1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What kind of NPC mod?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by kuemper, Mar 11, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I have my own ideas of what NPCs I would make into a mod, but I wondered if these mesh with other peoples. These are my suggestions based on what is in the unmodded game and what I know are done (ie: no sorcerer since there are 2 - Kelsey and Tashia). I also would like to represent the other races: dwarves, gnomes, halforcs, halflings. I feel there are too many humans as NPCs.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 3 question(s). 32 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: What kind of NPC mod? (32 votes.)

What class needs an NPC? (Choose 1)
    * Paladin (any kit) - 0% (0)
    * Bard (any kit) - 9% (3)
    * Fighter (any kit) - 19% (6)
    * Fighter/Thief (multi or dual) - 22% (7)
    * Fighter/Druid (multi or dual) - 0% (0)
    * Cleric/Thief (multi or dual) - 13% (4)
    * Fighter/Mage (multi or dual) - 3% (1)
    * Fighter/Mage/Thief - 6% (2)
    * Fighter/Mage/Cleric - 0% (0)
    * Ranger/Cleric (multi or dual) - 16% (5)
    * None - we don't need another NPC mod - 0% (0)
    * Other - 13% (4)

What race would you like to see an as NPC? (Choose 1)
    * Dwarf - 25% (8)
    * Elf - 9% (3)
    * Gnome - 3% (1)
    * Half Elf - 19% (6)
    * Halfling - 6% (2)
    * Half Orc - 22% (7)
    * Human - 6% (2)
    * Other - 9% (3)

Would you like to be able to dual-class an NPC? (Choose 1)
    * Yes - 16% (5)
    * No - 25% (8)
    * Maybe - keep the option open - 59% (19)

2. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Hmm, i guess you're right there Kuem. We do see alot of human NPC's but I guess that's just because of the fact that there's alot more humans in the Realms than any of the other races. Personally, I would've liked to see a half elf ranger/cleric NPC in the game (pretty much because of the other thread I was commenting in :p ) but it would be interesting to see a few more 'shorter' folk make an appearance into the game. Obviously you picked another Dwarf Fighter (hehe i saw you're results :D ). I think we need not only a more even variety of races for NPC's but a new mod that offers ALOT more NPCs for us to play with. A huge mod would be really nice i think.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

TIAX WILL RULE! :roll: Seriously, I'd love to be able to rescue that nutty gnome from Spellhold.

But I agree that it ought to be non-human. 10/17 of the original NPCs are human, with 14/17 being of the tall variety. Back in BG1, only 13/25 were human, with 4 elves and two of every other race, as compared to 2 elves and one of each other race (including a new one called tiefling) in BG2. It's just not fair. :grr:

And though I picked a gnome, a dwarf would be pretty good too, since there aren't ANY dwarf NPC mods out there. :rolleyes: An F/T with high CON and DEX would be good, and would provide an awesome thieving alternative. Now that I think about it, go with that. :D

Of course, there aren't any gnome NPC mods either, and a gnomish Fighter/Illusionist with an INT of 19 would be pretty awesome. :grin:

P.S. If you need some realistic ability scores, don't hesitate to pull out the dice, or even ask me to pull out mine. :)

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I'm glad I had 'other' as an option because I completely forgot monks. :doh:

I picked a F/T, gearing to backstabbing goodness. :evil: A dwarf or halforc would kick with the high Con. It looks like the Little People got chucked to the wayside, with some exceptions.

5. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well I will really appreciate a half elven cool F/M/T. With a possible romance. 'CHARNAME the multi-faced' hehe this is so cool!

6. Lost Meme Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I'd like to see a dwarven bard. With a romance.

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Dwarven bards are not possible. Then again elven MC cleric/mages are forbidden too, but Aerie is an illegal one.

But a dwarven bard sounds so very wrong. Plus with a romance? Eww...

8. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hmm, gnomish kensai would be something new.

9. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

1. A NPC with a kit, insted of vanilla (mayde a fighter kit :D , or a thief)

2. Now about the race, I have to agree also w/ $ilver and Fel, there is too many humans, but I would like another race, no just the normal one but something like half-gaint, or maybe actual sub-races (gray elfs, or rock gnomes,...etc)

3. It depends on what class/kit you will use, so just leave it open to be dual

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  10. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Some ideas:

a)I would like to see a male,half-orc,Barbarian as a joinable NPC.He could be a member of Madulf's group at Umar Hills who decides to join with you and help you to find out what is killing all those people in the area.It would be nice to see at last one NPC with powerful stats like 19 STR and 19 CON.

b)A human,female,chaotic neutral, Wild Mage (veery interesting combination and with a possible romance :p ) who could be found in the Tanarri area (Planar Sphere quest).Lavok could have left her there (or some other background story) and if you manage to save her from the Tanarri she asks to join with you ...

c)The female thief (can't remember her name) on the 2nd floor of MaeVar's guild.She could be an assassin who decided to betray MaeVar and help you killing him...

11. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

That femal thief on MaeVar's guild, Anisha, Anasha something like that? I always thought she was a monk?

12. Tim Tim Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

halforc f/t either male or female, I know I would find this character highly useful as I tend to bring Jan along every time my main character doesn't have thief skills covered

13. Felinoid

@Silverstar:
    Dwarven bards are initially forbidden, but if you look into the Complete Bard's Handbook, it does allow demi-human bards. Heck, there's even a whole chapter for it, including kits. There's the Dwarven Chanter, the Elven Minstrel (whose bright idea was it to exclude elves in the first place, anyway? :rolleyes: ), the Gnome Professor, and the Halfling Whistler. Not to mention I think that the Skald kit was damn near made for dwarves. I mean, singing about battle? That just screams dwarf to me. ;)

@Goli:
    :grin: And his name should be Yulp. :lol:

@thetruth:
    a) & c) Sounds like you'd love Mulgore and Xavia, a Tutu NPC mod. A male half-orc barbarian and a female half-elf assassin. No banters or anything, but the original author has essentially put them up for grabs if anyone can help develop them.

b) See the Kiara and Zaiya (sp?) mod. It introduces a monk and a wild mage, both female.

c) (again) Incidentally, there's already a mod involving one of Aran's thieves, called Fade. She's a tiefling (well, Fey'ri) and a tief...er, I mean thief, who will join you and romance just about any male. You have to side with Aran though; Fade values loyalty.

14. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I think a cleric thief, Perhaps of one of the short races somehow, would make a really interesting mod character even if it didn't talk. Particularly if you made sure it excelled at the thief side either by being multi or dualed from Cleric to thief if you feel it necessary.

Make them either a member or an ex-member of one of the temples. Talos doesn't mind the destruction of others does he?

15. thetruth Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Ooops!But how many NPC mods are there out there! :confused:
    Thanks Fel, Fade looks very promising ;)
    I think you have just decided my next game.
    A duo through BG2.Just have to decide my PC's class.Have you tried this mod btw?I hope it's not buggy...

16. Felinoid

45 at last count; PPG has a good list.

Fade is semi-unfinished; she's complete through SoA, but not ToB just yet. I haven't checked her out yet, but I've gotten addicted to "Fade's Escape", an independent mini-game created by the mod's authors. The quality they put in their mini-game has me leaning rather heavily towards trying Fade ASAP, though. :grin:

[ March 12, 2006, 01:35: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

17. Prine Gems: 11/31

I want more dwarves. Just about every dwarf in SOA is chaotic and/or evil, which is complete nonsense, since dwarves are meant to be overwhelmingly lawful and good. Not that I don't like Korgan, it just seems as if they got hooked on the loud, crass dwarf idea and then never managed to get away from it.

18. Felinoid

That reminds me: there was a mod to bring Yeslick forward into BG2, but it got stalled. I believe it's 'frozen in time' over at CoM. A real shame. :(

Hmm, who voted human and didn't post? Or for that matter, who voted 'other' and didn't specify? :hmm:

19. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

Other was me, and I sort of specify :D

:p

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  20. kuemper Gems: 31/31

:lol: I wonder, too. I didn't ask that everyone post to discuss their votes.

The ideas are coming quickly, thanks all. :D Initially, I was going to start with 3 - a dwarf F/T, a halfelf F/D (both TN) and a halforc Barbarian. Then I got stuck with the idea of an NPC pack, containing 6 joinable NPCs found either shopping in the Promenade or relaxing in the CC.

The most difficult for me is finding a portrait. I spent 4 hours pouring over portrait sites. For some reason, I like having the picture first. :eek: Too many scantily-clad females. If anyone can find an evilish-looking male tiefling, drop me a PM. :bigeyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.