1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pure class & Dual/Multi class

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Vinyan, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Vinyan Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I'm going to finish BGI soon and plan to play BGII after that. Now I'm looking for the best way to play my favorite class, mage. The very complexity for me to decide is about dual/multi class.

In BGII, charaters can achieve the very high lvl (lvl40) and I heard that beyond lvl20 or so character don't gain much improvement - fighter get nothing except hp, no idea about the others. Then in BGII I'm likely forced to play dual/multi mage class?

I'm preferably to play sorcerer in BGII, not dual nor multi (he can't anyway), but wondering about my advancement. If being pure class doesn't gain anything much in high lvl (especially the class that can't dual nor multi) I then am inclined to play dual class, sorcerer can't multi nor dual so fighter mage may be the best option.

I think dual class is good because when I start the 2nd class my exp start over at 0, like I have bonus of my 1st class's abilites while my 2nd class will gain full exp of exp cap. Multi class is slower in progress and can't achieve high lvl (because of exp cap) but can use both classes' abilities.

According to the advantage of being dual class like I said above then what purpose to being pure mage class or pure fighter class while the 2nd class can gain full exp cap (1st class's abilities will be activated when 2nd class's lvl is higher --> bonus). So if I like to be mage I'd better start with human fighter and dual him to be mage when my fighter reach lvl9 or 10. This leads to no one wants to play pure human mage class then why does human pure mage class exist.

Elf can't be dual class but can multi but because of exp cap he can't reach high lvl but he will have moderate abilites of the classes he multi (at his exp cap lvls). --> very good if there's no exp cap, gaining lvl very slow is reasonable for being multi class.

If being pure class doesn't get anything better than dual class in BGII then this reason pushes everyone to play dual class. If my opinion is correct then there is no variety of classes to play (--> no class balance) because everyone is going to play human fighter/mage dual class (or other else dual classes) in BGII.

So which way should I decide, between playing sorcerer because it's the class I love or change to fighter/mage because he's more powerful and still have the abilities of mage that I like (means that fighter/mage owns other classes)?

I welcome any opinion, suggestion or advice because I have not much time to play BGII twice and I'd like to savor the most fun out of BGII playing my favourtie class. Another thing, I'm very new to AD&D and don't know much about it. The above paragraphs are what I've learned so far, so some might be from my misunderstanding or else then your comments will be invaluable.

Thanks in advance,
    Vinyan
    (pondering to be) Elf Sorcerer

PS. I wonder what is the highest lvl AD&D has ever created? It would be fun if there exists a war of gods.

2. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Two or three dual-class characters can be really cool. Most of kensai/mage, start with kensai and dual-class at level 12. You get cool abilities and proficiencies as kensai. As a mage who can defend himself, you're kinag of the Realms. Cool spells, and if it gets tough you can use Tensser's Transformation, which will make you fight like a great warior. My favourite is assasin/fighter though.

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You get enough abilities as a pure class. And you only reach the lvl 40 cap if you are soloing. When I have played ToB I only got to level 30 with my fighter and I was a fair bit from the cap.
    Just take the class that you fancy and go with it, every class I powerful enough at the end.

4. jbigdaddy Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

In my opinion I think that dual class characters are the most powerful in the game.

5. Kill_Lexington Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Cleric/Ranger Assasin\Mage

6. Lord Sarevok Guest

Lol, same ones I just played. No, I don't think these classes are the most powerful, I just had(having) the most fun playing them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.