1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Problem in running the game

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Sezuke, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Sezuke Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello I'm new here and i need help. I got the IWD2 collector's edition, and everytime i try to run the game, it crashes straight after the opening intro video, the same thing happens with IWD aswel...
    I tried patching, looking through common problems on the official site and I still didn't find a solution for my problem, so i hope i can find help here. :/

2. S0litude Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Direct X? The game crashes or your computer crashes?

3. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I had this problem with both IWD and IWD II as well. Extremist had a really great thread somewhere where he ran through all the various settings to play with to solve game crashes, and now I can't find the thread to post for you. :( I can't even remember which forum it was in which doesn't help.

Anyway, if your crash is during the opening film sequence it is probably a Direct X problem like it was for me. Try running dxdiag: it will give you a number of suggestions about things to do when you have a crash. I did all of them and it solved my IWD problems. I hope it does the same for you.

4. Sezuke Gems: 1/31

Hmm a DX problem? are you sure? Well if you ahd the same problem as me then it's gotta be the same deal, i have DirectX 8.1 installed though.. what else can i do to solve this problem?

And thanks alot for the help

Oh and it's the game that crashes, tighr after the intro movie it crashes back to my desktop.

5. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

It's not the version of Direct X that caused the problem, it was that the default configuration of Direct X assumed I had a better sound card and graphics card than I did. Go to Run, then type in "dxdiag" and you'll get the menu to play with your Direct X settings. One tab, "display", gives you a choice of enabling or disabling various kinds of acceleration. Try disabling them. For me it turned out to be the hardware sound acceleration level that was the problem; when I turned off sound acceleration, the game stopped crashing to desktop after the opening film.

There's a troubleshooter program in the "More Help" tab of DX diag too that can walk you through suggested solutions for various problems. Please let me know if you get it working!

6. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I had that problem with IWD. Just run the game in windowed mode as soon as a movie is being played and when it's over turn back to full screen mode.

7. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

what colour depth do you have?
    ive found that my game runs faster with only 16 bit, and i cant see the difference

8. Sezuke Gems: 1/31

Ok, I've tried disabling everything in every possible way, it still didn't work =| i've also tried changing it to windowed mode, all i got right after the video this time was an illigal operation =\ tried changing it to 16bit colors too, and nothing... It's like thame refuses to work on my computer :(

9. S0litude Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Is there enough time for you to skip the movies? If there is keep hitting esc until your in the Game menu.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.