1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Reading Ed Greenwood

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Falstaff, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

So, I was surfing Amazon the other day, and was cruising through some book reviews for Forgotten Realms books. At some point, I began looking at the reviews for all of Ed Greenwood's books.

To put it bluntly, most people think he is a terrible writer and is not worth the six or seven dollars spent on his books.

Although I agree with the fact that his writing style is a bit - er - lacking, generally his books are still at the least an entertaining read.

What are your opinions on the creator of the Forgotton Realms?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 12 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Reading Ed Greenwood (12 votes.)

What do you think of Ed Greenwood's Books? (Choose 1)
    * Oh My God! Mystra is soooo hot!!! - 0% (0)
    * The Best! They should be mandatory high school reading! - 8% (1)
    * Decent. His style is lacking, but his stories are entertaining. - 83% (10)
    * Terrible! How did Greenwood ever get a publishing contract? - 0% (0)
    * Elminster must die!!! - 8% (1)

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Not even close to literature, but most of us drop our standards on escapist literature pretty low... Especially for FR. There's also the fact that, like it or not, he's the only one writing about some of the most interesting stuff in FR, so you don't have much choice but to read him if you want to learn about that. But there are many other, better authors writing for WoTC... Just check the FR books listing on SP.

3. Falstaff

Trust me, Taluntain, I know -- I own most of them and have read them all many many times! Besides, it is not just about literature - it is about aesthetics, too. Anyways, I am just checking out what others think about the books of the more prolific FR novelist and creator

4. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Well, I disagree with both of you! While, admittedly, I started reading fantasy books just recently, I thought that Greenwood's El books were not only entertaining as fiction, but a superior example of lifelike characterization and plot weaving, to the point that I read all four of his books, cover to cover, scarcely being able to put them down. His ability to create his character, Elminster, to be bigger than life, with a personality that, quite simply, leaps off the page at you, should not be understated. I thought his books moved quickly plot-wise, his characters, in general, were very memorable, and, while Greenwood may not be viewed as a literary icon in your eyes, I can most definitely say that his writing made quite an impression on me. Waiting on #5!

5. Falstaff

Well, Spellbound, I would have to agree with you - his Elminster books are his finest work, but have you ever looked at some of his other books? Perhaps the Spellfire series - just one big circular chase scene. THere are good things in there, but he tends to be a little overblown in his characterization. Still good escapism, though!

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The more fantasy (and more varied) you read, the less you appreciate Greenwood. I suppose that if you're new to the genre and start with Greenwood, you don't have anything to compare it to, and since it's not really bad, must think it's great. But wait till you read some more stuff from different authors. There are very few true Greenwood fans out there for a reason. That doesn't mean that we don't read him, though. ;)

7. Spellbound

I'm curious....what is it, in your view, that's so sub-literary about his writings? I'm sure, as time goes on, I'll read other authors' works that I find as interesting, if not more so than Greenwood's. But I compare his work to other general fiction that I have read, and I don't see the shortcomings that you've alluded to. Can you elaborate? :hmm:

8. Taluntain

Media:
    The general style and the overstuffing of most of his novels with sex, simply because sex sells. (And no, there's no denying this one. He admitted it himself, though not in so many words.)

Basically, he writes what TSR and now WoTC told him people want to read, and what sells the most. So he's like 99% of female characters in his novels... All too eager to give. Only that he charges you for it. Good thing paperbacks are cheap. :shake:

[ October 29, 2002, 22:39: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

9. Spellbound

Hmmm, I do indeed enjoy reading about sexual escapades, but I hadn't made the connection of this common theme in all of the fiction that I've been reading lately -- how could I have missed that?

Sex in a novel does indeed sell, but I thought there was more to his work than just that....I was comparing his work on writing quality, ability to hold a reader's attention, etc. Your thoughts?

And, no, I'm not touching the "women too eager to give" remark, though I did note a touch of that. :shake:

10. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I've never read any of Greenwood's books, but I always enjoyed his "Ecologies" and "Tomes" articles in Dragon Magazine. He is the creator of the FR too!

I would like to check out the Elminster book series...I remember seeing them in the bookstore, but I never picked it up...

11. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, I'm no literary critic, but I've read enough books to develop a feeling that quickly tells me how high I should rate a book... It's very easy... You just start with all the obvious quirks. With Greenwood, there's a whole fill of those. Unbelievable characters (yes, even for fantasy - practically all women El meets anywhere he sooner or later has sex with. How realistic is that?), shaky plot, and most of all, awful predictability. I've read very few of Greenwood's that wasn't highly predictable. His language isn't anything to write home about either. Just some of the things I can remember on top of my head...

12. Falstaff

Ditto to all of the things Taluntain just said - Sometimes you just get tired of hearing about Elminster's escapades with the opposite sex. Personally, I feel that his characters remain largely undeveloped - they stay static for the entire story - although they may learn secrets about themselves, this knowledge does not really change them in any way. Also, his heroes are too infallible and his villains too predictable.

