1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: SP vs Word

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Splunge, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This could go down as one of the dumbest polls ever on the Boards, but here it goes:

When creating a new topic or posting to an existing one, do you use the SP input screen or do you prepare it in a word processing program (Word, etc.) and then paste it into SP so that your boss will think that you’re doing something important instead of goofing off like I’ve been doing all day?

[ June 09, 2003, 23:45: Message edited by: Splunge ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 28 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: SP vs Word (28 votes.)

SP vs Word (Choose 1)
    * Usually use SP - 89% (25)
    * Usually use Word (or whatever) - 11% (3)

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Spluge;

I use an e-mail from Outlook to type my messages. That lets me spell check, and look productive at work (I hate cubicles!!!)

Then I cut and paste into SP.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    LMAO!! :lol: I've been thinking the same thing all day - the guilt about "goofing off" that is. :D

I'm just lucky because I use 2 monitors, and both are flat screens. The screen I post on is angled away from the door, so when my boss looks in, all he can see is white. Otherwise I just hide the window. Don't use another program, but I usually read over my posts before hitting send.

Man, I deserve to get fired bigtime. :coffee:

4. SoCo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Here. Anywhere esle is just too much work. :p :D

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I write my posts here first, and if I think I misspelled any words, I cut an paste it into Word for the spell check, then I just cut and paste it back into SP. :rolling:

6. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Generally through SP, unless it's something for CS that I want composed just right. Then I use Word.

7. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Just use SP. I always reread what I wrote after posting it, and edit accordingly if I see any mistakes. I never thought about copy/pasting from some other word processor... so this poll is already surprising to me.

8. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I use SP, but I often use Word to see if I spelled words right, and I often use the Thesaurus option in Word, to see if something is even a real word.

Unless I'm actually planning to post a new thread (which doesn't happen very often), and it is quite long, I type it first in Word.

[ June 10, 2003, 15:14: Message edited by: Silverblade ]

9. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Usually type here. If i sense prying eyes, i make use of 'Alt-Tab' etc. to divert me back to some written stuff on the comp

10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Unless its a large post, I just use SP.

11. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I use SP. Haven't thought of anything else really, but I'm not working either...

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    SP. Since English is not the language of the country I live in, someone would have to read into what I'm writing to tell what it is. Of course, if I were at work I would probably have some full screen window of C:bad: or My Computer to switch to like I did with some games in early teen times ;)

I don't use Word because its grammar sucks even if I switch the language from US to UK and I don't make mistakes apart from occasional typos I can always edit.

[ June 11, 2003, 00:09: Message edited by: chevalier ]

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I use the Sorcerer's Place input and use preview post to read it over (looks better than the white screen and, for some reason, my typos stick out more).

14. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I use SP - however if I'm writing a story or something and run out of time I'll put it into notepad and add onto it at a later time then post it up on SP.

15. The Soul Forever Seeking Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I'm the word man where I live, so I never really worry about spell check, and I have no job currently, so there are no worries.

16. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

[​IMG] SP only, tho I might check a in word for a spelling (rarely). Oh yeah word's grammer sucks.
    Mom's always at me about being stuck on " that blue background screen ". :)

17. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I use Word for long posts, or ones where there's lots of words I'm not sure how to spell. For shorter posts I use SP. For CS I just copy paste from Word and then scan it for errors in the transfer (i.e. quote/speech marks).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.