1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rate this party for me, lemme know if it would work...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Kenshiro, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Kenshiro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Okay, here's the party I have envisioned, and if any of you recognize what books these chars are from, I will be VERY impressed. And keep in mind, if you do recognize, this as close a translation to BG2 as I can get.

Scythe
    Human Male Kensai or DC Kensai/Thief or Thief/Fighter
    uses primarily katanas, but will work with longswords too

Archer

Female Archer, longbows, naturally

Jarral

Male druid, focusing on Fire spells and Elemental summonings. Maybe start off as a Fighter and dual to druid at the start of BG2

Mandra

Female Human Sorceress or Half Elf Mage/Thief(do need a thief after all)

Cryl Tabbletang
    Elven Mage/Cleric, or a Human Wizard

Keill Randor
    Human Monk or Paladin

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Sounds balanced to me.

3. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I have no Idea what book you got this from, could you shed some light on it for us, please :)

I would have Cryl Tabbletang be a Sorcerer, as I think they're cool (I have one in my party)

Scythe be a DC Kensai/Thief

Jarral dual from a fighter to a druid at level 13

And Keill Rand or be a Monk, for the increased movement rate, and killer fist attacks (Monks are really cool I have one in my current party)

These are what I would make them but they may be a bit out from what the book described them as. :)

[Edit]
    In answere to you question, yes I think that this would be a very well balanced party (I've never played an Archer though, but I've heared good things about them!!!) and it looks like you've put a lot of thought into it. Yuo will do well with this party.

4. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Better give your archer slots in short bow. You will not regret....

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not bad. Some considerations:

1. Scythe should some have some thieving skills if Mandra doesn’t. Also, blunt weapon specialization could come in handy for those enemies immune to other damage types (eg. clay golems). Not exactly in keeping with a Kensai’s “sword saint” title, though.
    2. Archer – further to Skywind's comment, depending on how you feel about an archer using short bows, IMO there are three short bows in BG2 that are far better than any long bow available.
    3. Cryl Tabbletang should have some cleric skills for party balance.

But overall, it looks just fine.

No idea on the books, though.

Edit: Hey! A new gem! And on a post where I wasn't being a smart-ass (for once) :)

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    It looks fairly balanced to me. One recommendation I would definitely make though is to start the druid out as a fighter. The only weakness I currently see in your party is you don't have a lot of beef up front. By starting with a fighter and then dualling to a druid (or perhaps just multiclassing unless you need the character to be a human for the purpose of the book) you will have two characters that can stand on the front line.

As far as your other options go: You definitely don't need two characters who are part thief. I would probably go for a kensai dualled to a thief, a sorceress, a mage/cleric, archer, paladin (either Inquisitor or Undead Hunter) and a fighter dualled to a druid. I'd have your paladin and the fighter/druid stand in the front row as your tanks, the kensai-thief is your scout and backstab artist, mage/clerics are just so versatile, and you don't have to worry about the slow level progression, because you have a druid to help out with healing, and a sorceress who will have a TON of mage spells at her disposal. By the time you get to around 1 million XP, that archer should be able to kill anything that he gets close to.

One more comment - the arguement for using short bows over long bows can be boiled down to two words: Gesen Bow. Although it will fire lighting arrows without ammunition, you can equip regular ammunition in it as well, and then you get the damage from the regular projectile as well. For example: if you equip fire arrows in it, you'll get:

1-6 damage from the arrow itself
    1-6 damage from the lightning
    1-6 damage from the fire

Plus, if you archer has grand mastery, he'll be firing three times per round. That's an average damage of 32 every round (maximum of 54) which is going to more than a lot of front line characters do.

7. spoogemonkey Gems: 5/31

a little short on healing, aren't you?

you might scrape by with a druid.... but not one that concentrates on summoning...

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @SM

Not if he goes with the option of taking a fighter, dual-classing him to a druid, and taking along a mage/cleric. That was one of his options, and that's why I favored that. A half cleric and a druid should provide all the healing you need.

9. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

My party ethos:

At least two mage-type spell casters, at least one full or dual classed. Take sorcerer only if you have another mage.

At least one healer. I don't recomend taking druid and no cleric. druids are good in MC with fighter class, however.

Don't make the basher Kensai. Even more if the other meeler is a monk he will got to stand a lot of damage, which kensai can't as he can't have armor. If you play a Kensai, you will need a lot of heeling (and even in the middle of battle, which is difficult as it prevents cleric from frying of enemies, plus good healing spells take long to cast). It could be better with DC kensai/mage (or kensai/druid), as he'll got stoneskins and mirror images, but those can be dispelled...

You can start a mage as a thief. you don't need very high abilities (Imoen suffices as a thief for the whole game), and he will even get the thieving XP bonuses acording to his mage level!

10. Kenshiro Gems: 5/31

Well all the chars except Keill are from the book Blade of the Poisoner by Douglas Hill, a fantasy book about a group of heroes hunted because they each have a Talent, like a mutant ability. Scythe is blind with his eyes but can see all around him with his mind, and is a expert swordsman(hence kensai), Archer is a expert shot and has telekinesis so she doesn't miss. Mandra has mind control powers but I decided to make her a mage. Jarral can create fires but later finds out he has the other ability to summon Elementals. Cryl is one of the few actual mages in the world.

Keill Randor is from a series called Galatic Warlord, by the same author, and he's the last warrior of his people. He's expert in unarmed combat but with weapons too, so I couldn't decide which I wanna make him.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.