1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Areas

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by keaven, Feb 6, 2003.

1. keaven Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Is there a way to have an area transition that will randomly load an area from a set number of choices?

here's the idea... a forest maze where the characters have to follow a specific path in order to get through. Ex: N-N-E-W-W-N-Exit
    If the characters take a different route, it would load one of the forest areas at random.

any ideas? is it even possible? :confused:

[ February 06, 2003, 05:14: Message edited by: keaven ]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think it's possible and I've seen a script for it somewhere, but can't find it now. But you probably don't really want to use this... Everyone will curse you like they did Fell Wood in IWD2.

[ February 07, 2003, 20:47: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

3. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yes it is possible and it is not that hard to do either.

At one point I considered doing something similar. A forest where you could get lost. A random chance at AT to get deeper into the woods. And if you found the map the probability to get out of the woods increased. There are all sorts of possibilities.

You can have a neverending forest by just keeping track of the PCs actual place. Lets say he enters from west going east, call that (0,0). From there he continues east into next area, call that (1,0) and so on. The thing is that the actual area that you use could be the one and same for all forest "areas" (or better a set of 4-10 maybe). The AT script decides wether the PC has reached the edge of the forest or not.

One thing to think about when it comes to random transitions is if it is multiplayer. You may want to set up the AT so it gives the same route for "a while" so that people travelling together end up in the same area.

Bottom line, it is all possible.

4. keaven Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

ah.. well, if its possible, then i will see what i can do. thanks for the ideas. yeah, i know that people would probably curse me... but it wouldn't be a needed area to go to. probubly like a haunted forest near a town somewhere that wouold make an acceptable sidequest should players want to put themselves through it <shrug>.. i dunno :)

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I seem to remember seeing a script for this on Neverwinter Vault. Perhaps you should check there.

6. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I don't think you can make an AT do randoms. However you could make a dead AT and then put a trigger in front of it. That way when someone entered the trigger you could jump them to a random waypoint. I could be wrong, but thats how I'd do it.

7. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] Huh?
    AT is an trigger. Just choose destination type none under the 'Area Transition' and let a script attached to OnClick do all the work.

You can do the same thing on doors as well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.