1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Q: Fastest time through BG2?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Earl Grey, Sep 24, 2001.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] There is a Hall of Fame somewhere - I just can't find it again - which has entries of the fastest, in game days/hours, BG2 games submitted.

Can someone please post the link?

While we're at it, what is your fastest - in game days of course - time through BG2?

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

42 getting out of spellhold, I think I completed at around 56 as the fastest run through the game

[EDIT]

72 days is my record for doing every quest in the game with the following party (not changing NPC's).
    Berserker
    Korgan
    Viconia
    Edwin
    Jan
    Haer'Dalis

Ok, I might have skipped half of the stronghold plot because I really didn't care to wait for it to finish

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited September 24, 2001).]

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I spent more than 100 days for sure...
    I was eager to finish a romance.

Time Hall of Fame?
    I want to see Number of Done things Hall of Fame. :p

4. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Don't really know... probably around 70 days.

5. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Personal best is 45 days 21 hours. I did all the quests for the NPCs I had though I did not change NPCs much over the course of the game. My party consisted of: PC Undead Hunter, Mazzy, Valygar, Jaheira, Yoshimo/Imoen, and Aerie. The only major quest that I know I left out - didn't know about it at the time - was the Twisted Rune.

6. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

7. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Nope, that's not it.
    I'm pretty sure the list was on another site. You can submit your last save - I think - to get the time listed. It was not a forum thread.

IIRC the best time submitted was at 7+ days :aaa: but the second best time was much more than that, about 20 days I think but my memory on that is very blurry.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I'll start a new BG2 run now with the purpose of making it as fast as possible. I'll post the days/hours taken to the end of each chapter here.

Now, what class to choose and which NPC's to use... :book:

8. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Some people have far to much time on their hands. Why would anyone spend time on raping the game like that. :rolleyes:

9. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] When this person said they did it in 7+ days, I am assuming they subtracted out the time to and from Spellhold on the ship???

10. Earl Grey

[​IMG] I think the submissions were based on time shown by the last save, so the time spent travelling would have to be included. This means minimizing travel outside of Athkatla.

Nobleman, perhaps we can see it as the equivalent of a 5-minute quickie instead?

Anyway Irenicus Dungeon cleared at 0 days and 5 hours. Chapter 2 started at 0 days and 8 hours. I love testing the limits of this game! :love:
    Protagonist is an Undead Hunter.

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

5 minute quickie? :D only because of that remark I won't argue about how lame it is to rush through.

Edited Here: 5 minute quickie. :rolleyes: Doesn't leave much time for romancing does it? ;)

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited September 26, 2001).]

12. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

If memory serves, travelling time from Athkatla to Bremmen is 8 days thus making that claim of 7 days impossible.

13. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Thank you Johnny! But it's Brynnlaw not Bremmen ;). But yeah, I'm not sure if it's 8 days but it is at least 4 going on ths ship and lets say this guy or gal skipped Saughin City and went straight to the Underdark, heck I'm sure he/she didn't go to places like Trademeet and Windspear Hills. That gives 3 days time to do the rest of the game at most...highly unlikely unless he/she had some buffed up and I mean buffed up pc and crew.

14. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Johnny and Big B, You are correct!
    The travel from Athkatla to Brynnlaw just took me 7 days and 8 hours.

End of chapter 3: 1 day 16 hours
    Start of chapter 4: 9 days 0 hours

The party will not sleep until Imoen is free! Boo is getting squirmy but they push on! This is the way BG2 should be played! How can anyone delay the rescue while she is imprisoned and constantly tortured? :flaming:

15. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

:lol: Do you really mean that? the chances of utter death is to the party is very high. ITs only because you know every detail in the game that it is possible.

Try to image the NPC. They wouldn't rush halfhearted into a struggle with Irenicus and be certain to die. Of course I don't think Minsc considers the option "reload" ;)

16. Earl Grey

[​IMG] I haven't told Minsc about the reload option yet so he still thinks us invincible. ;)

In truth there are benefits of playing the game like this. You stay focused on your goal and for me this brings more "realism" to the quest. Of course all the quests are the flesh and blood of BG2 and it would be horrible to not do them if you haven't done them many times before.

The party:
    - Undead Hunter
    - Keldorn
    - Minsc
    - Anomen
    - Yoshimo (yeah!)
    Note that this is fighter heavy almost to the extreme so as to avoid resting just to get spells back. Healing is handled by healing potions or going to a temple if it's convenient.

They are at about level 10 and reasonably equipped, the only "uber-weapon" they have is the Sling of Everard but they have a few +3 weapons so they're ok.

17. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

So is the underdark killing you? SPOILER!! I better hope you get the ring of regeneration is Bodhi's lair. That will ease your pain. I think you should try and rush out of the underdark as fast as possible and then spend a lot of money on different potions. And get staff of Rynn at ribald to kill the Adamantium golems in sundanesselar. That will save you from a trip to De'Arnise hold.

How is the 5 minute quickie going? :D

18. Earl Grey

[​IMG] Oh my, it's been positively ages since I played BG2. This particular game is on hold somewhere in the dark elf city and I have the saves on disk.

I haven't played BG2 for over two months and when I tried to install it a week ago it failed. Will try again soon, but for now it's a no-go.

Has anyone tried to do BG2 like this since September?

19. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG] Woohooo. This is a day to remember. Welcome Back Earl Grey. I might dust off BG2 from whereever I put it months ago, just for you. I rarely even look in this forum anymore. Great to see you!

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited December 21, 2001).]

20. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Cool, I'm gonna get right at racing through the game. I'll let you know soon.

[update:] I'm trying a mono-archer.
    I've already given the 15000 to our Shadow thief friend, but its still not night yet,
    and you can't go to bodhi or Mook until the first night, so that alone takes about 24 hours. I got to this point without sleeping.
    I don't go travelling outside the city because it costs hours and hours, I also don't sleep, but get healings from the priests. Now I'm just doing minor quests until nightfall

[This message has been edited by StressedE (edited December 21, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.