1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Popularity?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Z-Layrex, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] How populare are you at school/work?

I myself have about 10 friends at school and get bullyed by almost everyone else. I don't know why i get bullyed, i just do. I tend to attract morons who just can't seem to keep their thoughts to themselves. Even happens online too, but i won't mention any names. What about you?

2. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

[​IMG] Bleh, I don't try to be popular, but most people seem to like me. Evil-doers hate me, of course. :bigeyes:

3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've not been able to make any friends yet on my new school but I get along alright with all I meet. And if any of them tries to bully me he'd better how to fight 'cause I don't take such things lightly.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm definitly not popular :cry:

I was bullied in my first three schools

The school I'm in now Teensaber and Frostbite are my friends, generally people just tolerate me ;)

In first school I had two friends, my second first school The whole school hated me for no reason, third school I had one friend (who was my friend in first first school and was my friend while I was at second first school and still is now) and finally the secondary school I have two friends, as mentioned before, though my friend from first first school (BlackCat) has been my friend forever

So generally the whole world hates me :lol:

5. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Hmmm.... I don't think the problem you have Z, is to be 'Popular', but to be 'Accepted'. There is an incredibly difference between the two, and I think as you get older you will realise there is no 'popular' and 'unpopular'.

I happen to get kicked here and there as I walk round, with the odd stone thrown at me, although I wouldn't concider myself 'unpopular'. I have a great group of best friends, consisting of my best mate Fay, and around 10 other people. Isn't that more important than being 'Popular'?

And if you look at it, isn't it the 'Popular' people who get ****ty grades, who smoke, who pick on others and don't know who their real friends are?
    My ex-g/f happens to be considered 'popular', although she's more akin to me than 'those' people... and frankly, I couldn't care less.

So lose the whole 'I want to be popular' theory, because to be honest... you don't. And this you will realise later in school life, as people become more relaxed about it.

[EDIT] I dug up this just now; this Poem/Thing. Just read it....

"*Popularity*"

That word
    I dread It
    Despise It
    I loath It

As I meet a Girl
    Online one night
    Exchange Names
    Exchange Details

Conversation builds up
    It's on the horizon
    That 'Dreaded' question
    The word I *despise*

As she asks If I'm POPULAR
    Confusion builds up in my Mind
    What's the Answer, don't ask ME?
    Please get me a Dictionary

If being friends with the Local B*tch
    Or hanging out with mindless Tw@ts
    Is what it's ALL about...
    Then I don't want to even be

HELP me please I'm confused I say!
    The word IS simple *Stupidity*
    People may; Halucinate.
    and proceed to; Discriminate.
    But to me this 'POPULARITY'
    Is a myth made for Self Certainty

If those that are concerned Like Me
    Come 2 UR Senses!
    Follow Me
    If I want 'Popularity'
    Then take my *Personality*

I'd follow the words
    Follow the Lies
    Believe through other,
    people's eyes.

It's a Sign of *Insecurity*
    And judgemental *Authority*
    You judge, you laugh, pick and Choose,
    As if we are a pair of Shoes.

Halucinate
    Officiate
    Pretend we are;
    clonesclonesclonesclones
    Of SiMiLaRiTy
    I'll talk NO MORE
    I'll care NO MORE
    I'll simply walk away
    ONCE MORE...

[ September 10, 2002, 16:20: Message edited by: Gopher ]

6. SC Gems: 23/31

If you really must know, yes, I am "popular" and I get along with everyone, because it seems people like a shy, quiet girl like myself. If popularity is about people who can't get good grades, who smoke, do drugs, push people around, then I'm definitely unpopular.

7. Herf Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Life isn't about being POPULAR, it's about getting to where you want to be. Anyone who cares so much about being popular, being with the "in" crowd and doing certain things only because the crowd likes it, they're a sheep! A mindless moron who follows the stream of fashion and pop culture.

If being popular is defined as wearing those $200 sneakers, wearing only the biggest named clothes, and listening to the biggest music of the times, count me out thank-you-very-much.

All anyone needs is a few close friends and a few mess-about friends, we don't need everyone in the whole school to merely accept us because we conform.

Anyone who cares so much that they would base their own lifestyle around the lifestyle of a million other teenagers doesn't deserve to live, they offer nothing to society, nothing to mankind, they do nothing but hinder the world.

8. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

What's popular?

Is it fitting in with the people who are rich, act cool, and exert pressure on everyone else? That's not me. On the other hand, those kinds of people have been despised so much that there are other trends in my schools that are not labeled popular, but more and more people are seen doing it. Some dye hair in bright colors. Some only wear black. Some wear chains. Some get their ears pierced 50 times. No one will ever call it popular, but it catches on, and some people think it's different, but when a good fraction of the school (or otherwise a large group of diverse people) do it, can you really call yourself an individual by wearing a Slayer T-Shirt and dyeing your hair green nowadays? There are too many trends and fads these days, it's hard to understand what's popular and what's not. Getting the "in" crowd and becoming truly popular, whatever that means might be hard, and it's not worth it. Friends should be friends regardless if you start dressing in black, or start listening to Marilyn Manson, begin carrying a Bible everywhere, or start wearing $200 sneakers. Otherwise, no thank you, you're not a friend; you're just a person who labels people as "cool" by what they do and wear, not what they are.

