1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Which Item Would You Rather Have?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Poll-meister Aldeth is back at it once again.

This time it's chosiing which item you'd rather have. Obviously, in the case where there are class/alignment/ability requirements, we'll assume you meet all of them. In cases where the item is upgradeable, we'll assume we're comparing the upgraded versions. Also, we're going to pretend that you can only have one of these items in each question, so you have to weigh your decision carefully.

Here's a quick explanation of how/why I broke down the choices:

Question 1: All +5 swords
    Question 2: +3/+4 swords with special abilities
    Question 3: other +4/+5 one-handed weapons - I separated these out because they are weapons restricted to a few classes. Basically, you wouldn't have a thief for example walking around with these weapons
    Question 4: Undead weapons
    Question 5: Shields +4
    Question 6: +6 two-handed weapons
    Question 7: +4/+5 two-handed weapons with special abilities

You're going to have to know your SoA and ToB weapons for this one, because I'm not including the description with the weapon (except the enchantment number), and most of them have special abilities. You may want to do some homework before you answer the questions if you don't know what each of the weapons do.

Finally, enjoy!

Poll Information
    This poll contains 7 question(s). 55 user(s) have voted.

Poll Results: Which Item Would You Rather Have? (55 votes.)

Which +5 single-handed sword would you rather have? (Choose 1)
    * Foebane +5 - 18% (10)
    * Purifier +5 - 15% (8)
    * Angurvadal +5 - 31% (17)
    * Spectral Brand +5 - 16% (9)
    * Short Sword of the Mask +5 - 20% (11)

Which +3/+4 single-handed sword would you rather have? (Choose 1)
    * Hindo's Doom +4 - 13% (7)
    * The Answerer +4 - 22% (12)
    * Celestial Fury +3 - 40% (22)
    * Black Razor +3 - 25% (14)

Which +4/+5 single-handed weapon that's not a sword would you rather have? (Choose 1)
    * Axe of the Unyielding +5 - 24% (13)
    * Crom Faeyr +4 - 44% (24)
    * Flail of the Ages +5 - 27% (15)
    * Club of Detonation +5 - 5% (3)
    * Storm Star +5 - 0% (0)

Which shield would you rather have? (Choose 1)
    * Darksteel Shield +4 - 51% (28)
    * Shiled of the Order +4 - 31% (17)
    * Sentinel +4 - 18% (10)

Which +6 two-handed weapon would you rather have? (Choose 1)
    * Carsomyr +6 - 56% (31)
    * Ravager +6 - 27% (15)
    * Ixil's Spike +6 - 2% (1)
    * Staff of the Ram +6 - 15% (8)

Which +3/+4/+5 two-handed weapon would you rather have? (Choose 1)
    * Gram the Sword of Grief +5 (Improved) - 33% (18)
    * Soul Reaver +4 - 11% (6)
    * The Impaler +3 - 0% (0)
    * Spear of Withering +4 - 0% (0)
    * Staff of the Woodlands +4 - 15% (8)
    * Wave Halberd +4 - 13% (7)
    * Vorpal Sword +3 - 29% (16)

Which undead weapon would you rather have? (Choose 1)
    * Runehammer +5 - 53% (29)
    * Daystar +2 (+4 versus undead) - 15% (8)
    * Mace of Disruption +2 (+5 versus undead) - 33% (18)

2. diebysteel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] And a new poll by Aldeth ( i hope you will not make 3 polls per day again). Well, i go for:
    angurvadal
    Celestial fury
    Crom Fayer
    Darksteel shild
    Carsormyr
    Vorpal sword
    and the runehammer

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Oh geez, I never even voiced my own opinion. For me I went with

Foebane
    Axe of the Unyielding
    Black Razor
    Darksteel shield
    Ravager
    Gram the Sword of Grief

I'm really surprised that Ravager isn't more popular - it's an instant kill weapon!

4. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I took it to mean, 'more powerful' though 'what you would prefer' could mean lots of things.

Angrudval (primarily for str bonus which adds to dmg and frees up a belt slot)

Black Razor (for the 15% chance for which I believe there is no save)

Flail of Ages (incredible damage - I believe most damaging in game according to math on another site beating Staff of Ram, slow with no save which is negative 4 to Thac0 and AC for enemy, goes through stoneskin)

Carsomyr (Ravager won't work on bosses but the 50% MR goes everywhere - tempted to pick Ixil Spike which can work on boss characters and does incredible damage when it works).

Gramm Sword of Grief (works on bosses too.)

Runehammer (same saving throw as mace of disruption, a lot more damage).

5. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    For this one, I actually went with the items I'd use in real life:

1) Short Sword of Mask.
    2) Celestial Fury. Stun somebody, then run like hell! Plus it looks cool.
    3) Club of Detonations. Handy in a fight (Hah! All he has is a piece of stickarrrgh...)
    4) Darksteel, because it looks cool.
    5) Staff of the Ram. Push someone across the room, heheheh.
    6) Vorpal Sword: chops people's heads off.
    7) Mace of Disruption. Because I would rather use a mace over any other weapons, and because it has a chance to instantly kill any undead.

6. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] I think Crom Faeyr is +5.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I'm about 99.99% sure it's +4

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Damn! It's always that .01% that gets you! Crom Faeyr is indeed +5

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    In the Master's Item list in the "Versus Perfect Guide" for both ToB and SoA, it's listed as a +4 item. (hamm09)

Unless both of those are a misprint (and I find this extrodinarily difficult to believe as Versus Books are generally very good with their guides), then it is +4. I don't have BG on this computer, or I would check it out myself using the console.

10. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Crom is +5. Those sites are wrong. Check Dan Simpson's item guide at gamefaqs.com if you'd like.

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    There is another way for the non-believers: Take nearinfinity or the infinity engine explorer and have a look at it. They are perfectly right, Crom is +5.

A while ago Extremist made a summary threat, iirc in SoA forum, on what enchantment weapons actually are - just in case you're interested ...

12. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

The level drain in Gram sword of Grief can affect bosses too! Oh thats great! It my favorite sword of all, with a great name and also a great hero(great name too!) who once wielded it. I like Angurvadal, The Answerer, Crom Faeyr, Shield of Order, Carsomyr, Runehammer as well.

13. RangerFox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

1. Angurvadal - 2nd place: Spectral Brand (actually these two are about a tie for me)
    2. The Answerer - 2nd: Black Razor
    AC loss + magic resistance loss = lots of extra pain
    3. Crom Faeyr -2nd: Axe of the Unyielding
    4. Darksteel
    5. Ravager - 2nd: Carsomyr
    "Death on a stick"
    6. Soul Reaver - 2nd: Impaler
    Enemy THACO loss for melee is your friend
    7. Rune hammer, of course
    ...yeah

14. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

(Cavalier)
    Carsomyr
    (my half-elven fighter)
    Angurdaval
    Hindo's Doom
    (Sarevok)
    Gram the Sword of Grief
    (Minsc)
    Ravager
    (Dwarven next plans for playing)
    Crom Fayer
    Axe of the Unyielding

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    In what is becoming a recurring theme, I'm an Idiot :doh:

:bang:

As evidently everyone else on the planet knew except me, Crom is +5. I can't believe my guide book had the wrong enchantment on one of the biggest weapons in the game. But, last night, I turned on ToB, clicked on Crom Faeyr, and sure enough it said: "THAC0: +5"

Strangely the damage wasn't +5, it's 2d4+3, which is really like double what a regular war hammer does, but still, it's odd.

16. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

THAC0 and damage doesn't really count on what "+" the weapon have. The"+" is the enchantment on the weapon, it defines what yo can/can't hit...

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Yes, but the "+" is also usually the damage adjustment. A +1 sword adds one to damage, a +2 adds two, and so forth. Usually the damage increase is equal to the enchantment, although many weapons have additional capabilities, or do additional elemental damage. For example, the halberd, Dragon's Breath is a +4 weapon. The damage it does is 1d10+4 (because of the +4 weapon) and then an addition 5 points of elemental damage. It might be the best weapon for the Chromatic Demon come to think of it.

18. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Yeah, there are a few weapons that do more damage than there enchantment such as short swords +1 doing +2 damage and I think its the same for maces and war hammers but I might be wrong. Definatly for short swords though. I find that a bit odd really.

19. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

[​IMG] @ Aldeth the (Foppish) Idiot
    Just think about the Staff of Striking or Staff of the Ram. The enchantment and the damage do not have such connection...

20. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If I have a Paladin, Carsomyr +6 is the one for me, hands down -- especially if said paladin is a cavalier! For non-paladin characters, I'm a huge fan of the Ravager, though Ixil's Spike does some sweet things to the victim, IIRC.
    For clerics (or better still, fighter clerics!) Crom Faeyr is the absolute best weapon around. In fact, for dwarven fighters, dualling this with the axe of the unyielding +5 results in some serious damage. I love it!
    The other categories mentioned, well, have to do with thieves, druids and mages, it seems to me. I like to equipt these guys with the best possible weapons, don't get me wrong, but lets face it -- they shouldn't be in melee all that bloody much, especially in ToB -- a druid or mage (or even pure cleric, for that matter) who is not casting offensive spells, summoning aid, healing the warriors, or dropping enemy spell protections is not living up to his potential. I mean, I'll give a mage or druid the crimson dart or the returning dagger, and the cleric a sling to use when the spells run out or if you're just fighting stupid hobgoblins, but I'd rather they didn't go into melee unless they have some fighter in their class repetoire.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.