1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pratchett Actors

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Sir Dargorn, May 6, 2002.

1. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

So if they make a proper non-cartoon version of the Discworld series ...... which actors would play which Characters. hmmm and just to make it more amusing.....which SP people could play the parts aswell?

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmm not really anything to say about a real actors here.
    But I do want to say that the cartoon sucked. All the humour was gone and they had tried to tune up the adventure! The jokes were totally gone imo!

3. bocam Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I agree, and the playstation games also sucked

4. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Heres my view. The films sucked is very true. However the musical parts in soul music were very good and pratchett-ish with the lyrics. The games on the pc went down in my opinion from the first one with eric idle as rincewind and the other voice acting done to perfection. The 2nd game was also quite good. But Discworld Noir :wail: They slaughtered 2 high quality subjects to produce a well below average game. The film noir setting was good but it doesn't suit pratchett IMHO. It was just too dark and too dark and too ewwwwwwwww. The best pratchett inspired game is the mud which is a lot of fun for about 2 months or so. However it won't appeal to all http://discworld.imaginary.com:5678/index.html

Just my opinion so don't hang me up by my figgin (read Guards!Guards! :lol: )

[This message has been edited by Lazy Bonzo (edited May 08, 2002).]

5. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] no-one seems to have actually replied to this topic... "then it pleases me to be the first."

alan rickman as rincewind (and frank oz as the luggage?) christopher lee as death (the same for SP!). sir ian mckellen as ridcully (he'd need to put on a few pounds though).

6. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG] You Exaggerate

Brian Blessed for Ridcully (Ian Mckellen??? WTF?)

Robbie Coltrane for the Dean, David Jason as CMOT, then that thin blond ugly woman from The vicar of Dibley looks exactly like Magrat...

[This message has been edited by Vukodlak (edited May 14, 2002).]

7. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

YES! - to the skinny girl from the Vicar of Dibley. What a picture. For that matter, Dawn French herself for Nanny Ogg. OK, give her some time to sprout grey hairs and a wart... can't imagine ANYONE who could play Granny Weatherwax with sufficient panache.

Steve Buscemi for Nobby.

Too bad Peter Cook died- I can't imagine a better Bursar.

8. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

How about Tony Robinson (Boldrick from Blackadder) for Nobby?

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Maggie Smith as Granny Weatherwax.
    Also, Christopher Lee would be better as Lord Vetinari than Death.
    I would also say that Christian Hayden (or whatever) would make a great Carrot.

And, on the subject of Alan Rickman as Rincewind... to quote Vukodlak, WTF?
    After seeing him as Snape in Harry Potter, I simpoly cannot imagine him as Rincewind. No way.

Ara
    (An avid member of the Society for the Ethical Treatment of Peter Pettigrew...)

10. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

You know, Maggie Smith might actually pull it off as Granny. Good one! Hmm, Alan Rickman could make a good Vetinari methinks. As for death - there's only two people I know that could pull off the VOICE : Christopher Lee and James Earl Jones.

Any ideas for Vimes?

11. Sprite Gems: 15/31

I don't know about Maggie Smith- I don't think she has strong enough facial features, and it's mentioned a number of times that Esme Weatherwax has very close-set, piercing eyes and sharp cheekbones. She also has "skin like a baby" despite her advanced age and is imposing without being classy- whereas Maggie Smith, bless her, is classy without being imposing and wrinkled as a prune these days.

Physically, the actress who meets the description best is Sarah Jessica Parker. But even given an iron-gray wig, could she pull off the piercing glare?

[Edit: can't speak to her acting talent, never actually seen her in anything. I only know she's funny-looking. :)]

[This message has been edited by Sprite (edited May 24, 2002).]

12. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Sarah Jessica Parker??? Err... NO!! :aaa::eek::toofar::almostmad::mad::mommy:

Physical similarity not as important as acting talent.

13. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31

Actually now i think about it, alan rickman could make quite a good patrician, Hayden Christeson would be crap at Carrot, Carrot has to be huge ginger and very loveble, Hayden is none of these.

14. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Alan Rickman as the Patrician? Thank you, now I have a mad plot bunny. Moving on.... I like the idea.

Just as long as the VOICE isn't a cheap Darth Vader knock-off, James Earl Jones would do fine.

Ara
    9Been awake for 24 hours... be afraid, be very afraid...)

15. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Christpher Walken as the head of the assasins guild (can;t remember his name).

16. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] What about Jeremy Irons for Ventinari? He's generally expressionless, and you can never figure out what's going on in there...

And I think John Cleese would be the *perfect* Ridcully. Can't you just picture him screaming "Bursar!"?

I'm stumped on Vimes though :hmm: What about Lady Sybil Ramkin, or Angua? Any ideas?

[New idea edit] The late John Candy would have been a great Sgt. Colon (not sure about the accent though..) :sosad:

[This message has been edited by Gnolyn Lochbreaker (edited May 27, 2002).]

17. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31

I thought about colon and managed to picture the perfect actor, and he is british short and fat and i would say in late forties, the srt that sweats a great deal. i can't for the life of me remember where i ahve seen him though.....
    Anyone in england who watched a program last night on the telly about rural life in the 30's or 40's, it is a drama about a father and son doctor, please tell me who the son is cos he would be a perfect vimes

18. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31

Veteran

Vimes is supposed to be in his fifties - how old are this father and son??

19. Sprite Gems: 15/31

Harrison Ford for Vimes - he's getting only just old and seedy-looking enough to pull it off. Minnie Driver and 100 lbs of ice cream for Lady Sybil. :p

Geoffrey Rush as Leonard of Quirm. Stephen Fry as Rincewind. John Cleese as the Librarian in a reprise of his role of "Ape" from "George of the Jungle". He can be Ridcully too when the monkey suit is off. Oook?

The late Andre the Giant would have made such a wonderful Detritus. :( And Arnold Schwarzenegger would have made a great Carrot 20 years ago- Can't think of anyone these days who can display the necessary combination of muscles, charisma and lack of imagination. Lucy Lawless in a huge blond wig for Angua? OK, I'm being silly now but it's fun. Danny de Vito as Cheery Littlebottom?

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Um, Cheery's female. And wears lipstick now. I kinda doubt Danny de Vito would go for that. :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.