As for his style, well, he could certainly invest in a new thesaurus - it is just the same words over and over and over again.

Still - he is entertaining at the very least.

13. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Elminster is Greenwood's version of James Bond, with a personal diety added in for spice. Whether or not that's a good thing depends on how much you enjoy B movies.

14. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

There was an interview with Ed Greenwood in a local magazine not too long ago and he said that he wrote approximately one book every two days. He spends all his weekends and evenings writing and scribbles a bit during slow hours at the library where he works. So I'd be amazed if he *didn't* use the same phrases over and over in new combinations. Actually a lot of writers who aren't nearly so prolific end up doing that by about their tenth novel anyway. And as for the sex, well, that's a common problem with SF and fantasy novels in general. The male protagonists have sex with every female in the book who isn't obviously a villain, sometimes with most of them at the same time. Once I thought this was a combination of wishful thinking and over-identification with the protagonist, but having met a particular science fiction author that is infamous for this once, it occurred to me then that maybe men who don't have much sex think this is what male-female relationships are really like for other guys. Someone who spends every waking moment with a pencil in hand probably doesn't get laid much so can't write from personal experience... poor guys. Anyway. My point is that I suspect that he's doing the best he can under the circumstances. For books written in two days, they really aren't bad at all!

15. Taluntain

Media:
    You sure you read that right? He gets 1 to 2 novels, tops, published by WoTC per year. And he wrote little that got published by anyone else. So if he does write a book every two days, it's just for his own amusement. But I really doubt he manages to write anything near book-worthy every two days. I'd say it's physically impossible as well. He's a librarian, after all. I presume he works in a library regularly.

Anyway, I read a lot of excellent fantasy that wasn't sex-centered. Pratchett, for example.

[ November 04, 2002, 22:40: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

16. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

A lot of what Ed writes, and has written, doesn't get published. Or at least it hasn't yet. In the article Sprite is referring to he did say that he manages to write at that prolific pace. But writting and publishing are certainly two different things. And I'm pretty sure that he (Ed) is also referring to a lot of his writing that gets disected into various spreads in Dragon magazine and various other places.

I think that, as a creator, there are very few who can match his skill and ability at present in creating an entire world. But for actual novel writing, he definitely could improve IMO. That said, there are a lot of people (including major fans) that will say the same thing about Tolkien - I know I'm going to take heat for this, but hear me out :p Tolkien's actual writing style (the prose) isn't that great, and by itself doesn't warrant the attention and fame his name has gained. It's *what* he wrote that makes him great: an entire world, complete from beginning to end.

Also, from the very beginning of the published life of the Forgotten Realms, TSR (and now WotC) have pretty much dictated a lot of the material. Originally, they also had the absolute final say in content as well. IRC some of Ed's first books were quite bastardized by the time they came to print.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    They still have the absolute final say in what Greenwood writes for them. They tell him what sells the most, and he writes more of it. It's as simple as that. Every few years they actually let him write something that he wants and they know will sells less, just to keep him happy. Like now where he had the chance to sparkle up & finish the Shandril Saga. They still cut out a third of what he wanted to put in. :heh:

As for his ability to create worlds... Well, if you consider taking an existing idea and stretching it for very creative, then I suppose yes. But there's less than 10% of what could be called original in anything of his, it's mostly copying from dozens of various sources (primarily Tolkien) and reshaping it. Hardly anything to be very proud of. I respect the creators of Planescape who actually came up with a world so totally different that it doesn't feel like plagiarism of a dozen different authors. How ironic that Planescape never gained even a fraction of popularity that FR did. But, as the saying goes, people are generally stupid. Especially when it comes to recognizing good fantasy.

[ November 05, 2002, 13:03: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

18. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I agree with the Tolkien observation. He's great at describing nature and putting together languages and history...But I always thought his descriptions of characters was a little shallow and lacking.

You never really feel like you're getting to know a character in Tolkien's books, you are always an observer being guided along on a tour. There seems to be a lack of richness and definition to his character descriptions. At least I've found that.

19. Falstaff

Hmmm, I have never really noticed that, Bel, I guess that I will just have to go back and read Lord of the Rings yet again...

darn... :grin:

But at least Tolkien has a vocabulary - you really cannot say the same for Ed, no matter how important and prolific his work has been. I am glad he created the FR, but I wish he had used one of the thesauri in his library.

(And yes, I still like reading Ed Greenwood)

20. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

As for Greenwood, I've only read his Elminster series and those books he wrote in the Double Diamond Triangle Saga (9 books less than a hundred pages each, written by a big mix of authors), and I found that in his description of Elminster he did a fine job, but that's it, he didn't seem capable of bringing any other characters to life, IMO. I agree that Greenwood tried too hard to stuff sex into his books, especially El in Hell, the book was like a fantasy-romance hybrid.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.