Me, I just stand in the background. But that doesn't mean I don't speak out.

[ September 09, 2002, 02:23: Message edited by: C'Jakob ]

9. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I used to be spat upon and shouted at wherever I went. But that wasn't anything to do with who I am, it was the fact that the ones doing the spitting and shouting has nothing better to do than to find the one who is different. They've all gone off to obscurity now, thankfully, and I am accepted by everyone. Not necessarily popular, as I prefer to keep most people at a distance, but tolerated. I don't care what the majority of people think of me. The only reputation I have with my peers is as a martial artist, and that gets me by well enough.

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The 'popular' people are usually the w@nkers who go around bullying people. Been popular with your friends is cool, but been popular for no other reason than you do things that everyone else does is just crap

11. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Popularity is overrated and as many of you get older you will realise that a lot of what you may have wanted before, and envied, is what you will really hate. Don't go out of your way to be popular or fit in, (I know its been said again and again) but just be true to yourself.

12. Padeen Dragonblade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well I'm not really popular at school but everybody seems to like me.Bullied? Well once some stupid fat guy tried to bully me(He was a grade lower than me). I beat him up and got into a heluva lot of truble! He tried it again last year but I just reminded him of last year and he backed of. Hmmm I wouldnt call myself popular. I'm weird and I think weird and everyone talks to me halps me but I am only popular cause I'm the only person in the school who speaks fluent English! I really hate Cyprus abd I dont really like having too many friends. So I have three. But I am not POPULAR!

13. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Well.
    In my old school I was quite "popular".
    When I was a kid I was very shy and people didn't really notice me and they called me the nerd and the gal who knew everything.
    Then later I became the person I was at home. People started to call me "cool" and I nowadays say what I want and do what I want but trying not to hurt anyone. I try to be myself even though I am considered "strange" quite often.
    Now I am in a new school. I have been here for soon 3 weeks. Came into a nerdclass...
    So well, I have kept my old friends which are about 4 real friends and the other people that I talk to. :)
    The world "popular" can mean many different things. Right now I am trying to lie low keepin peace with the teachers in my new school.

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    In all the schools I´ve been popularity meant:

- Being shalow
    - Walking over the weaker persons to hide your
    own insecurity
    - Trie to look cool
    - smoking
    - Talk in a ****** language, they even don´t
    understand because they´re to dumb

So I hate being popular

Once, when I was in fourth, a fat nerd tried to be cool and hit me in the face.
    I grabbed his neck and lifted his fat *** of the ground until his face turned purple.

After that, no-one ever, ever tried to bully me. The popular ****** even were nice to me and tried to make me bullie a first-grader.
    I told to "**** off" since I won´t lower myself to their status

BTW, Gopher, That Poem/Thing was pretty damn good

[Made everything starry or else Tal will get ******, read angry :D )

[ September 09, 2002, 16:28: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

15. Faded Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

From the posts here I somehow get the feeling that "popular" people really aren't all that popular...?

16. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

LOL pretty wise words. Gee that gets me thinking. There's always the big group of sad fu**s who pick on everyone who seems a bit geekish. Now in most schools there are a hell of a lot of geeks (like me for example) So if all these people hate these 'popular' asses then that means they're pretty damn unpopular...

[ September 09, 2002, 17:29: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

17. Errol Gems: 23/31

[​IMG] :) Consider this topic done and dusted! :D
    I'm glad you see the big picture Z.

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Where I live, going to church 2 times a sunday isn't cool. Nor is writing poems. I don't snog a girl every weekend, but still I'm accepted. I don't care what people think of my clothes, but I do care for other people and that makes you popular.
    Being popular isn't wrong. Always wanting to be the best, that's wrong.
    It's our wits that makes us men, not our muscles, clothes or shouting.

Being popular is not something to be proud of, but more a reward of your reliability/wit/care.

Being popular is okay, doing popular as bad bad karma!

19. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I was never bullied and I was never popular. I was, I am, like one of those people you never notice. Until the point someone needs me for something.

Anyway, I don't have many friends, just a few. I have lots and lots of people I know, um, no, I ment people that know me. When they need me. And then, based on if they are popular or not, bad or not, bullying type or not, I react by rejecting or not. You see, I'm aware of my capabilities and thus I have a certain right to give it only to those I like and not to those I don't like.

Now, what was that about being popular? I don't deal with popular people, sorry. I need general thoughts from my friends, not just narcissistic selfplacing on a throne without any background.

And don't get me wrong here, if someone did something awsome constructive for someone or something that deserves being popular, well, that kind of popularity I do respect. Unless that awsome thing is aimed against humanity.

20. Oblate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I don't know if i'm popular. Accepted might be better. I was acepted during my last years in school. But that depended on my own sight on what i wanted to be. I want to be myself. ;)
    And after that...people with a neurosis on helping, like i am ,are accepted by most of the people.
    And as a little local politician: "I've seen you picture today in the newspaper", popularity is no fun at all.
    Sometimes i think they will send me out of the city, tarred and feathered. This happened last in Juli. But noone did read my article in the newspaper, they where all on vacation. :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.