1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Who is the best mage?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by pyroashani, Aug 15, 2003.

1. pyroashani Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Its been bothering me for a while, so make your choose.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that I didn't add Aerie to the poll and I can't now. So if you would rather vote for Aerie, say so in your post and tell me who you voted for originally.

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 79 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Who is the best mage? (79 votes.)

Who is the best mage? (Choose 1)
    * Edwin - 80% (63)
    * Imoen - 14% (11)
    * Nalia - 6% (5)

2. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I voted Edwin, because his ability to cast 3 more spells a level than the other two is just great.
    He does lose a couple of spells, but this is barely enough to balance him out.

I think Nalia is a nice character until you get Imoen back.
    I like Imoen much more than Edwin and would always pick her over him (I think), since she's so essential to the story. (and I always play good :) )

3. Sir Ai Rayzor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

What about Imoen over Nalia ?

Which is best?

4. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] The best mage for me is... the PC. Nothing beats him/her. Is with you from the beginning, so you have complete control over his spellbook. Also, won't get abducted, so the xp progression is quite good. Can belong to any alignement, can double- and multi-class (with the right scores). Heck, the kit is even implemented with four possible romances ! ;)
    Now, if I have to choose the best NPC mage I'd go with Edwin.
    Which one different players prefer, however, depends on the strategy employed (for example I rarely have him in my party, although I voted for him).

5. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

Let's see:
    STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    Imoen 9 18 16 17 11 16
    Nalia 14 18 16 17 9 13

Nalia is stronger, but Imoen has more wisdom. Of the two, I'd say wisdom matters more, because you can easily boost strength (and mages don't need that anyway).
    Furthermore, Imoen can actually cover basic thieving duties, while Nalia cannot. And Imoen has a belt that gives her more spells (I think).

And finally Nalia is annoying and Imoen is an essential part of the story. Easy pick :) .

6. Blast Skeleton Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Nalia is a better mage than Imoen, Edwin is a better mage than Nalia :p
    Too bad Edwin is evil, he doesn't really fit in a Good party.
    Imoen isn't essential, but if you want to know the whole story, you should take her with you.

7. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] This poll is a bit "newbie-ish", everyone knows that Edwin is the best mage.

8. Serpent Gems: 4/31

Edwin... by far.

9. pyroashani Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

@arachnis Not nessisarily. Imoen and Nalia have more HP to start plus edwin doesnt get a CON bonus.

10. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Edwin, naturally. Unless I'm playing a sorcerer.

11. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

@Blast skeleton: How is Nalia a better mage than Imoen?

12. RangerFox Gems: 4/31

Imoen, because she can serve as an archer and disable traps in a pinch, and because you get her right off the bat and start developing her immediately.

13. Arian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@RangerFox

While I'd agree, Immy is the better mage I wouldn't say that she can be developed more because of the long waiting period after she gets taken away. And besides, the only thing you have to do without Nalia is Irenicus's Dungeon, every other quest in the game could have Nalia in it. But none of this changes the fact that Edwin is the best mage.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, I really like Edwin, but I also like Aerie's ability to cast both mage and priest spells. Between the two of them I would have to go with Aerie because of her 2 schools of magic. :rolling:

15. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Of course it's Edwin, silly.

16. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I term of best mage, I choose Edwin, as he can memorise the most spells.

17. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

WTH told you edwin doesnt get a CON bonus ?
    there is only ONE mage in this game, and 3 female magic users.

18. bazzadouggie Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

well for me, Edwin although i always play good. he has more spells and a great sense of humour!

the long wait to get to imoen means she re-joins the party to many levels behind and nalia is okay but the more spells the better eh?

19. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Where's Jan?

20. Arian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Good point Velve, where is Jan? He would have to be IMHO the most useful of the magic using NPC's (unless you want to count Solaufein) but not the best as far as pure magic goes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.