1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Roleplay Resting

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Xerxes, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Xerxes Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Pretty simple poll, do you guys rest when ever you need to or try to role-play your rest into proper time slots of the day.

I try to roleplay my own resting only when its dark but sometimes when my char would know something big is comeing up then ill rest to be prepared.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 38 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Roleplay Resting (38 votes.)

Roleplay Resting (Choose 1)
    * Rest when you need to - 61% (23)
    * Roleplay your rest - 39% (15)

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    IMO, resting when you need to can be roleplayed. If you've just finished a big battle, and are tired/wounded/spells depleted etc. then it is only smart to rest before continuing on to face new unknown challenges. The question would be, where to rest? Do you do it out in the open, or do you try to find some secluded, hidden area or an inn?

3. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I try to rest as little as possible and my parties are mostly warrior heavy for that same reason. The mage's job in my party is to bring down physical defences of other mages or the occasional area effect spell. Cleric's job is to shut up, stay out of combat and heal my party or cure any ailments they are inflicted with during the battle.

I find resting all the time to be pansy, against the storyline and boring since it makes the game too easy. It's against the storyline because if you're playing a good party you'll be trying to free Imoen as soon as possible and you can't do that spending time enjoying your 'royal' room at an inn.

4. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

As Splunge said. Resting when you need is roleplay. Atleast if you define "need" in this question as I do. I dont rest as soon as possible after casting a spell. But when every spell is used and my party is to wounded to carry on.

5. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I agree very much with what Abomination said. If you're of good alignment you should not waste any time - sleeping, while your best childhood friend is at the mercy of one obviously crazed mage.
    Of course this would also exclude all the quests in the second chapter. Doing them in 6th is a bit more of a good option. After all you're the one who is dying. This actualy makes a good point... Good guys are supposed to wander around helping people in 6th chapter, while Evil ones are intended to wander around looting/killing/backstabbing in the first chapter already.
    It doesnt apply always naturaly... Even if evil, a person might want to save Imoen just the same, though surely not through the same means.
    Ah, what babble *shrugs* :)

6. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Evil characters don't care about Imoen, unless they care about how useful she would be to the PC. What evil character's care about is this so called 'promised' 'power' Jon is talking about and evil characters would want revenge for Jon torturing them.

7. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I can think of a couple of good characters that don't care about Imoen -- namely every character I run. That aside, evil and good characters rescue Imoen because in order to achieve their ultimate goal (whether it be power, revenge, or out of the kindness of their heart), they have to rescue her.

8. Xerxes Gems: 3/31

Well I certainly wudn't be rescuing her for power! As soon as im in the spellhold labarynth i tell her to get stuffed, its funny thought how she always makes it back alive completely by herself...

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, I personally tend to see resting when nexessary as roleplay resting. The fact is, anyone on their right mind would wnat to face horrors and unimaginable evil well-rested and prepared, yes? This means that I won't do the cheesy "oops, out of fireballs, better rest..." thing, but rather, make sure that it is logical for me to rest.

As for Imoen... well, my evil chars are equally interested in revebnge and rescuing Immy. After all, she's "*my*" brat sister, and no one messes with me or those I have chosen to care about!

Make any sense?

10. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I keep trying to rest at night (primarily because it avoids those Vampire problems in chap 2, but I always find I run out of spells and such and can't do much of anything with my weakling evil party until I've got them back.

As for Imy, as an evil one I might rescue her, but that's only because she helped me get out of the cage in the first place, and I'm not gonna have anyone with a personal debt they can throw back at me.

11. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I tend to only rest when my front liners get tired. I usually don't care about my spell casters (unless someone here says that being tired really drops the effectiveness of the spell), so they just plod along whining all the time, whether or not they have spells to cast. Once my fighters start to complain, then I start looking for a nice closed location to sleep (I like rooms that I can close doors if I cannot use an inn).

I would see this as roleplay resting.

12. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Neither.
    I barely ever rest, not because of roleplay but because I like my characters to be versatile enough to work properly without sleeping before and after every battle.
    That said, when I first got the game it didn't take long before I was working on a plan on beating it without resting.

13. Crom the Powerfull Gems: 3/31

And have you done it already ? I guess it will be a all fighter party then since mages tend to be uesless with their 4th level spells as a max ;) Ïnteresting challenge...

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    My solo PC never rests/sleeps...why? Because he's an Elf, that’s why. Now if the poll included "meditate", or "altered state of consciousness", then I would go with the 'only when necessary' option. Since he doesn't have to bother with spells, the only time meditating becomes necessary is when he has only a few HPs left or gets fatigued and complains. :rolling:

15. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    @Crom
    Pure fighter classes are not exactly fit for long term no-rest adventuring, since they are too lacking in versatility and though have more than enough melee-power will not have enough against the more powerful encounters.

I think what Elves do can legitimately be called resting, depending on how you use the word. :)

16. keldor Gems: 5/31

Even elves need rest; they just don't do it in the 'normal' manner of sleep.
    This is a very interesting thread. Myself, I always try to push on as quickly as possible on the grounds that time is pressing throughout the story. Since my character has 18 CON he can do this better than most and in my mind, his 20 WIS helps too (he has inhuman will power). When he isn't soloing, and the other characters get exhausted, I play him as a slave driver, on the grounds that he is a berserker with a monstrous temper and finds it difficult to accept that he is special in his ability to go for days without sleep. Only when their abilities are becoming compromised or Keldor (my character) himself is unable to continue from exhaustion, do we stop. That said, his WIS demands that he treat his companions well in every other way or they would leave and this he does by shouldering the brunt of the dangers himself, freely handing out the magical items, and buying drinks all round when they all stay in a tavern. I really like to think through the reasoning behind my characters' behaviour, even down to the drinks they choose.
    On this subject, in pencil and paper D&D, every spell a mage or priest memorises takes ten minutes of reading per spell level before the spell is ready for use. On these grounds, spellcasters would generally be loath to cast *any* spell at any time, let alone cast the high level ones! Can you imagine roleplaying the rest for spell memorisation?

17. Elendrile Gems: 5/31

You can't do as much in-depth roleplaying in a CRPG as in PnP so I really don't see the point in trying. If you're exploring a dungeon and you run out of spells or are too wounded to cary on, of course you're going to rest. But in a CRPG all you do is hit the rest button rather than make your way out of the dungeon and do whatever you choose to fill the rest of the day until night when you set up camp.
    And how would you justify the 20+ hour walks between areas? No one's going to walk that long, you'd have to stop and rest for a while in there. The point is there's just somethings that aren't meant to be roleplayed in CRPG's and restings one of them.

18. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I count the LOOONG walks as sleep. Sure they did not have a grand continental railways in the game. But most of the travel is between cities in BG2. So it is reasonable to expect they hired a caravan(?) and as such this includes a period of sleep.

19. Tronak el Karbaro Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If Gamers intended resting to be roleplayed, it would take weeks for a 20th cleric or mage to memorize all his spells, having as many as forty a day. So, resting is a fairly cheesy way to have your party at 100% at all times.

20. Terelya Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I rest when I need to, for example to memorize spells or when the characters complain about fatigue. When I do rest I go to an inn, or if I´m outdoors, I try to find a place that seems to be safe.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.