1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Question about Carsomyr

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by plasma, Mar 11, 2002.

1. plasma Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Does anyone know at what level Carsomyr's Dispel Magic ability performs? I'm curious about both its dispel magic on each hit as well as its dispel 3 times a day ability.

I've only tried the dispel magic ability a few times and it hasn't worked that great.

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I never used that weapon. I always sold it.

So, this is just my speculation, I can't check it in actualy game.
    Dispel Magic 3 times acts as if the caster is level 15 no matter the actual caster's level.

Dispel Magic imbued in the sword acts according to wielder's current level.
    So, if the wielder is level 12, sword hit will press dispell as if the dispell magic was casted from a level 12 caster.

Last note that is NOT speculation - if the wielder is inquisitor, Carsomyr won't "borrow" inquisitor's overpowered dispell ability. It will still use the pure cleric dispell magic.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited March 11, 2002).]

3. plasma Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Thanks Extremist.

But is the speculation that the dispel ability acts as 15th level a complete guess or is that based on something?

I'd like to be able to rely more on Carsomyr's dispel ability (I have a Cavalier) rather than force my NPC's to memorize a bunch of them. If it does act as 15th level, that's about as good as any of my NPC's.

4. christopher_c_pitzer Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

On a side note, I have noticed that very few spells stay cast when Carsomyr hits the spell caster. Most battles with mages I just sent my Inquisitor face to face with the mage and all his spells were nicely dealt with. I think there may have only been one or two occasions when I used a Breach or Pierce Magic spell. That is just my recollection and my paladin was level 17 before he made it down to the Underdark, so few things could withstand a level 17 dispel.

5. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

It is based (imagine on what) inquisitor special ability.
    It has a first parametar of the effect (in this case - spell) always double of the value of his level.
    The sword has this parametar set fixed on 15 for a imbued spell available 3 times.

This is also why I know for certain that sword doesn't hit+dispell as inquisitor levels up - the effect it has with the swing is as casting the ordinary Dispell Magic which then checks level of a caster/wielder and behaves according to that level. No multiply with 2.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.