1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: NPC Elimination Finals

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jun 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Here we go - the Finals!

While both votes were fairly close (winner had less than 60% of the votes), in the end it is your baby sister Imoen, facing off against Minsc. As I mentioned in my last post, by the time we reached the semi-finals, it was certain that we were getting a BGI original to be the winner.

Since everyone else posts their opinions, but I seldom do, and since this poll is only one question long, I feel the need as this is the last one.

IMO, this is perhaps the easiest round of the poll. Imoen, your whiny little sister (who supposedly is a child of Bhaal, even though she doesn't disintegrate like the other Bhaalspawn in the game) versus what is probably the most humorous personality in the game in Minsc.

I voted against Imoen when she went up against Jan. I voted against Imoen when she went up against Edwin. I voted against Imoen when she went up against Viconia. I'm going to keep the streak alive, and hope Minsc lays a beat down on her. Plus, it will give some consolation to the Jaheria lovers out there, knowing she lost to the guy who won the tournament.

I grow tired of hurling battle cries at this wizard. Evil, meet Sword! SWORD MEET EVIL!

[ June 06, 2003, 04:33: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 87 user(s) have voted.

Poll Results: NPC Elimination Finals (87 votes.)

Imoen and Minsc (Choose 1)
    * Imoen (defeated Jan, Edwin, Viconia) - 48% (42)
    * Minsc (defeated Valygar, Jaheria, Sarevok - much harder draw) - 52% (45)

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I will inspire you by charging blindly on!

Vote for Minsc (and Boo, of course)!

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, only 5 votes in and the mindless dolt is winning by a landslide! :flaming:
    I still say that blood is thicker than bread and water...plus, Imoen is less anoying. I think Minsc stoped being funny, and usefull once I started BGII. Maybe he should have another massive head trauma so that he doesn't wake up afterwards... :rolling:

4. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Ahh, who to vote for?!? I can't decide, Right through out the whole thing I've supported both of them. Minsc and his beloved hamster? or my cheerful happy sister Imoen? [chews his nails neviously] I guess I just wont.

5. Tayja Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

None shall see me. Although... my battle cry may give me away...

I love Minsc, no question. If any of you mighty programmer dudes would like help with romantic Minsc dialogue... I'm in. Its time for Minsc to get a mod, and maybe that quest that didn't get finished.

If she wasn't my sister I woulda dumped her neurotic butt a long time ago. She could run either the mages or the thieves guild in my absence... her choice. Retirement bennies if she just stays out of trouble and out of my way.

6. andrew61388 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Feel the wrath of my hamster, Imoen.

Vote for Minsc. I still can't believe Minsc got past Sarevok, sweet!

7. sirfrank Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Imoen, with God of Murder eyes simmerin'
    mortal feet flee...

But Minsc, with two sets of eyes thinsks
    stare burning no other worth learning.

Note for evil thy dispair: Minsc is my vote!

(Misspelled word is intentional for the poem)

8. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I have come to a decision, I want this vote to be a draw! so I'm going to vote for the person who is going to lose (ie. Imoen).

9. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Minsc, ofcourse.

If the whiny brat wins, I am going to do something drastic. Lets just hope that Idiot...whoops...IMOEN doesn't win.
    Overly cheerful people should be shot.

10. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well, I voted for Imoen. I haven't seen any arguments for her yet in this thread so here I go.

Minsc adds nothing special to the game, other than a less than intelligent voicepack and dialogue script, a useless berzerking ability and a space taking space hamster (I think he's a SPACE hamster because he takes up SPACE) who only serves to annoy me.

On the other hand, although Imoen is slightly irritating in that she sees the glass as half full (even when it has been smashed to bits by that Lich in the corner), she is one of the more versatile characters in my opinion, not to mention a vital part of the storyline and the PC's sister.

:yot: -> Personally I think Imoen should get some sort of cool ability (being a Bhaalspawn after all), like Deathbringer Assault or Slayer Change. Nothing too fighter-ish, but something that will set her apart from the other NPCs and relflects her status as a Bhaalspawn.

Just my thoughts... :shake:

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Personaly I think that Imoen is a better developed character than Minsc who actually adds to the plot, not just comic refief. I think that some parts of her character could have been done better but hey, **** happens.
    This is a close one, though I can't see how Minsc had the harder draw there. Lots of people like Edwin, Viconia and Jan.

12. Trydan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Minsc seemed to be nuttier than ever in BG2. I though his BG1 days were better. Still, he is a solid fighter, with good strength. There are a few places where the berserker rage is useful, so while not amazing, this talent is not completely wasted either. On the other hand, there were no great sub-quests for Minsc (unlike Jaheira).

Imoen improved dramatically from BG1 to BG2, but she is still as irritating as ever. Her dual-classing point was not optimally placed as well, making her less useful than other casters.

corbulo87 wrote that Imoen was "a vital part of the storyline". I don't think this makes any difference to this argument here. I ended up really liking Jon Irrenicus, and would love to see him as a party NPC, should my dreams come true, and BG3 is written. Or BG1.5 - now there's an idea!

In both cases, Minsc and Imoen would be good characters at the start of the game but others would be better in the long run (I've never perservered with Imoen, but that was certainly the case with Minsc). Others also had better roleplaying dialogue too. In my mind, Minsc and Imoen would be the last ones to make it to the final, but given this choice, I'd vote for Minsc.

13. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I had to go for Minsc...Ever since I found out Imoen was my sister, I've just been turned off!

Minsc is great! He's been with me since Nashkel! I go all the way with him!

14. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Imoen got my vote.

... the stupid hamster lover is too annoying.

15. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

All the way for Imoen. I just happen to like of her positive demeanor more than Minsc's "let's kick evil's butt" -one. Still, it could be... hmm... where is my coin...?

16. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Ok, Minsc is defeating Imoen with 2 votes more than she has.

Good.

17. Keihdra Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Go for the eyes, Boo. Go for the eyes!

18. Day to Night Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Now who to vote for, the Idiot with the hamster ot the most pathetic Bhaal Spawn ever. Tough choice. :confused:

Why couldn't someone cool of got through like Jan or Ariel or even at a push Cerend?

19. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Write the dialogue and give me some ideas for the quest, and I'll give you your mod.

Imoen does get spells as special abilites (like the PC got).

I had to go with the sister. Aside from being much better developed, she's still the protag's sister and blood is thick.

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Heh...I just realized that ever since a few years ago, the only time I have talked to minsc is when I got a little too close to his cage in the very first part of the game...but still, all I did was mute my speakers, and told him to get lost once he broke free. Usually I just leave his ass locked up.
    Here's an idea...don't do it. I can't believe there are people who even consider romancing Minsc! "Boo wants to know, will you be sleeping with us tonight?"
    *shudder*
    That's just not right. :rolling:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.