1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: SW A New Hope Classic Moments

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Big B, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Good old Star Wars Episode IV. Believe it or not, sometimes I see people call this one their least favorite, or most boring. (This is usually from younger/newer Star Wars fans.) Bull crap. Just as I defend the prequels, I defend Episode IV. It is amazing, and I think it will come into context even more once we have seen Episode III. So let's take some time to reminisce our favorite classic moments from Episode IV. The Battle of Yavin and the ensuing ceremony are left out, because it's obvious most people love those parts. I want to know about the rest of the film. What 3 parts do you value the highest?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 57 user(s) have voted.
    Voting starts at September 07, 2002 01:06 board time.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: SW A New Hope Classic Moments (57 votes.)

Which 3 of these moments are your most favorite? (Choose 3)
    * Star Destroyer attack on Rebel Blockade Runner - 19% (11)
    * Selling of the droids to Lar's family and Luke talking with them - 4% (2)
    * Luke looking off into the twin sunset on Tatooine - 19% (11)
    * Tusken Incident, meeting of Obi-Wan, and his talk with Luke - 9% (5)
    * Luke witnessing aftermath of Lar's household destruction - 4% (2)
    * Mos Eisley and the Cantina - 35% (20)
    * Destruction of Alderaan - 11% (6)
    * Shoot-out in the cell bay, rescue of Leia, and Trash Compactor - 37% (21)
    * Vader duels Obi-Wan - 53% (30)
    * Escape from Death Star, Millenium Falcon vs. Tie Fighters - 33% (19)

2. Astra Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Lightsabre duels.
    You just can't NOT like them.
    The X-Wing battles were always fun too, especially on big screens. It feels like you're flying. The low buzz through the trenches is especially fun.

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

What about the destruction of the Death Star by Luke?

I still say "Red Five, going in!" everytime I'm walking into a stressful situation. "I lost R2" "Use the force Luke ... let go!" all classic lines! (and reinforced by the Star Wars Arcade Game)

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I probably like episode 6 best, most likely because it's has a 'conclusion'.

But the original trilogy is, undoubtly, the best. The story was much better, and the actors were allowed to do their jobs.

There's no doubt that Mark Hamill was new in e4. Harrison had only done a couple other movies, and Carrie only like one. Christ only knows how my Sir Alec had done. River over the Brige Qwai and Hamlet come to mind.

But yeah, it is an excellent movie. Expecially compared with the two prequels. I'm not sure if Speilburg was helping Lucas with the story, or what. E2 was much better than e1, stricly in terms of story and dialogue; I think the writer Lucas used really helped out. He should have hired the dialogue-Goddess Carrie Fisher, but that's another thread.

As far as e4, starting from when they hire Han Solo, up to the point where they leave the Death Star is the best. The final battle in the trenches, and the whole "use the Force" thing is good, don't get me wrong, but we're just talking about inside e4 itself. I like Rogue Squadron and Shadows of the Empire just as much (probably a little more) as the next guy, but the whole Death Star scene just rocks.

Han running down the corridor's screaming, the whole "had a slight weapon's malfunction", and of course, Ben's sacrifice just really makes for a good movie.

5. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Episode IV had something EP II [and to a lesser degree EP I] did not. I think it might be called "good acting."

6. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I choose the chat at Obi's pad cause the explantion of the force he gives is legendary. (I use it when describing the power of duct tape)

Also I enjoy the cantina scenes with Greedo. "Oo-ta Goo-ta Solo," and of course the mad Doc. with a death sentence is 12 systems. Gotta love the band and their tune.

The beginning when the blockcade runner is underfire is classic. I could not leave that one out. "We're doom!"

7. Farthy Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I'll agree that Episodes IV, V, and VI are sensational, but how can you say the prequels are good? I don't see any sane way possible...

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I can play the Cantina's band song on saxaphone!
    My vote went with... crap, I've forgotten. Damn I'm losing my memory in my old age ;)

9. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Sorry, just needed to clear one thing up...

"I use it when describing the power of duct tape"

LOL!!!

Frog, that is TOTALLY outstanding. Liquid Nails is very good too. Duct tape and liquid nails.

10. MaxxQ1 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

@ ejsmith - but is there a light and dark side to liquid nails?

11. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    E I - III will never have the magic that IV - VI had (maybe if they got back Harrison Ford)

BTW E II was pathetic, certainly the astroid scene, Obi-Wan just walks out of his spaceship without noticing the extreme lack of oxygen and gravity which is normal on an asteroid.

12. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Morgoth your assesment of Episode II is what is pathetic and proves my point of jumping on the anti-SW bandwagon without putting any thought into it.

Obi-Wan, on an asteroid? Obi-Wan's ship on an asteroid yes. Obi-Wan himself, no.

You must mean Geonosis, the PLANET, which has an asteroid belt around it. Goes to show how much attention you were paying, and goes to show the credibility (or extreme lack thereof) of your ridiculous statement of Episode II being pathetic.

And for those of you who couldn't make the connection. This is a brilliant scene and alludes to the scene in Empire Strikes Back where the Millenium Falcon hatches onto the Star Destroyer and "floats away with the rest of the trash." How did Boba Fett know what Han was up to? What did he get that the Imperials missed? Because he'd seen a similiar trick before. A trick that ultimately caused him to loose his father. A mistake he would never make again.

