1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pondering Question #1

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by DrizztDo'Urden, May 28, 2003.

1. DrizztDo'Urden Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Every once in a while, whether under the influence of *ahem* or just pure boredom, I come across a question that can make some people think. Here's one I thought of yesterday.

When a man attemps at failure and succeeds, which has he done?

I dont think this one is as heavy as some of my other ones, but never the less...well...its just a question. Does it have a particular meaning? What emotions does it stir in you?

2. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

May i ask something?
    Which *ahem* you use in order to answer the question posted above

3. DrizztDo'Urden Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, to be honest, I dont think it matters. Either or. Wouldnt someone's answer be more coherant while off the *ahem*?

Anyway, I was just wondering what people thought about it.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

What emotions does this question stir in me? Hostility that there are people out there thinking up silly questions! ;)

My brain doesn't process such nonsense!

5. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] You would be a successful failure...and thus, successful.

6. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

It is impossible. If you failed at everything, then you succeeding in failing, but since you succeeded in failing that is one thing that you didn't fail, so in realitiy you didn't succeed.

Don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me.

7. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Well you failed to succeed and succeed to fail

8. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    My brain hurts. :(

I have a question too. Why do you never see baby pigeons?

9. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Fade is right in the funniest aspect of your *Ahem* thought, But if its only considering one problem and one situation Sir Bel put the hammer to the nail.

10. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

@Shell: That question was an article for a news paper used in an English exam. iirc (which I probably don't!) they spend their whole infanthood in the nest.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Basically it's an ultimate failure if you aim to fail.

If you're more literal, then it's of course a success since the goal has been met.

12. Gavin de Valge Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Following Aristotle's logic, this is impossible because "P and not P" is a contradiction and fail and succeed are opposites. However, Aristotle thought of things in black and white, true and false. In reality, things a grey, and Aristotle's "P and not P" can be both true because things are in degrees, if one looks at common sense. So, to a degree, the one who failed also succeeded.

Just as a side note, by my word order of "black and white, true and false," I do not mean that black necessarily represents truth and white falsehood, nor black falsehood and white truth.

13. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

This kind of questions were firstly pondered by a philosophical group in the ancient times called Sophistes the answers were always two folds and they were both right.
    The answer to this question is like this it depends on which perspective you are watching the whole thing. If you aim in achieving the goal then the person has succeded if you aim to succeed through the goal them the person has failed. :cool:
    And sorry Drizzt about the indiscretion i was just curious no offence meant ;)

14. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG]
    ? Say what? yes the person has failed but was succesful through his goal. True. But you have not given a solution to the mind puzzle just restated or rather described the question a different and more complicated way. Look at the first statement and your quote. yes scroll up and look. There is no difference except the first statement ends with a question mark and yours doesn't.

Sir Bel and Fade already answered problem to perfection IMHO. :)

15. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] You have succeeded in the aim yet failed in the task. Simple as that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.