1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Romance for us Gals?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Tayja, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Tayja Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] So, I see everybody commenting on Jaheira's, Tashia's, and Imoen's romances, and their ensuing bugs.

Who is there for us ladies? I'm on my first time through playing a female paladin. I'm only on chapter 3, so tell me is there someone tall dark and powerful in my future, besides Irenicus -yuk!-?

I had thought maybe Haer Dalis would try some of his bardly charms on me, but he seemed more interested in Aerie. And I got tired of being called "my raven", so I ditched him. And I wouldn't even consider Amonmen, he's too annoying.

So how about it? Are there any charming romantic men in my future?

2. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Just thought I'd mention the Kelsey mod. I think you can download it from SP. It sounds to along the lines you're looking for.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you are playing without mods, I regret to inform you that Anomen is it, and, as you have already noted, "it" isn't much. Sorry. Try the Sola mod.

4. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hmm. Didn't think of Solaufein.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Maybe you could just important that Girlde of Gender Switching (or whatever it is) from Baldur's Gate, put it on a male PC, and voila! - a lesbian romance! :D ;) :p

6. Hardcase Von Crudd Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Question:
    If you put the girdle of gender-switching on a female character (making her male), could your female character then have a romance with him?

7. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

:lol: Gender bender!

Interesting idea...

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As far as I know the difference with the girdle is just cosmetic (i.e. your avatar changes, but it has no other effect on the game). And it's not a valid item in BG2 anyway.

9. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Wait, there's a Solaufein mod? Oh yeah, I got to get that!
    And I'd just like to say in Anomen's defense that I thought the thing with his sister and the Order of the Most Radiant Heart was very spiffy. Don't sell Anomen so short ladies. He's still the cutest out of all of them. [END SPOILER]

[ December 20, 2002, 11:32: Message edited by: DarkGoddess ]

10. jcompton Gems: 9/31

As mentioned, there's Solaufein (drow fighter/mage)
    htttp://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~weimer/bgate

and Kelsey (human sorcerer)
    http://www.forgottenwars.net/kelsey

Solaufein's romance is designed as a "universal" romance: he romances either gender, any race, ignores existing romances, etc.

Kelsey's romance is designed to interact with the rest of the game. So there are sniping sessions between Kelsey and Anomen, and Anomen will come back in TOB and try to seduce the PC away from him.

There's an optional Kelsey/Solaufein conflict but it's pretty one-sided (since Solaufein's creator doesn't "believe" in romance conflict, it involves no dialogue on Solaufein's part, it's just Kelsey complaining. Not my first choice, but that's what we got.)

11. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

As noted by another much earlier on here in Sorcerer's Place, the "gender factor" for romantic purposes is determined in the beginning of the game. Meaning, the very second you've done loading the Irenicus' Dungeon up with the new game and see yourself there inside the cell tortured by Irenicus, the gender factor has already been given. So after that, no amount of gender tinkering will have any effect on romance.

So, if you start a multiplayer game with male character. Then save as soon as you're able. Then load and remove your male protagonist and import a new female character on that slot instead. Now you'll have a female character, which every NPC speaks to and of as if she was a female, but other female NPC romance character will treat her as a male for romantic purposes. So you can now have a lesbian romance. With a few misleading sentences like Aerie's "I've never slept with a man before" (girl, you still won't have after the next night... what the hell do men have to do with this anyway?).

Real amusing. I tried it and liked it.

12. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31

[​IMG] Actually me and another fellow I met from TeamBG's mIRC chat room, are working on a Minsc romance. Jocularity guaranteed! Once we have finished that, we might do a Korgan romance.

Gabriel

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] A minsc romance? *That* should be worth waiting for!

**Possible spoiling here**

I'm experimenting with an NPC atm - trying it so the my NPC (male) gets into an argument with Edwin/a and s/he changes their gender too. I don't know how it will work out though :hmm:

14. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Tayja: Welcome, fellow paladin :)

I'm afraid your romanced options are limited to A-no-man vel Annoyman vel Assomen (Anomen Delryn).

Mr Compton created Kelsey who's generally considered a good romance NPC and I don't know of any other hetero option for lady-players.

Tristana is planning Ajantis, but she's at LoveTalk stage at the moment. Myself I'm at the planning stage of so called (by Tristana ;) )Aetheoran Mod (though some other name may be chosen) - male cavallier (pally kit) romance NPC. My inspiration was Anomen. I immediately felt internal compulsion to present a REAL paladin who DOES know that it's all about :D

If you want to know more then visit forums.forgottenwars.net. I'm chevalier des Trois-Tours there. Tristana has her own thread at MOD ideas section. I don't plan one but sooner or later I'll have to.

[ December 20, 2002, 21:52: Message edited by: chevalier des Trois-Tours ]

15. Hardcase Von Crudd Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] It's a shame the gender-bender girdle won't allow romances.

I like the idea of 'shopping' for a mate.
    Wrong gender?
    No problem!
    Just hit them with the girdle then start in with the chocolates and the flowers. :D

(aint I romantic)

16. GabrielNYC Gems: 9/31

gender changing someone just for romance?? a bit disturbing!

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Remember it's only a physiological change. Memories are left and Edwin's still a man in woman's body.

18. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Oddly enough, I went through the entire game (twice) with no romance at all :(

I can't figure that one out....

[ December 22, 2002, 07:31: Message edited by: scarampella ]

19. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

chevalier des Trois-Tours:

Actually, read Ed Greenwood's "Elminster: The Making Of A Mage". Even though it is just a book, the way Elminster changes in his 2-year period of being a woman called Elmara is quite profound indeed. Mind is the same with all humans, it is the body (body, hormones, culture) that makes the difference between men and women. The contents of this book might seem sick to some more conservative folks, but it's a pretty good psychological approach for the issue of a man being in a woman's body or vice versa. Considering that it's still supposed to be only a fantasy book telling the tale of the childhood and young adult years of the most powerful mage upon FaerĂșn to-be.

Have any of you males (well Elminster was originally male, but this applies to original females just as well) ever wondered.. what would change in the friendship of your friends if your own sex was suddenly changed? In short-term, maybe not much. But long-term? I'm talking about heterosexuals here then. Though I guess the effects for a homosexual would be the same, opposite way of course. :)

It's an interesting thing to think about. Would your best friend become something different? Something more? Or would it destroy your friendship because of the inbalance this change would bring to it? Or even several years after the change, would it have no effect at all? I'm pretty sure the thought of this isn't new to most people. But to seriously consider it... that just might be.

Edit: Oh yeah. As if I would care what you people think (obviously I do for I'm saying this), I do not accept transsexuals. That means that even for these thoughts, I'm quite purely heterosexual. But thinking about things from every possible angle is quite interesting at times.

[ December 23, 2002, 14:10: Message edited by: Forashi ]

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Well, when I have all the skills necessary, I want to make a mod that will introduce two new NPCs, one male and one female, that can be romanced/befriended. That won't happen for a while though, since I still have to learn how to use WeiDU, and some other tools. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.