1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: What subquest do you find the most challenging?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Stu, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] O.K. a lot of you probably find them all very easy but I found that the Umar hills quest was very hard the first time round even before I met the Shadow Dragon. I found that Trademeat and the Druid grove put up a chalenge and that was in chapter 6. However I found D'Arnise Hold and Firkrags lair to be easy, but I have heard that a few people have found them quite dificult.

[ August 28, 2003, 21:25: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 2 question(s). 52 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: what subquest do you find the most chalanging? (52 votes.)

what subquest do you find the most chalanging? (Choose 1)
    * De'Arnise Hold - 4% (2)
    * Windspear Hills - 65% (34)
    * Trademeet - 4% (2)
    * Umar Hills - 27% (14)

Which subquest did you find the least chalenging? (Choose 1)
    * De'Arnise Hold - 42% (22)
    * Windspear Hills - 4% (2)
    * Trademeet - 44% (23)
    * Umar Hills - 10% (5)

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Why is there so few choices? I'm under the impressions that there are 8 major quests for Chapter 2, the 8 Stronghold quests...

3. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I choosed Trademeat as the hardest. WHY?!. I so hate trolls :mad: and theres a lot of them at the druid grove. Although the Unseeing Eye quest is by far the most challenging subquest, but since it wasn't listed :rolleyes:

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

*agrees with Elvenblade*

5. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

why is unseeing eye the hardest? I have never had any trouble with that.

I personally had some trouble with the planear prison the first time around, the halfing at the beginning kept killing me :-D

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What about Sir Sarles? That alloy is heavy! :lol:

But seriously, not that any of them are too difficult, but I picked Windspear Hills. De’Arnise Hold has no difficult areas (to me, anyway). The Temple Ruins only has the Shadow Dragon, and for some reason, I always have to be careful against the Druids in the middle of the Druid Grove. But Winspear Hills has 3 battles that are at least somewhat challenging (Samia + gang, DigDag + gang, and Firkraag).

But Stu has, for some reason, limited the quests to those outside the City :hmm: (not that those are any more difficult than the ones listed).

Edit: Whoo Hoo! New gem! :cool:

7. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Does Kangaxx count?
    I lost almosst my entire parrty to Imprisonment and haad to go find a mage and a Freedom spell.
    Took ages to get them.
    De'Arnise Hold was probably the easiest by far for me.

8. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'd say either the underdark Illithid cavern where you need to obtain the blood of the Elderbrain, or then the Illithid remote base in the sewers. Those things are damn annoying. Anything else I can counter when I just prepare well enough, but those magic-resistant bastards are the only ones that I can't say wether I could survive against without loading or not. The mind-shields work however they please, and their melee attacks still involve the mind-drain ability. Since most summons are completely useless against them, there's always the risk of getting your characters stunned and/or killed. Mages are safe being on the back, but without a pile of lower resistance spells they're not of much use. Namely, the problem is that while I could go through those caverns with the abuse of the rest exploit, there's no way I could survive the places without it. When the mages run out of spells, and fighters out of buffs, the Illithids will overwhelm.

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @Foradasthar - I find that summoning undead works wonders, as the uber-skeletons you get at 15th level (I think), are essentially magic resistant and have no brain to drain. Images casting death spell over and over again are another tactic, but it all depends on what level your party is when doing this.

10. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

Am I the only one who finds the de'Arnise Keep difficult. I really hate Torgal, and the umberhulks...

11. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hmm, for me, the hardest, out of the four listed, was the Umar Hills, because of that stupid Shadow Dragon and its blasted acid breath! Do you know how much Protection from Acid spell scrolls cost? A lot! And I absolutely refused to spend that much money on that stupid dragon. Hence, as such, I kept getting level drained and then killed with one hit. Stupid dragon. I finally killed him after umpteen times though. *laughs evilly as I sport shiny new shadow dragon armor*

12. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It's been a while since I played this game. I didn't vote though, as I can't really remember which of the four is most and least challenging. But I remember most number of deaths I have suffered was with the secret society of the Twisted Rune. However, I'm not sure if we can consider it a subquest.

13. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Most challenging: Windspear hills, I find this one more challenging than Umar Hills, because there are more cool fights.
    Samia, the wolfweres with the balanced wolfwere mod, golems (man I hate them), that Tazok guy, the mage (not that he's hard, but still fun) and finally Firkraag, who I found more difficult than the shadow dragon.

Umar Hills was pretty challenging too, but only had 2 big fights. But I found the Shadow Dragon easier than Firkraag and the Shade Lord was a joke.

For least challenging, I voted Trademeet. All you have to do is waltz through some stupid forest with some random encounters (OK, they're not random, but just as easy as most of them). The only challenging bit about this was that I had to fight that ***** (forgot her name) one on one, naked with my sorcerer. I still beat her though and since this was the only challenge, this comes last.

I actually wanted De'Arnise Keep and Trademeet to share their place for easiest quests, but that wasn't possible. The trolls are easy. The umberhulks you don't even have to fight and even if you do: just send in some highly magic resistant fighter and fire a cloudkill after him.

14. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

You should have had the most boring subquest as well :) It would definatly be the unseeing eye quest - so much walking around :mad:

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The windspear hills is definitely the most challenging of those listed. You have the room filled with undead, golems, greater wolfweres, Tazok and Digdag, Semia and Company, a beholder thrown in for good measure, all those guardians and of course Firkraag.

The Umar Hills has only the Shadow Dragon (difficult) and the Shade Lord (easy). I do not think those shades and greater skeletons come anywhere close to the difficulty of any of the creatures I listed for the Windspear Hills. The only reason I can see that some people feel the Shadow Dragon is harder than Firkraag is that typically, you do the Umar Hills quest before the Windspear Hills, so your characters are of a higher level when they get to the Windspear Hills.

16. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Daephon
    Thief + stealth + dog stew = easy

@ Malovae
    That's exactly why I love Ctrl-J -- to skip over previously-explored areas.

17. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Most challenging? Neeber. ;)

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Umar Hills.

Most often this will be my first quests in the game, and then I usually have only a few magical weapons (greater shade wolwes are immune to non-magical, and there are no bonuses). Besides, the skeleton warriors and especially the bone golem are tought opponents to low level characters.

'Course, now that I have solved the game on 'Insane', it's POC. :cool:

19. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

The Tanner quest is also quite bad for a low-level character. I really hate those cheatin' thieves that backstab in FRONT of you...

20. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Yeah! I always make sure that Keldorn is by by side when I faced these rune assassins.
    Oh! And I find that windspear quest is the hardest, and Umar hill seems to be the most interesting one, with some mini-quests like the chicken and three little boys etc.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.