1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Religions percentage pre-poll

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Dice, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I am interested in doing a poll about what percentages of people belong to different religious sects. I will have a choice of "other" but before I start the poll I would like to try and get as many religions that our people here belong too.

I will start the list, and you add the ones that I have missed. Please only add ones that I have missed ONLY if you are practicing something that has not been included. I don't want options that get 0%.

I will make the official poll tomorrow or the next day when I get enough responses.

Here are some of the options I will list:

Roman Catholic
    Baptist
    Budist
    Christian (feel free to make this more specific)
    Jehova Witness
    Athiest
    Pagan

etc. (help me finish this list)

edit - I see that some people didn't read carefully what I wrote. If it makes it easier, start your post with - "My religion is ...."

[ October 23, 2005, 03:25: Message edited by: Dragonfly ]

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Mormon, Anglo Catholic, Quakers...how long do you want to make the list? Christian is a very broad term.

Also, considering the number of Atheists, Agnostics and non-believers on this board will you include this?

Taoist, Hindu, Islamic...

No matter how long you make the list someone's religion is going to be left out.

edit: :doh: how could i forget Jewish

3. iceviper77 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm a jew.religious,orthodox.

4. LeFleur Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

So there's Roman Catholic and christian on your list? That might piss some people off...

5. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Catholics are Christians.

Anyway, I was raised Dutch Protestant (Christian), but am seeking ways to convert to Catholocism. My Wife is Catholic, and I have decided that it will be less confusing for our children (when we have them) if I can participate in Catholic rituals when we go to church together.

6. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Isn't pagan just someone that is not Christian? Its a very broad term indeed.

What about Hindu, Zoroastrian, Baalim.

I guess Wicca could be added, but its just a religion that steals from others, and its creator Gardner, based everyting on Alistair Crowley (who in turn, created a religion which was just a mish-mash of others).

7. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Here are two more ...

Zoroastrianism- The religion of the followers of the prophet known in the West as Zoroaster (Zarathustra to his followers). Zarathushtra was the first prophet to teach monotheism, the belief in one God. He preached a new doctrine of goodness and retribution. And gave the world the triple motto of Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds.

Zurvanism- A 'heretical' sect of Zoroastrianism. The basic heresy was the creation of the god Zurvan (Eternal Time) who begets his sons Ohrmazd and Ahriman. As Boyce (1979: 69) notes, "by declaring that Ohrmazd and Ahriman are brothers, the Zurvanites betrayed Zoroaster's fundamental doctrine that good and evil are utterly separate and distinct by origin and nature."

The name Zurvan means Time and the heresy developed from the argument that if there were primal twins, then there must also have been a creator father and the only possible father was Zurvan.

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    ... stop misintrrtepeting Wicca. *sigh* damn those fluffies....

Satanism, Shinto and neo-paganism would definitely belong to the list as well.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I believe you should make Christian more specific or give a "Christian (other)" option. Everyone who's Catholic is Christian first, so it's a bit redundant, too. ;)

I suggest Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant (evangelical, i.e. Lutheran or related), Protestant (reformed, i.e. calvinist, presbyterian), other. Note that there are denominations which consider themselves Christian but aren't considered Christian by other denominations, so we're pretty much going to go by individual sentiment. Either this or one big Christian option.

You may have some problems with Islam, as shi'ites and sunnites differ quite a bit. There are denominations within judaism, too, but I don't think there is such a sharp divide as in Christianity or Islam.

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Folks, note the first post:

Unless you practice a religion, don't add it. It appears that the purpose of the poll is to determing members' religions, not the world's religions.

11. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Agnosticism. It seems (from other posts) that there are quite a few agnostics.

EDIT: Crap, sorry, I didn't see that Ara had already said that. I thought she had just mentioned Atheism. Sorry 'bout that.

12. Dice

Media:
    Thanks dmc. I will be using ONLY RELIGIONS THAT BELONG TO SPECIFIC PEOPLE... Remember

IF IT IS NOT YOUR RELIGION DON"T WRITE IT DOWN PLEASE!! :nono:

13. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Sorry about that Dragonfly. Though I am neither a Zoroastrian nor Zurvanite, I was raised with a somewhat liberal Buddhist/Bon background. The latter faith has perceptible influences of Persian beliefs, especially it would seem ,those of Zurvaniasm.

The creation myth I am most familliar with reflects this influence. Yang-dag rgyal-po, a deus otiosus, who exisited when there was neither sun nor moon, but only pure potentiality cooresponding to Zurvan and 'Od-zer ldan - 'The Radiant' mirroring Ohrmazd. Likewise his dark twin Myal-ba nag-po - 'Black Grief', resembles Ahriman. As many of the religions of Tibet are eclectic in their outlook, various (but simmilar) versions of myth exist in both the Bon and Buddhist tradition. To confound matters further there also exist very different and contradictory creation accounts... :)

I would ask that you list Bon in your poll but I am probably too confused and too irreligious to vote for it.

14. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Yes, as Nakia pointed out, Mormon should be included even though, like Catholics, baptist and Jehovah's witnesses, we class as Christians. I believe that the definition of Christianity is that the Life, Teachings, Death, Resurrection and Atonement of Jesus Christ are core teachings of the faith.

15. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    @Gnarff - I've never heard of Mormons being classed as Christians, I thought they were a completely different religion?

16. Dice

Media:
    I'm thinking that I won't make a poll after all. My information gathering technique appears to have some holes. :shake: Oh Well.

17. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i think mormons are under christianity...

and what about hethens(spl?)? following scandinavian(northern) mythology

18. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It is obvious that this thread has outlived its usefulness, given that Dragonfly has dropped the idea and the subsquent posts were off-topic.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.