1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Salvatore's Drizzt books poll.

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Foradasthar, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Honour from this, goes to Khazar's thread.

In other words, this is a poll about which of Salvatore's Drizzt books are the best, and which are most suited for a movie.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 5 question(s). 23 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Salvatore's Drizzt books poll. (23 votes.)

Which book(s) is best? (Choose 2)
    * Homeland - 52% (12)
    * Exile - 35% (8)
    * Sojourn - 22% (5)
    * The Crystal Shard - 4% (1)
    * Streams of Silver - 0% (0)
    * The Halfling's Gem - 4% (1)
    * The Legacy - 4% (1)
    * Starless Night - 4% (1)
    * Siege of Darkness - 0% (0)
    * Passage to Dawn - 0% (0)
    * The Silent Blade - 0% (0)
    * Spine of the World - 0% (0)
    * Servant of the Shard - 17% (4)
    * Sea of Swords - 0% (0)

Which "collection" is the best. (Choose 1)
    * The Dark Elf Trilogy - 74% (17)
    * The Icewind Dale Trilogy - 22% (5)
    * The Legacy of the Drow - 4% (1)
    * Paths of Darkness - 0% (0)

Which single book(s) would you prefer they made a film of. (Choose 2)
    * Homeland - 43% (10)
    * Exile - 22% (5)
    * Sojourn - 13% (3)
    * The Crystal Shard - 22% (5)
    * Streams of Silver - 4% (1)
    * The Halfling's Gem - 4% (1)
    * The Legacy - 0% (0)
    * Starless Night - 0% (0)
    * Siege of Darkness - 4% (1)
    * Passage to Dawn - 0% (0)
    * The Silent Blade - 13% (3)
    * Spine of the World - 0% (0)
    * Servant of the Shard - 13% (3)
    * Sea of Swords - 4% (1)

Which "collection" do you think they should make a film, possibly a trilogy of. (Choose 1)
    * The Dark Elf Trilogy - 61% (14)
    * The Icewind Dale Trilogy - 22% (5)
    * The Legacy of the Drow - 9% (2)
    * Paths of Darkness - 9% (2)

How would you define the level of Salvatore's work in general? (Choose 1)
    * The best! Better than Tolkien's LoTR even (or equal)! - 17% (4)
    * Very good, better than most. - 57% (13)
    * The casual ok -level fantasy. - 13% (3)
    * I've seen better. To think of it, I've seen a whole lot of better works than his. - 13% (3)
    * I've almost made a suicide thanks to incompetent morons such as him. - 0% (0)

2. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I voted twice for 'Servant of the Shard' in the single movie or book. And I voted twice for 'the dark elf trilogy' for collection purpose.

Oh and I think Salvatore is a great writer.

3. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I've only read two of Salvatore's books, so I'm not going to make a real judgment on his works. However, from the two that I have read, I would say that there are much better fantasy works out there than what he's made. Conversely, I can see why his books are so popular; most of them seem very action-packed, and Drizzt fans probably love the idea of a good Drow Ranger.

4. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] There should be an option in the poll for those of us who would only pay to see a Drizzt movie if it were just an hour and a half of Drizzt and company being savagely tortured.

5. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hm you forgot to put Thousand Orcs on your polls

6. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Ah yes. I'd forgotten about the Thousand Orcs. Gotta buy that soon too. Maybe today.

As far as the Drizzt books in general go, I have to disagree with that "too action packed" theory, as far as the Dark Elf Trilogy goes. There's no denying that Salvatore has managed to put a lot more feeling into those stories that have a far bigger message to tell than just the fact that Drizzt is an awesome fighter. The Dark Elf Trilogy has plenty of loss and sadness in it, nothing like the mindless hacking you see in the later Drizzt novels. Or former, as Icewind Dale wasn't that good either.

[ February 13, 2003, 13:15: Message edited by: Foradasthar ]

7. Loeryn Fettan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Don't get me wrong, I am a great fan of Salvatore's books. However, I could never see a decent movie made out of a Drizzt book. It would have to be over-the-top and besides in a movie you would lose Salvatore's way with words which is IMO the best things about his books. So while I am a big fan of Drizzt, unless the movie is about 12 hours long it could not portray the books too well.

8. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I just started reading The Dark Elf Trilogy, my first Salvatore book and my first read about the drow. Absolutely captivating! :D Can hardly put it down... (And I can, most definitely, see "Homeland" played out on the big screen!)

9. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I also just started in Homeland (about halfway through now) and I don't think it's too action packed. I love how Salvatore describes Drizzt's growing up, and the emotions of the various characters.

Also, the whole "The parry is wrong" thing had me grinning from ear to ear. :grin:

10. The Archmage Neon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'd have to say that his are some of the best, and he is a very excellent writer. Homeland all the way, and for the trilogy questions The Dark Elf Trilogy! Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn are some of the best I've read in my time with books, and that's saying quite a bit!

EDIT - Congrats C'Jakob! your post number has reached 1337! \/\/31c0m3 70 |-|/-\ck3r 1/-\nD!

[ February 19, 2003, 08:47: Message edited by: Lord Neon ]

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Salvatore was a good writer I believe, and may have risen out of crapulance. The Dark Elf Trilogy as a movie :drool: (now there is a smilie we need)

12. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Salvatore IS a good writer still. Problem is that he has to write quite an amount in quite a short time to get all the jobs that he's offered done anywhere in his lifetime. An as is well known, usually quality is gained at the expense of quantity, and vice versa.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I watched how many books for how many different stories, movies and settings he has written in the past few years.

13. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

After seeing how high Homeland was rated I have to wonder if anyone who voted it as his best Drizzt book even read any of his other books or if they even acctually read Homeland. Comparing Homeland to his other novels, it is slow, dull, and not very interesting at all. When you get into Exile or Sojourn you can acctually see Drizzt's personality taking shape, the convoluted plotting going on throughout Menzoberranzen, and the seedy underbelly of the Drow city, not just the Eight-house council they focus on in Homeland, we don't even find out what all these houses are in Homeland, despite the fact that they are mentioned CONSTANTLY. Homeland annoyed me is all.

The best movie possible I think would be a Longer film (like Saving Private Ryan) that was a very tiny summarizing of Homeland, following Exile and most of Sojourn, but probably creating a new ending to the tale that didn't involve the bit with the monks, or Icewind Dale, or that stupid Trapper guy that hunted orcs. Just so the movies didn't spill forth like the last of the beer when someone tips over the keg at a party and it goes in slow motion becoming worse and worse as it nears the end, but in slow-motion it's going so slowly that it doesn't seem that it could possibly end.

Phwew.

14. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31

Homeland is a good bet because it did start it all. Homeland didn't only offer its reader the opportunity to watch Drizzt grow and evolve, to know his backgrounds and story firsthand better than in any other book. But also managed to give a better and more interesting description of the sinister Drow than any other book I've read. Homeland is essential, and even if not good as a single book it certainly has a lot more importance than just about any other book in the Drizzt series. It was also the one that got me interested.

The politics, plottings and other "boring" stuff is what makes Homeland apart from most of the others. And not in a bad sense. There the characters have something to them, Drizzt feels far more real and you care for him much more than in the later novels. As you said, you obviously wish for more action and for that I can understand why you wouldn't like Homeland. Not that Homeland and LoTR would be comparable, but I don't think you'd like that either.

All this said though, I voted for Exile.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.