1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Regarding the banner advertising on SP

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Taluntain, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Since people keep asking me this I thought it might be a good idea to make a post about it here to help clear it all up. The text is taken from the Helping Sorcerer's Place page, which I've just updated with this information:

Regular advertising on Sorcerer's Place is displayed via several advertising banners. The banners are located throughout the site and our message boards, and come in various sizes and positions. While some of the ads pay a very small sum even if people don't click on them, the wide majority of them only pay if people click them, or buy something from the pages that open after clicking on the banner.

Your clicking on the advertising on SP will help support the site and make a difference. Despite the fact that advertising is not the only means of supporting the site, it remains an important one, especially because everyone can help the site this way at no cost to themselves.

HOWEVER (and this is important!), please don't go on a click-fest clicking various ads across the site several dozen times a day. All advertising providers these days have trackers that will discard large amount of clicks coming from the same computer/IP in a short period of time, so you aren't helping at all if you click too much, since your clicks most likely won't count. Clicking a few ads a day is plenty, and will help us out with paying the server costs.

If anyone has any questions related to this topic, please ask here so that I can explain and update that page. Thanks.

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well there is a certain question that I'm quite sure will interest quite a few here. How well do you know your ad providers and do you know if all their sites are completely reliable? On my own computer I'm quite convinced that all spyware that I get I can clean but then at home I use my SPS account and I don't get the ads since I prefer the quick loading time. At work however I let the banners load, the computer has a popup preventer which I won't start touching, but I might enter some of the ad sites while I'm there and bored if I can be fairly sure that the sites are safe of spyware and viruses.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Nothing with any advertising provider is absolutely reliable. Most of them resell their advertising inventory to other smaller advertisers, and they can basically put in things they shouldn't and get away with it until someone complains about it. That's the sad reality of the situation. However, the advertising providers I've been using for the last couple of years have been decent enough about this, and at least they've removed any problematic ads that I've complained about.

The nastiest things I've encountered in the past were some pop-ups with borderline adult content and pop-ups spawning another pop-up upon closure. I don't think anything more insidious has ever come from the current advertising provider apart from some plain stupid (but harmless) quirks.

Having said that, some of the advertising is geographically targeted, so people in different countries are seeing different ads, so having any sort of overview of advertising that isn't my own or displaying for me is impossible for me. Hence my relying on people to report problematic ads if they see them.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I've got Alienware and Swapday.com showing up on my screen at the moment, plus some SquareEnix game. I've only vaguely heard of Alienware and never heard of the other two.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Alienware is a high-end computer manufacturer.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I thought Alienware was some sort of novelty computer company that made shells that looked like imitations of Roswell style alien heads.

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Well, they do that, but they put those shells on some awesome machines. My Alienware laptop is quickly monopolizing my non-Internet time because I've transferred nearly all of my games over to it.

SquareEnix used to be SquareSoft; it's a big name in games, especially the Final Fantasy series. I'm not sure if it was a merger or a management change or even just a name change, but it's still basically the same kind of company.

8. Taluntain

Media:
    The Romancing SaGa and swapday.com ads are actually one of the ads that pay solely per unique click, so if you haven't checked them out yet, please do. Alienware only pays if someone actually buys a computer there after clicking on the ad.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Out of curiosity, how many people have bought Alienware computers through SP links so far?

10. Taluntain

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.