1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Rugby World Cup!

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Harbourboy, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Woohoo! New Zealand has won the rights to hold the 2011 Rugby World Cup! All the commentators were saying we didn't have a chance and that it was a race between South Africa and Japan but somehow the votes went our way.

Last time we hosted the World Cup in 1987 we won it so here's hoping history repeats itself.

Meanwhile, first we have to beat England (who beat the Aussies last week).......

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Go New Zealand. Hm... I wonder if I might be able to make that, what an experience that would be. I'll have to keep 2011 a clear calender :lol: .

Oh and you're going to absolutely destroy us on Saturday. The AB's are unstoppable.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'll be up in the early hours of the morning to watch that game. England did beat Australia last week so maybe they are back on the winning trail after the biggest post World Cup victory collapse ever. You ARE the World Champions, after all.

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    We played Australia just at the right time though. They're in a worse situation that we are. I would still only rate us around 4th/5th in the World right now and nowhere near AB standard, they are a class above right now. If we're going to prevent a pasting we have to dominate up front (eyes on Sheridan, the man-mountain) as trying to play the AB's at their own game is suicide.

The RWC is long forgotten now after all the retirements and long term injuries we've had. Now we're still in something of a transition period.

5. Harbourboy

Ooh, close at half time. 13-10 to the All Blacks, but would be 13-13 if Hodgson hadn't muffed that kick.

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    The AB's the best side in this match, although England are making a good game of it. Shame Umagas try was an illegal forward pass...
    I reckon you can nulify a lot of the AB's threat by getting someone to just sit in Dan Carters pants all game...
    It's good to see that we're playing the AB's at their own game for the most part and standing toe-to-toe with them.

This game makes me even more convinced that however good New Zealand are, they are also a very dirty team that need stopping just for the good of rugby. It won't be us stopping them though, they are just too good. At least we have given them a decent game of it so far.

[ November 19, 2005, 17:15: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

7. Harbourboy

Oh come on, Barmy! You are SO one-eyed, it's amazing. You call the All Blacks dirty? The biggest idiot thug in worl rugby is that nutter Danny Grewcock. And anyway, that's what the referee is for. If you cheat, you get penalised and/or sent off, as happened today.

8. Barmy Army

Media:
    What's one-eyed about saying they're a dirty SIDE (recognize the emphasis?). Danny Grewcock didn't block runners, come in at the side, tackle high and late :lol: . Woodcock (or whatever his name is) just commited foul after foul. The ref today didn't take any **** and it almost lost the AB's the game because they were playing with one man down for about a quarter of the match. Saying that, there's no denying New Zealand are the best union team around by quite a distance right now. Dan Carter is the most complete player I've ever seen.

it was better anyway from England, the pack dominance is on it's way back and we have some great runners in Cueto, Lewsey and Cohen. We're getting ready for 2007 :) .

9. Harbourboy

To win at international level you have to push the rules to the absolute limit. You can't tell me that the champion England side that won the World Cup didn't do that. Every side tries it, the trick is getting away with it. That's just being smart and ruthless. Good on the referee for letting everyone know where that line was today.

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    Yeah, I suppose you're right, I just don't like cheats (I don't think the WC winning England side cheating so blatantly as these guys, they don't even try to disguise a lot of the time). Umaga was just winding me up as well, the ref should have shown him the yellow for gobbing off all the time. I really don't like that bloke.

Although we lost I was pleased with the team. I think we at the very least equalled the AB's in the pack (our try was a great display of dominant power, I love it when the pack charges like that). Also our line-out is more consistant than it was. If you can control the line-outs and dominate up front then you have rugby union matches by the jugular. Mix a precision kick master like Wilko in and you have a WC winning side, unfortunately Hodgson is a very hot and cold fly half and Olly Barkley is too lightweight. We need Wilko fit again, but I think injuries may have curtailed his career before time...

Bit off topic, but I hope we play Wales soon so we can shut them up!! Ever since that debacle of a Six Nations the Welsh think they are a superior side to us and have a really arrogant attitude about it. I think we are the best home nation and the 2nd best in the northern hemisphere now (behind France) and I want them to bring they frilly haired girlies to Twickers for a beating :) . Put them back in their place.

11. Harbourboy

Were you watching the same game?? The English players (not just Corry) never stopped yapping at the ref, even when going on and off the field at half time. I don't think I've ever seen so much chat to the ref in a rugby game (that didn't involve George Gregan).

Main problem for England is that they still have no backs that are any good. Whenever the ball goes out the English backs you can be fairly certain they're not going to score. As soon as you get some decent backs you'll be back on top.

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    I meant at the ref's decisions... it was like 'what ref? how dare you sin bin my player for cheating? we always get away with it'.

Our pack was good, as I said, Borthwick was good especially. As for Sheridan (who I talked up a bit), I'm kind of glad he was out-done by Hayman. It's not fair on the lad to be bigged up so much and have the hopes of so many placed on his shoulders. The English press always need a golden boy to pile all the hopes on, that does my head in sometimes...

[ November 20, 2005, 00:16: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

13. Harbourboy

So how long will you be in 'transition' for? It's been two years now. Will you be looking to reclaim Six Nations next time? Still think you could do with finding some quality backs.

14. Barmy Army

Media:
    As long as is necessary... There is plenty of young English talent about, it's just a question of building a team together so they all understand each other, like the team of 2003. The forward pack is coming together and Corry is looking like he has the makings of a good captain, we just have a few more areas that need work. We're coming along though.

As for the Six Nations, Wales benefited from the conditions last season. Fresh, dry and cold meant the pitches allowed free-flowing rugby. If it's wet, muddy and boggy and it comes down to a battle of the forwards, then England will come out on top. It's France for me though, their two centres are key to them and if they're ticking, they'll do it.

15. Harbourboy

Yay! The All Blacks complete the Grand Slam for only the second ever time in history!

16. Barmy Army

Media:
    Well done New Zealand, it was always on the cards though.

England beat Samoa 40-3 today. A good win, but pretty routine. We had almost a completely new back-line on show and it was a lot better than our usual side! They created some good tries between them, obviously Samoa aren't anywhere near as good as other teams we'll meet, it was good to see. The flare point though was when a Samoan player hit Mark Cueto with a horrific tackle; Cueto went into the Samoan guys face to have a go at him and the Samoan guy threw a punch at his face!! Lewis Moody then defended his team mate and grabbed the Samoan guy and hammered him with 5 or 6 punches. Then every ****er dived in and had a mass brawl. Rightly, Moody got sent off for punching and the Samoan kid got sent off for the tackle and the punch. Pretty mad

17. Harbourboy

You can't beat a good rumble every now and again. You don't want to encourage it, but you can't say it's not fun to watch.

18. Barmy Army

Media:
    Too right! Rugby would get boring else :D .
    I admit that rugby is one of few sports that amaze me. It is incredibly physical with lots of dirty tricks going on. I for one would lose my rag 2 or 3 times a match! But then I've been known to have a short fuse...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.