Obi-Wan used the garbage in his spare parts compartment to appear to be blown up by Slave I's seekers. He then hid, clamped onto a small asteroid. Similiar trick, similiar results. And now we know why Boba Fett didn't fall for it in ESB. Sure we could say, oh he didn't fall for it because he is a great bounty hunter. But the whole point of the "unmagical" prequels is to flesh out these kind of things, give us deeper perspectives and all that. I can't help if it flies right over your head. But that certainly isn't the movies fault, it's your own.

But this is not primarily an Episode II topic, it is an Episode IV topic. However, the two can be related. I think the scenes on Tatooine in both movies compliment each other well. Knowing what you now know about Episode II, perhaps your perspective has changed on some of those earlier scenes in Episode IV. The very room Anakin confesses his Tusken slaughter to Padme, is the very room Luke cleans up the droids and learns about Princess Leia. The very table (the exact same seat!) Anakin meets his "new" family and learns of his mother's dissapearance is the very table/seat that Luke sits at and argues with Uncle Owen about leaving the farm. The very spot Anakin looks off into the twin sunset is the very spot Luke does too. That's just cool.

13. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Ok, so the Boba Fett parallel was kind of cool. But the other parallels just make me think, "soooo... Lukas can't come up with new ideas." Most everything in Beru's place at Tatooine sounded a bit contrived... like he was beating you over the head with the "you've seen this place before" theme.

14. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Again I am somewhat surprised by the results. In the lead is the duel between Obi-Wan and Vader. I'm glad to see that fight get a lot of merit. I can't wait to see what happens between them in Episode III. Coming in second so far is the predictable Mos Eisley Cantina. Other surprises: quite a few votes for Luke looking off in the sunset, I'm glad. But no votes for when Luke returns to the homestead to see it destroyed and him telling Obi-Wan he wants to become a Jedi.

My favorite (excluding the end battle and ceremony) is the shoot-out in the cell bay, rescue of Princess Leia, and the trash compactor. I'd also choose the Star Destroyer attack on the Rebel Blockade Runner and the Millenium Falcon escaping the Death Star and fighting the TIE's.

As for Lucas running out of ideas? What?!? Have you seen the illustrated Star Wars screenplay for both Episodes I and II? All the concept art, and so many ideas to choose from that many had to be rejected. The infamous Sith Witch designs. Have you seen the making of videos for both episodes on the official site? The Phantom Menace DVD commentary? My gosh, ideas are everywhere. Why do you think it takes 3 years to make and release a Star Wars movie? Look how much detail goes into all of them. Everything from ideas on new sounds, set design, models, digital graphics, costumes, etc. Tons of work goes into a Star Wars movie. They are top quality.

I haven't seen a parallel yet that seems out of place. I think the prequels are coming along nicely. You must unlearn what you have learned. Once Episode III is out, the movies will be able to be seen in complete in order. I think this will clear up a lot about Star Wars for the general audiences. Less of a focus on prequels and originals and more of a focus on starting at the beginning and progressing to the end, Menace through Jedi.

15. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

This all reminds me...

Anyone who has not seen the 10 minute clip "Troopers" needz to hunt/scavenge the internet looking for it.

It's a Starwars spoof off the show "Cops". It was *very* nicely done, and if you've ever seen the show "Cops", will make you laugh simply at how well they spoofed it. The actual animation is from the remastered editions of e4-6, so it looks excellent.

It also gives new light as to why Beru and Owen got whacked, and where the poor-beige-trash Jawas fit into it all.

16. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Oh, goodness! I certainly don't mean that he's running out of ideas for sets, characters, etc! Those are the reasons why I enjoy Star Wars most of all. (I could also point to good acting [sans you-know-who] and writing in the first set.)

I was referring just to the plot.

17. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Schralp, I'm with you on this one.

It's like Monkey Island4. There's 30 or 40 references to the previous games, and if you haven't played those games, then you literally miss 50% of the joke. The game just isn't funny like that.

In Lucas's case, if you haven't seen the original movies, then the jokes are new and funny.

I personally prefer the Indiana Jones approach. Hell, they did 3 movies on that one. And in the third movie, there one one reference to the original. That's it.

"What's this?"
    "Ark of the Covenant."
    "Are you sure?"
    "Pretty sure."

It's subtle; the actors got to do their jobs (inflection, tone, pauses between interactions, facial expressions); and the movie went on. If you hadn't seen the first film, then you wouldn't get the joke. But that was the only joke like that, and it was right in the middle of the movie.

E2 is a much improvement to E1. I attribute it to the hiring of a writer to look over the dialogue. The best thing to have done would have been to have Carrie Fisher {aka "Teh Script Godess"} to have written the dialogue. But, and I have no doubt for reasons relating to the preservation of Ego, that was not done.

I truely think, if I'd never seen the original series, these new Lucas movies would be very good...

18. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Hence you have to unlearn what you have learned. It is all making sense.

19. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Indiana Jones Episode 4 is coming

:spin: :spin: Yeaaaaahh!! :spin: :spin:

BTW, Big B, I´m not on the "anti-SW bandwagon, I loved the first three movies

I´m just on the "anti-SW Episode 2 bandwagon"

:shame: on you Lucas, I hope Ep III really gets better

[ September 14, 2002, 11:40: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Though this isn't realy about this, I realy didn't like the advertising of EP2. It was saying how Anakin betrayed the jedi and Obi-wan and then shows scenes of the Jedi battle on Geonosis and Anakin battleing Dooku. Completly misleading.

Plus, the actors in the prequels simply can't act.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.