1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: NFL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    So who do we like in the playoffs?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 5 question(s). 9 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: NFL Playoffs (9 votes.)

N.Y. Giants (6 seed) @ Philadelphia Eagles (3 seed) (Choose 1)
    * Giants - 0% (0)
    * Eagles - 100% (9)

Dallas Cowboys (5 seed) @ Seattle Seahawks (4 seed) (Choose 1)
    * Cowboys - 33% (3)
    * Seahawks - 67% (6)

Kansas City Chiefs (6 seed) @ Indianapolis Colts (3 seed) (Choose 1)
    * Chiefs - 33% (3)
    * Colts - 67% (6)

N.Y. Jets (5 seed) @ New England Patriots (4 seed) (Choose 1)
    * Jets - 33% (3)
    * Patriots - 67% (6)

Super Bowl Winner? (Choose 1)
    * San Diego Chargers (1 seed) - 56% (5)
    * Baltimore Ravens (2 seed) - 0% (0)
    * Indianapolis Colts (3 seed) - 11% (1)
    * New England Patriots (4 seed) - 11% (1)
    * New York Jets (5 seed) - 0% (0)
    * Kansas City Chiefs (6 seed) - 0% (0)
    * Chicago Bears (1 seed) - 0% (0)
    * New Orleans Saints (2 seed) - 0% (0)
    * Philadelphia Eagles (3 seed) - 22% (2)
    * Seattle Seahawks (4 seed) - 0% (0)
    * Dallas Cowboys (5 seed) - 0% (0)
    * New York Giants (6 seed) - 0% (0)

2. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Personally I see the Super Bowl being San Diego and New Orleans

Eagles over the Giants
    Chiefs over the Colts(colts can't stop Larry J)
    Cowboys over the Seahawks
    Patriots over the Jets

3. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

1. Eagles
    2. Seahawks
    3. Colts
    4. Patriots

5. I voted Eagles, but I wish that was an option for "I don't know/not sure"

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    My votes were straight chalk (i.e., I picked all the favored home teams).

It's a strange year, and I have to echo Maurolava's comments about not being sure. While conventional wisdom states that it is usually one of the top two seeds that make it to the Super Bowl, there doesn't appear to be any guarantees this year.

In the NFC, the Bears look far from dominate, and New Orleans managed to honk a game to the Redskins two weeks ago. Then again, who's going to beat them? The only NFC team entering the playoffs with an iota of momentum are the Eagles.

The AFC is a little bit clearer, as Baltimore and San Diego appear to be the best teams. But would anyone be THAT suprised if New England came to town and beat one of them?

The Colts/Chiefs game is going to be interesting. Everyone knows the Colts can't stop the run, but the Colts average 400 yards of offense and are 8-0 at home this season, so they may not have to be effective at stopping the run. This has all the makings of a 38-35 game.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think the Cowboys, the Bombers, the Arse Ticklers and the Dick Cheese's.

They don't half give teams stupid names in America!

6. Maurolava

^ OK...

I agree, unlike years before where you could tell the strong team/top seed going all the way. However this season has proven many surprises.

To mention one in particular is the Eagles, started good, but after different injuries and Donovan McNabb being out there game just went down hill, then Garcia came in and both the defense and even the offensive team step up there game.

There is other team that show the same example, it is anyone game.

As per New England. No, I don't think it will be surprise if they win.

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Sweet, Dallas lost! That fumbled snap on the waning-minutes field goal couldn't ahve happened to a better team :D

8. Maurolava

That was the worst thing that could happen to Romo. I'm happy that the Seahawks win, but I feal bad about him. He's never gonna forget that one.

Well, I'm 2 and 0. Two more games to go. :D

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Considering that the Eagles lost two early-season games on last-second FGs - to the Giants and Saints, if memory serves me correctly - I'd say that yesterday's result was karma repaid.

Tiki Barber went out well. Too bad about Lito Sheppherd's elbow, he's likely out for the game against Nawlins.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    This is the first time in a while that all of the division winners won. I can't remember the last time that not a single wild card team advanced into the divsional round. So the eight remaining teams represent all of the division winners.

Much to my chagrin, this is shaping up great for Baltimore. I think the Colts are a much better matchup for the Ravens than the Patriots.

