1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Who actually uses Malla's Soul Stone? (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Harlas Nar Hallas, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Harlas Nar Hallas Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

How many of you actually use Malla's Soul Stone, which you get in Amkethran (I think that's how it's spelled.)?

To compound on this, Malla's Soul Stone can be obtained from a lich after taking Malla's Father to the lich. It's pretty much on of the better Ioun Stones, and it can only be worn by neutral/Evil characters. You can give it to Malla to give her back her soul.

[ June 09, 2004, 01:32: Message edited by: Harlas Nar Hallas ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 28 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Who actually uses Malla's Soul Stone? (Spoilers!) (28 votes.)

Who actually uses Malla's Soul Stone? (Spoilers!) (Choose 1)
    * Yes, I use it! Too bad for the loser girl, muahahahaha! - 14% (4)
    * I use it, but not enthusiactically. - 11% (3)
    * I don't use it, I give it back to save her soul! - 68% (19)
    * I don't use it, I sell it. - 7% (2)

2. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I think I remember giving it back to her but I forget what it does.

3. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

What it does:

+1 to DEX
    +1 to CON
    Cast 'Neutralize Poison' once per day
    No AC bonus

I used it before, playing with an evil sorcerer. He had moderate CON and DEX so I put the soul stone to good use.

4. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Never used it, but it seems like a good investment for an evil spellcaster (although Edwin doesn't really get much out of it) or thief. Wouldn't bother otherwise, even for a kensai or monk, because they get Wong Fei's not long after that and it's better than Malla's Soul Stone.

Then again (and a bit off-topic), for a truly evil bastard of a thief character, wouldn't you love to be carrying this, Blackrazor/Soul Reaver and Human Flesh Armour? Eeeeeevil!

5. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Don't forget the Nymph's Cloak you get in Hell. Truly evil. Anyway, Malla's Soul Stone is certainly useful for spellcasters but in my opinion Ioun Stones are sort of underpowered. I never really liked them. Certainly not comparable to helmets.

6. david w Gems: 19/31

That doesn't really sound that impressive. +1 Con is worth nothing at the level you acquire it because you don't get any HP bonuses (right?) and while the +1 to Dex might give you an extra +1 AC it still doesn't account for much. AC in the later stages of TOB is irrelevant because the enemies you no matter what AC you have and an extra +1 isn't going to make any difference.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It's kind of cool, but simply put there aren't many characters that are going to benefit from using it. The only NPC that I see it helping would be Korgan, as it would raise is Dex to 16 (+1 bonus to AC) and raise is Con to 20 (regenerating, albeit slowly).

So I usually give it back to Malla, but only because the item is of no real benefit to me. If I do have someone that it will help, I'd keep it.

[ June 09, 2004, 17:39: Message edited by: Aldeth the Foppish Idiot ]

8. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Its cool, alright. :) I didnt even know it could be used as an Ioun Stone. But then I have only played ToB this far into the story for, like, tree or four times. Five, at best. And every time I gave it back to the girl. What a waste. :D If Haer'Dalis or Korgan were part of my group I would give it to one of them. Unless you have Item Upgrade there are not that many impressive helmets to be had. Most of the times I prefer helmets over other items only if they add to saving throws or AC. The Soulstone would improve Haer'Dalis' poor Con and lower his AC. Same with Korgan. And I generally like Ioun Stones.

9. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I have never used that item, because I've played ToB only with good parties. Maybe next time I could go for evil... and use that stone.

10. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31

Forgot about that one... :evil:

(steeples fingers and laughs evilly)

I never actually take it, I just beat the hell out of the Beholders using Protection From Magic and area-effect spells like Abi-Dalzim's. I'd rather have the XP, but then again, I don't actually know what the Nymph Cloak does.

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Have always returned the stone; there are better ones. ;)

(Might be because I have a sorcerer dominant party.)

12. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I recall there being a substantial Experience reward for returning it, which to me far outweighs any boni it might confer upon the wearer.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.