1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Posts in the Alley

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Blog, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Reading through a number of thoughtful and well-formatted posts in the Alley of Dangerous Angles has got me thinking... How much time does it take you to compose your reply?

(Include both the time spent on reading preceeding posts AND the time spent writing your own reply because I didn't think of that until AFTER I made the poll :doh: )

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 22 user(s) have voted.

Poll Results: Posts in the Alley (22 votes.)

Time taken to post reply in the AoDA (approximately) (Choose 1)
    * 15 min or less - 45% (10)
    * 30 min - 45% (10)
    * 45 min - 5% (1)
    * 60 min - 5% (1)
    * 75 min - 0% (0)
    * 90 min or more - 0% (0)

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I spend "way too much" time in the Alley (hence my vote to shut it down and let me sleep at night ;) )

Sometimes I try to ignore some of the debates, because they really are pointless. But then someone (joac or such) hits one of my hot buttons, and I go off.

But that's the fun of it!

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

When I was active in the alley, I would always reread my posts at least once before submitting them. There were times when I toned it down after a second reading.
    I wish more people would take time to consider what they are saying. I have found that most serious topics are so littered with ignorance and foolishness that it is pointless trying to have a real discussion/debate.
    That is why I have so little to say these days.

4. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Well true Jack,

But there are people among us I love to discuss withm, like Capstone :D
    Not that I like bashing Christians :toofar: , I just like a good discussion

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are people among us I love to discuss withm, like Morgoth
    Not that I like bashing Non-Christians , I just like a good discussion.

Thing is, that when I'm busy typing my post, I loose concentration on what I want to post and how I want to put it, because I'm too busy finding a proper translation. And then I think: Oh what the heck! Just skip it.
    So I read quite a lot, I type for a while and post almost nothing. :D

6. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I do that a lot too. That's also why most of my posts in the alley (which are few) are usually really short posts.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hehe. That's funny that you two mention that because I'm sure it's true of many of the non-native English speakers here.

I often see posts from people like Ragusa or joaquin that aren't well-written English, and I think "Boy what happened there; these guys are usually very well spoken". Then I realize that of course they aren't native speakers of English, and I'm amazed that most of the time I can't tell :)

8. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

I agree with Jack - so many of the posts in the Alley are gettting nastier and nastier that there really is no point in getting involved anymore. I get so sick of reading posts that do nothing more than moan and flame that I rarely even try to think of a reply.

:heh: Besides, nobody likes my point of view anyways!!!

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I find that, after a while, I no longer bother with a post that started out interesting because they almost all degenerate into flames. If I catch one on the first page, I'll take the time to read it all and respond in an intelligent (or as close as possible) fashion. If it's on the second page, I'll give it a shot. By the third page, I almost never read it.

I re-read my posts at least once to correct spelling and grammar and to tone down unnecessary rhetoric. Sometimes, of course, I'm just trying to interject a little humor, but, in the Alley, not that much.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is not only that I am not a native speaker that my post very often seem very weird. Actually if I take the time to think things through and reread I could get my post perfectly written but if I did that the thought I wanted posted most likely would have disapeared from my mind. I literally have to grab the moment and post when I can otherwise I dont know what to say. Another problem that I have is that mind tends to work faster than my fingers when I type and post, thus I often leave out entire words or create very weird sentence structures. The bad part is that if I go back and try to edit it I might be able to fill in the lost words but often I have forgotten what perfect argument I had been trying to express and thus it is almost better to leave my lousy English and hope you are able to interpret what I meant to say.

Last but not least, I am also extremely lazy...

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I'm rarely the first poster in an AoDA topic for several reasons:
    1) While I know how I feel on most topics, I don't always have facts at my fingertips to support my position.
    2) By the time I've waited to compose my reply, very often someone else has made that same point, and I won't waste bits saying "Me, too."
    3) When I really disagree with someone, it often takes me quite some time to compose a reply that doesn't come across as a personal attack.

12. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I take time to read all the posts in each thread. But I probably spend most of my time thinking and typing my reply. I usually don't edit after posting beacuse I use the preview option. I also keep my posts short if possible. Long posts are hard to read because of eye fatigue, lack of coherence etc. I don't want the same things to happen to others.

13. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I try to be grammatically, factually, and logically correct in all of my posts, but that only takes about 5 minutes, if that, to accomplish.

14. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

These results so far are making this poll look bad. Should have considered smaller time intervals in the 1-60 min range instead of the higher two options. (Another :doh: )

*sigh* oh well.

I find it quite surprising that so many you only need 15 min or less. In a short time like that, I would still be in a stage of brain-storming ideas. And in this drafting stage, the ideas are scattered and as Charlie points out, lacking coherence. But then again, English and debating isn't my cup of tea, so maybe it's just me.

[ March 21, 2003, 05:52: Message edited by: Blog ]

15. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    It depends what you're posting on....some things you may have a strong view so it takes longer to explain it :)

16. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I take care to think over what I post to the alley, for I still remember how I got my butt kicked after a rather not-very-well-thought-out post in a very serious topic afterr I has just registered and I was but a floating eyeball... Or was I a goblin? Can't recall... :p

I respect the other posters in the alley enough that often I don't even post at all after I realize that there is no good way to put what I want to say in words. If I could only garble, flame and be a dork, why post?

Then again, quite often my emotions get a hold of me. Me no Jedi :rolleyes:

(Who, me, rant?)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.