Here are this coming weekend's divisional matchups:

Indianapolis Colts (#3) @ Baltimore Ravens (#2)
    New England Patriots (#4) @ San Diego Chargers (#1)
    Seattle Seahawks (#4) @ Chicago Bears (#1)
    Philadelphia Eagles (#3) @ New Orleans Saints (#2)

I won't go straight chalk this week. I'll take both the 2 seeds, along with the Patriots and (very tentatively) the Bears. The Bears are impossible to predict. If Grossman has even a decent game, the Bears should cruise to an easy victory. However, in each of Grossman's last four starts, he's thrown 3 interceptions. You can't have that.

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I think it's going to be a Ravens - Eagles Super Bowl. And although I love the Eagles, I think they're going to come up short again.

I'd like to see the Chargers go all the way too...Either way, I think the AFC is too strong for the NFC this year.

Conference match ups will be:

Eagles vs Bears
    Patriots vs Ravens

12. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

@ Aldeth

Yea but I think that in Indianapolis is smart they will spread the field: the one thing that noone has done to Baltimore all year, and seeing as when Roethlisberger had time to throw he picked apart Reed, Rolle, and McCallister I think the great and all powerful Payton Manning(/sarcasm) should be able to with his offense.Ravens have always faired poorly when someone just spreads it out and goes no huddle, which Indianapolis does better than anyone.

13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm feeling fairly good about my choices at the beginning of the season -- I correctly guessed half the teams in the playoffs and five of those are still alive.

Although this past week the top seed won in every game, I think we have a strong possibity of two upsets:

Seattle over Chicago
    New Orleans over Philadelphia

San Diego over New England
    Indianapolis over Baltimore

The Bears defense is still not back to full strength. Of course, neither is Seattle's. Rex Grossman may not have the experience enough to really capitalize on the weak secondary of Seattle (just as Tony Romo was unable to do). Seattle will come in ready to stop the run and have multiple weapons on offense. This was probably the best matchup for Seattle as either Brees or Garcia would certainly be able to pick apart the weak corners of Seattle.

I agree with iLLusioN' -- no huddle with 3 or 4 wide outs and Baltimore is in for a long day. The offensive line of Indianapolis is quite good at protecting Manning -- Baltimore must dominate the line of scrimmage and hit Manning often if they are going to win. The Baltimore offense cannot keep up with Indianapolis in a shootout.

Of course anything can happen, but I don't see San Diego rolling over to New England (even though I think the Patriots have the potential to anyone). At New Orleans: I have to give the advantage to the 12th man.

14. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    The Eagles aren't going to lose until the Super Bowl!!

E-A-G-L-E-S!

15. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Fly Eagles fly!...

The Saints are going to be tough though. But we'll see...

Hey, how about that Westbrook?

16. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    Westbrook looked great! Even with a stomach ache! I just hope Leto Sheppard will be back next week...

17. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    In Belicheck (and Brady) we trust.

Go Pats!

18. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I agree Snook! Except, this game is going to be really tough (against the Chargers), 'specially with Harrison still out... I wish he was healthy.

But if we beat the chargers, I think we can go all the way to the Bowl of Superbness.

19. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I was 50% this weekend and my picks at the beginning of the season were knocked out yesterday (so much for a Seattle/ San Diego superbowl).

I think the Bears/Saints is going to come down to the weather. Right now (and I don't trust forecasts a week out) we're due for 30°F and a slight chance of snow. I think the advantage goes to the Bears below freezing.

Colts/Patriots is tough to call. Two very evenly matched teams. I think where River's failed, Manning will succeed and the holes in the Pats defense are going to show. The real key will be which Colt defense shows up -- the one that's played unbelievable well in the playoffs, or the regular season defense. Once again, I think the twelth man makes the difference here (just as in New Orleans saturday). Advantage Colts.

20. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I think if Rodney Harrison comes back, our defense will be able to hold. That was basically the reason we won yesterday... our offense did barely anything until it was under pressure, but our defense forced good things to happen.

Of course, Peyton Manning has not beaten us in the playoffs, so he'll be trying hard... if we can cover Marvin Harrison (essentially his only receiver), we can stifle most of their long drives.

But I think that coming off that tough win against the Chargers we will be able to carry the energy over to the next game and hopefully add the talent that was not there.

Pats over Colts. Close game, though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.