1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What does Easter mean to you?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Harbourboy, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, the Easter weekend is 1/4 over but I'm wondering what Easter means to you guys. Poll question should be self explanatory. They asked this in the street on the news this evening and I thought the responses were quite interesting.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 44 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What does Easter mean to you? (44 votes.)

What does Easter mean to you? (Choose 1)
    * Recognising the sacrifice Jesus made for the people of the world - 23% (10)
    * A pagan fertility festival welcoming Spring - 11% (5)
    * Chocolate, hot cross buns, and more chocolate - 16% (7)
    * Nothing / Don't Care / Other - 50% (22)

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Getting drunk.

Got a monster hangover this morning :( .

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It means as much as Christmas... couldn't really care less. The break is nice though.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Vacation, but not much else. I do not spend any celebration days, even though Christmas would be an exception if I had kids.

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    We're Jewish. I understand the holiday intellectually, but I don't feel it spiritually.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Jewish over here also. The thing I like best about Easter is all of the jelly beans. Yum!

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nothing really. One good thing is that it is still seen as a big holidy so the four nights I will have worked this easter will all pay big holiday discomfort pay which is almost twice the amount of your normal wage. That is nice.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    For me, it's an excuse to spend time with family. My wife and I don't live in close proximity to either of our families, so any significant holiday is usually the occassion for a road trip. Also, both of us being from Italian heritage, the holidays are always (regardless of where we go) marked by large dinners.

It is quite ironic actually. While I'm sure a great many people on this board are Christian, I do not think people hold Easter in the same esteem as they do Christmas (which is undoubtedly due to its commercial aspect, even though by any measure, Easter is the single most important day in Christianity.

9. Blog Gems: 23/31

When I was a kid, it meant chocolate.

Now it means time to catch up on assignments, papers and projects.

10. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Nothing. Except for the fact that the cake shop makes cute odd shaped chocolates on that day. What are hot crossed buns? Are the crosses made of cherries :yum:

11. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Nothing, we get one day of coming monday but I was free anyway so....

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmmm, interesting.

13. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Bunnies, eggs, chocolate and pimples. Not in that order.

14. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cadbury eggs.

Large chocolate bunnies.

Robin eggs.

Come to think of it...cavities.

The Ten Commandments.

Having sex while wearing a large pink bunny outfit.

Taking truth serum.

Dammit.

15. Fara Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The welcoming of springtime, the corruption of an ages-old Norse holiday by Christianity (no offence intended to any Christians out there), and an excuse to go outside other than "It's a nice day." And chocolate. Can't forget the chocolate. After all, everybody needs to eat unhealthily from time to time.

16. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

For me, Easter and Good Friday go hand in hand. To have the Resurrection, you must have Jesus' death. And so, Easter may be susceptible to commericial influence just as Christmas is, but not so much Good Friday. There is nothing marketable about Good Friday. Suffering, sacrifice, injustice, betrayal. What's to celebrate? What's to shop for? Who could pig out on a day like that? There is simply no way for a culture devoted to lightweight enjoyment and superficial relationships to come to terms with Good Friday.

It does have great meaning for Christians though:

Not only did God become a mortal man, Christianity maintains, but he went all the way through with it, even unto death. And not just any death: the Son of God died unjustly at the hands of a worldwide empire that used every means at its disposal to suppress insurgents. A death by torture, a death of shame, a death of horror.

Nor was it just one more crucifixion among so many hundreds. We say God took on this death in order to give the world life. We say God knew suffering and tragedy so that we might never more feel that we suffer alone. We say God washed away our sins in the blood of him who was God made flesh.

Easter for me, and the Holy Week in general, is more a time of inside reflection. I don't celebrate it the same as Christmas, but that doesn't mean I fail to have respect for it.

17. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

@ Harbourboy

The Lord be with you.

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Amen to this :D

It means free lunch at grandma's house, And some money. And candy.

19. Kelvon Shadowmane Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

gOD, there are a lot of believers on SP! But why? Religion is only the most widely spread form of mass manipulation!

20. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

That's organised religion. Religion by itself is harmless.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.