1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: When do you become The Slayer?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Scoobiez, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Scoobiez Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] So we know we have this cool ability to become The Slayer....a manslaughtering deamon.

Let's see a show of hands on WHEN/IF you choose to draw upon your ancestoral blood:

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 31 user(s) have voted.
    Voting starts at November 12, 2003 05:00 board time.
    Voting stops at November 19, 2003 05:00 board time.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: When do you become The Slayer? (31 votes.)

When do you become The Slayer? (Choose 1)
    * Before a battle you know is dificult. - 6% (2)
    * During a battle in which you are falling seriously behind. - 23% (7)
    * After a few beers. - 13% (4)
    * I never give in to my blood's calling. - 58% (18)

2. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Never. I always play a good character and from a roleplaying perspective I can't seem to justify using the Slayer form. Besides I also prefer to use my PC's "standard" powers. There's not much challenge - not even in the toughest fights - if you use the Slayer form.

3. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Never, and even from a non-roleplaying or powergaming perspective it is just plain lame. There are better things to do with a round than waste it on turning into a slayer that hardly works...(in TOB anyway)

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I don't find it that useful, especially if the PC is a spellcaster. Maybe if the slayer was stronger I would.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I've only used the slayer a few times ever. I never use it when I play good, and only rarely when I play evil. It's useful to turn into the slayer when fighting a demi-lich - as for some reason you are immune to imprisonment - but all in all I don't see the use. By the time you gain the ability to control the turn, you probably have enough abilities on your own in either spells or raw fighting prowess to deal as much or more damage than the slayer anyway.

6. Trydan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I agree that the slayer is not that good compared to a by-then-powerful PC. I also appreciate the ability to switch and exploit items, which is not possibly in ones alter-form.

7. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I've used the slayer form twice. In my first time through the game I was playing a Swashbuckler (alignment: CN). I used the slayer transformation to defeat the balor demon in the deep gnome village.

Last time through the game, I played a kensai-cleric (alignment: LN). I'd gotten everybody all spelled up for the final battle with the elder brain when I realised that I hadn't brought along a time mindflayer to open the door. I couldn't be bothered to go and fetch another one, so I turned into the slayer and bashed it open. Curiously, I had 25 strength prior to the transformation (Draw Upon Holy Might can be a wonderful thing) yet wasn't able to open the door despite possessing "godlike" strength.

EDIT: Off topic but:
    @Trydan

Did you know that your moniker means "electricity" in Welsh?

8. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I have only used the ability once. I was losing the final battle in Ascension ToB and after all almost all my characters died, all the demons came after my sorcerer. He is quite feeble, so I was desperate. I was out of high level spells and decided to cast timestop from my last scroll and then turn into the Ravager (upgraded Slayer). I slaughtered most demons and I even got a shot at Mellisan, but the demons kept coming and I couldn't reach Melissan anymore so I eventually died. I think the Ravager survived for a very long time and is thus a strong fighter.
    I don't really find it useful though. I usually have fighters of my own and my sorcerer is much more useful when casting spells. Besides, I see it as a weakness if I turn into it.

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I always have to use it to deal with the mind flayer lair in the underdark -- I finally figured out how to use the circlets to open the final door, but the first one, I never have figured out how to do it without the slayer change.

10. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The same way as the second one...get a tame mindflayer. You can get 4 of the circlets and in the potion room there is a constant supply of flayers (a new one spawns every couple of minutes or so).

11. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I don't think i have ever became the slayer, other than when Charname can't control it.(spellhold)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.