1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Question - Dual Class vs Multi Class

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by fr34k, Mar 19, 2001.

1. fr34k Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Go easy on the newbie...

Dual Classing, I've heard alot about Dual/Multiclassing, and I want to try it out, I started the game with no where near enough magic users, so I'm starting out again. I have a few questions though:

Dual Classing, when's the best time to do it? lvl 9/10?

Dual Classing: what to what?

for example, I'm looking at having a Kensai/Mage

but... should I build the Kensai first or the Mage? or should I Multiclass that combo?

I've read scads of info on multiclass/dualclass, but now I'm just more confused...

any suggestions?

I'd like to end up with:

Paladin (havent figured what kit yet)
    Kensai/Mage
    Fighter/Cleric
    Monk

and a few more, but if I do this dualclassing, I wont have any good healers/magic users until I dualclass...?

what's the best way to do it then - multiclassing?

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I prefer to dualclass as early as possible, direct at the start at lvl-8 - so you´ll be able to enjoy the chars full abilities when you need them, during the tougher fights in the game. My fav combinations are dc fighter (kensai)-thief, dc fighter (kensai)-mage and the dc swashbuckler-mage, though a dc fighter-cleric is also awesome.

However, I discussed dc-vs.-mc extensively ;) in the following topic:
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/001728.html

You know that you´ll unavoidably and irreversibly turn into a powergamer when you dual your char so consider that wisely.... :D

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited March 19, 2001).]

3. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Start with the Kensai, because you begin with more weapon proficiencies and higher hit points.
    If you dual at level 9, IMMEDIATELY upon hitting nine, you'll spend very little down time. That is to say, you can't regain your fighting ability or weapon proficiencies till you achieve level 10 in your new class. That'll be around 250,000 experiance points.
    That let's you achieve a level 17 mage, using (3) level 7 and (2) level 8 spells.

If you wait till level 13, you get an extra weapon slot and lower thaco, but then you'll have to get to level 14 in your new class, which for a mage is 1,500,000 ex pts. That's a loooonnnnggg time to wait to get back that fighting ability. If you're traveling with 5 other characters, you'll be way into the game , the whole time you'll be a weak link.
    Because the max ex pt. limit is 2,950,000 ( or something close to that), that's TOTAL ex points, you'll only get to level ...14 I think. That lets you use (1) level 7 mage spell, and then only at the very end of the game probably.
    That all assumes you don't use the ex pt remover, but if you do, the sky's the limit.

This site, Sorceror's that is, is a great resource. Check it out, as it has all the answers that you could want on this subject.

Because I hate his front page (sorry dude), here's a link to BG2 specific info, and here's one to dualing....

oops. I couldn't find it, but run a search of this forum and you'll find a lot more than you wanted to know...

If I were you, I'd dual at level 9.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.