1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Whats your favorite race?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by OzziS, Jul 16, 2003.

1. OzziS Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Whats your favorite race?
    And please mention WHY!!! Why do you prefer that one over the other one?
    Do your class choice affect your race choice?

PS: What would you for eksample use for a dual wielding stalker?

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 28 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Whats your favorite race? (28 votes.)

Whats your favorite race? (Choose 1)
    * Human - 39% (11)
    * Elf - 61% (17)

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I prefer humans, not for any game mechanics reason but more because the characters I normally like to play don't really fit in well with my highly Tolkien influenced vision of what an elf should be like.

In fact, almost all of the characters that I have created/played, both on computer and on paper, have been human. In games like Icewind Dale where I create an entire party I will usually take a couple of non-humans but for BG and BG2 all of my protagonists have been humans.

3. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I also prefer humans. Why? Because I'm one myself, and I'm seeing myself as the main person in the game...

BTW, why do we have to choose between only Human and Elf? What if someone likes Halflings better?

4. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

He´s probably just wondering what of those two we like best.

I´d have to go for the Human to.
    Well, there are a few classes where I go Elf.
    If it´s a Dex based class I go Elf, in ALL other cases I go Human.

Why?
    Because I hate the looks of halflings, gnomes and dwarves. Half-Elf is ok cuz they are sorta like Humans, use them once in a while. Only time I use Half-Orc is if I have TDD installed. They just dont seem to fit in.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I don't particularly like that we only have two racial choices. I generally like to play multi-classed characters, which is why I selected elf. However, the races I play the most tend to be half-elves (for cleric-mages) or dwarves (for fighter-clerics).

To answer your question on a stalker, the only difference between a human and an elf is an elf can get a 19 in dexterity, as opposed to an 18 for a human, but a 17 for constitution as opposed to an 18 for humans. Since you are going to be dual wielding the stalker, I probably would go for a human, because the extra point in constitution will improve your hitpoints, but the extra point in dexterity (19 instead of 18) will give you no bonus to your armor class. The only thing the 19 in dexterity will do is improve your THAC0 by 1 when using missile weapons.

6. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Elves.

For having bonuses and not being a full-time idiot like most/some humans are. ;)

Like Aldeth, I tend to prefer half-elves in BG2.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I actually prefer elves to anyone. Besides the 19 dex, they get a natural bonus with bows and long swords. Not a big bonus (+1 I think), but a bonus nonetheless. I never saw the 17 in con as that big of a deal. My warrior characters always got up into the 100's in HP at the start of the game, so that extra point isn't a big deal IMO. Elves make the best stalkers for the 2 reasons I listed above, plus they have a natural stealth bonus. A resistance to charm spells, too. Humans have no bonuses, but no weaknesses either. But as I recall, Valygar did just fine.

Regardless, your race won't make or break your stalker, because the differences aren't that great. Just friggin' play already. You're overanalyzing it. :rolleyes:

8. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

fightertype except pala : halforc
    some classes have to be humans so i cannot escape them. but seriously, if you don't want to dualclass there is absolutely no reason not to take halfelf instead ... AD&D rules suck at this point (better solution in 3E).

9. diebysteel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Am i the only one who likes dwarves most :wail: ? All you guys with your elves (ok, elves are great, too). They are fragile, not like the dwarves who are hard like the stone in that they dig their tunnels and home. They are the best smiths (by the way i think how can the best smiths get a dexterity penality?) and always like a good beer. :D

That are the rpg reasons, and in game before they introduced halforcs, they were the best for melee, and now still do a great job there.

10. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I prefer to be an Elf. Not sure why. Well one reason is humans look way to military like on the game with the block heads.

11. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

This poll is trash!

What is your favorite race? - AND ONLY TWO OPTIONS!?!?!

It's un-American.

Besides, Halflings rule! (you communists!)

12. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

no diebysteel you arent. I like dwarves above all

13. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Actually, this one is diffucult, but I chose Human. Why is this diffucult, you ask? Because Elven Mages looks about as nice as Human Mages, but Human wins in the end.

14. Gloric Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Im a Human, Elves are a good party character, but I usualy am a Human Paladin, and since a Paladin is a Fighter basicly, he is up front, and i am a person who likes 2 big guys up front and whatever at the back, tho im not to o fond of dwarves, maybe thats just a elvish trait come from me, but nah.
    i usualy use this formation
    + +
    + +
    + +

My self + Minsc up front
    a cleric and a theif of such in the middle:
    J-Hoe and Yoshi for most of BG2
    and a Mage and Ranger at the back - Usualy Aerie

and sometimes I swap minsc for a Valygar, and Minsc does range when needed and J-Hoe jumps to the back.

Im dead tired, did i make sense? <=\ :confused:

15. dAS Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I tend to use humans as the protagonist just because I make the pc usually like myself. I love roleplaying more than powergaming, so if my thief has a dex or 12 or 13, I'm still happy. I just can't see an elf or halfling with those stats, so it doesn't seem to fit, but I do take other races with me in the party. A dwarf is a must...you know who I'm talking about :p ...

16. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Your all wrong :D . Gnomes are the greatest. Gnomes make the best fighters ever. Well, my gnome kicked ass once, at least.

What i'm trying to say in a very weird way is, why are there only humans and elves in this poll?

17. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I like elves the best. But more specificly, I like the Drow, and the Avariel elves the most. Also, why be human and die at around 75-85, when you could be elven and die around 500-1000 years of age? :rolling:

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @ Malovae

I think the author of this poll was wishy-washy and couldn't decide which class to choose for his Stalker, and made a poll to make us decide for him.

I find humans uninteresting to play because...well, I AM one. Not a whole lot of "role playing" involved there, if you ask me. I don't dislike playing human, they just aren't my favorite. I never dual class, even in a SoA only game.

I like halflings, but find them too limiting and their avatars just look goofy. Yes, they make good theives, but I prefer elves so I can have a higher strength.

I only take a gnome if I want an illusionist/thief (as they make the best mage/thieves by far).

I don't play too many dwarves because half-orcs make better tanks, though I'll occasionally take a dwarf in my party for the D&D novely factor only.

Elves can play all my favorite classes, have the coolest look IMO, and tend to make more epic, interesting characters. Not a boring human, but not a goofy midget either. Style, grace, nice natural abilities and a cool look. Elves for me all the way.

19. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I really hate half orcs!!!!!

I mean I cant see it happening, think about it!!

Its discusting!!!!

Anyway its not good role playing, I you walked up to a half orc would you just let him into your party???

They are just good for powerplaying!!

My halfling thief kicks ass in BGII, He killed Nitzianderthallix :D and why hasen't Ozzis given a thought about using a Halfling stalker??? I mean, It could work, maybe, possibly, alright, humans a nd elves are better ---- for stalkers ---- but for anything else, Fighters, Mages, Barbarians And especially the best class of all, THIEVES halflings are the best!!!

20. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

a barbarian halfling? what is this world coming to...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.