
    * Mazzy - 10% (6)
    * Sarevok - 20% (12)

Chose your two favorite NPC's: (two of the three you checked in #1) (Choose 2)
    * Imoen - 30% (18)
    * Minsc - 18% (11)
    * Jaheira - 20% (12)
    * Yoshimo - 7% (4)
    * Aerie - 16% (10)
    * Nalia - 5% (3)
    * Anomen - 0% (0)
    * Korgan - 16% (10)
    * Viconia - 20% (12)
    * Jan - 16% (10)
    * Valygar - 11% (7)
    * Keldorn - 2% (1)
    * Haer Dalis' - 8% (5)
    * Edwin - 11% (7)
    * Cernd - 2% (1)
    * Mazzy - 5% (3)
    * Sarevok - 13% (8)

Chose your favorite NPC: (one of the two your checked in #2) (Choose 1)
    * Imoen - 16% (10)
    * Minsc - 11% (7)
    * Jaheira - 15% (9)
    * Yoshimo - 2% (1)
    * Aerie - 3% (2)
    * Nalia - 0% (0)
    * Anomen - 0% (0)
    * Korgan - 3% (2)
    * Viconia - 11% (7)
    * Jan - 10% (6)
    * Valygar - 8% (5)
    * Keldorn - 2% (1)
    * Haer Dalis' - 3% (2)
    * Edwin - 7% (4)
    * Cernd - 0% (0)
    * Mazzy - 0% (0)
    * Sarevok - 8% (5)

2. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yeah, new NPC poll! Go with Viconia and Edwin people :D !

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member Member of the Week Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Finally, a chance to try and right an injustice that occurred when Lady Jaheira ended up losing to that bald dunce.

It's nice to see her kickin' some butt this go around, at least in the early going.

Jaheira ... Jaheira ... :love: :love: :love:

[ July 08, 2003, 20:41: Message edited by: Beren ]

4. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Am I the only one who voted for Mazzy after pick 3? Ridiculous! Damnit where's Ragusa when we need him?

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This is a hard one. Except for Minsc . Don't forget Boo. My golds on Minsc.

6. Arutha Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hey, it occured to me that Minsc should be disqualified for cheating.
    There should be separate entries for Boo and Minsc ! ;)

7. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

hmm i get the feeling people here vote for the npcs they love most. thus we will have some kind of 'looserfinal' instead of the battle of the best.

8. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I voted for Valygar, Sarevok and Korgan. And people, please vote for normal non-snappy and non-buggy NPCs, will you? We can't have Jaheira winning here, even if I did like her in one fic. That one, where she ended up with Jan.

*ducks

9. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I went Imoen, Yoshimo, and Sarevok, because of their importance to the storyline which made the game so fun.

10. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31

Yeah, that's the whole idea. Check rule 1:

11. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I went for Cernd-Jan-Keldorn with Keldorn as my favourite...

12. Trydan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] This poll is much better than the elimination version. Well done. Well, I went for Jaheira-Edwin-HaerDalis, although my all-time favourite is Xan (only available via a mod, though, so not listed here).

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    :jawdrop:

OK, for those of you who don't like math, here are the results after 32 votes.

Viconia leads all contestants with 23 total votes. Imoen, Jaheira and Korgan are currently in second with 20 votes each. An honorable mention goes out to Jan, who is just behind those three with 19 so far. Minsc is currently in sixth with 17, and everyone else is probably too far behind at this point to win.

More surprising is who ISN'T getting voted for. How can Sarevok have only 9 votes when he beat Korgan when they went head-to-head a few weeks back? Korgan is getting more votes now competing against everyone than when he was just up against Sarevok? :confused:

This one completely blows my mind. Keldorn has only 6 votes. To put that in perspective - that's as many votes as Yoshimo has at this point, and he's only involved for half of SoA, and none of ToB. How can this be, when he made the semi-finals of the elimination tournament?

In the "losers" division, I give you Haer Dalis', with only 4 votes. Cernd and Mazzy have 3 each. Anomen managed a single vote. But the winner is... with absolutely ZERO VOTES - Nalia! That's right! We've had 32 people vote - that's 96 potential votes, and not one of them for Nalia. You know you've hit rock bottom when you're losing to Anomen in a popularity contest!

[ July 08, 2003, 19:51: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

14. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I took Valygar-Cernd-Sarevok, in that order...

15. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] What about Edwin!? :sosad:

16. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Sorry to say but that "bald dunce" is probably going to win. I don't know why so many people like him...he spouts off a few annoying lines here and there and that's it! No romance, no ties to the storyline; just mindless comments and a big sword.

I went with Aerie, Imoen, and Serovok (in that order) because:
    • Their importance to the storyline
    • A "good" romance
    • They actually have FUNNY dialogs
    • None of them annoy me
    • They are all useful to the group
    Now, any questions? :rolling:

17. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Hm, I was going to vote for Nalia but Cernd snatched that vote away.

18. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I voted three votes for Viconia, two for Valygar and one for Haer' Dalis. Those three are the coolest.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    At this point, we probably have 2/3 of the total votes in. Unless a whole bunch of people join SP in the next few days, I can't see the total votes going much beyond 70.

So, here's the update currently - with 46 votes tallied. I'm only listing the top ones, because if they aren't near the top now, it's unlikely that there are enough votes left for them to come out on top.

So we have:

1st - Imoen - 34
    2nd - Viconia - 30
    3rd - Jaheira - 29
    3rd - Minsc - 29

Korgan, Jan and Edwin are the only other NPC's over 20. Jan and Korgan are the highest ranked NPC of the BGII originals, currently in 5th and 6th place.

@ Kitrax

Why do you think Minsc is going to win? He has never been in the lead at all when I've looked, and I check quite often. Or did you mean you expected him to beat out Jaheira?

One more quick note here. Jaheira actually has the most 1st place votes. However, Minsc, Viconia and Imoen all have more 2nd and 3rd place votes than her, which is why they have more total votes.

It's a little ironic really. The people who like Viconia, Imoen and Minsc - but did not select them as their favorite character - may in fact be responsible for one of those characters winning the vote. :hmm:

[ July 09, 2003, 22:05: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

20. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31

You people are almost forcing me to create multiple accounts :D . Come on Viconia!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.