1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sarevok & Pals kickin' my ....

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by lokibeat, Dec 16, 2006.

1. lokibeat Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] My Wild Mage is finally meeting his evil alter ego and so far it's Sarevok & Pals 6, Charname et al, 0.

The last time I had eliminated all the henchmen and had Kivan, Coran & Immy wailing away while Sarevok closed in on Charname. I thought I had it in the bag since all I had to do was keep him chasing me while the crew pelted him with arrows. Yes and Jaheira had bit the dust by then. But then, and I think it was after a hit from Sarevok, my character wouldn't move. I kept clicking for him to move away, but he started the forward moondance, feet moving, but not getting away. I'm wondering if this was a result of a Wild Surge that I hadn't noticed or an effect from Sarevok's weapon (what is that by the way?)

Ok, after my 6th attempt, I've given up thinking I can do this with my current buffs/spells although I've figured out the melee approach.

I have to hightail it back to Sorcerers 'r Us to get a boatload of potions.

My question is which of the Magic resistance potions (there are three) are appropriate for the different party members. Should I just get magic resistance? Or magic blocking? One of the three is obviously not for casters since it disables your ability to cast spells.

I've figured out spell buffs (except for the DOHM) aren't worth it although it goes without saying you need the blur/mirror image.

Any other recommendations? My wife asked me this morning (after a late night session) why I was cursing arrows of detonation in my sleep.

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Get a Wand of Summoning and just use it again, and again and again. Keep a wall of fodder between you and the baddies, whilst you pepper with arrows. Sarevok will chew through those gnolls and hobgoblins, so it's got to be one summon after the other, literally, till the end of the fight. Pretty easy that way.

3. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Make sure you use either spell or potions of fire resistance for i think it's Angelo's exploding arrow's. Just use the summons like barmy said to keep Sarevok busy, and form a firing line. Take out the mage first then you wont have to worry aout magic resistance. Arrows of piercing help for the improved THACO.

4. lokibeat Gems: 1/31

I've got Yesli animating skeletons and Imoen and Charname each casting 2 monster summons each, but it's not enough. Of course, the arrows of detonation keep creaming my summoned monsters so I guess the wand is the way to go.

Does anyone know Sarevok's vitals? i.e. Why is he such a bad-@ss. Is he a pure fighter? Does his weapon do any secondary damage, i.e. stun. I'm just surprised he's such a formidable opponent. Of course once you get all the distractions out of the way, it seems pretty manageable, but that's a big pre-condition.

5. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Hit him with an arrow of dispelling first and he won't be anymore ;)

6. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

pretty much 90% resistance to everything (more for magic) and like 300hp. So you probably wont be able to do more than 3 damage per hit - that makes at least 100 hits, plus he has pretty good ac iirc. Don't even bother with casting spells on him (his Magic resistance is crazy). Also he's gonna kill any summon in one hit - so you're going to want to go quantity over quality. This is where the wand of monster summoning comes in - Just have you're mage using each and every round (he wont be able to damage Sarevok any other way).

7. lokibeat Gems: 1/31

Sarevok & Pals 7, Charname et al, 1.

Went back through the maze to get the wand. THe first time, I got a little too within reach and couldn't refresh the fodder quick enough. Once Angelo goes down the battle is quite easy. Semaj needs to figure out it's not a smart idea to dimension door within reach of every member of the party.

He did seem a lot weaker once I hit him with the dispel arrow. Those things are awesome.

It seems sneaky to win this way, but all's fair in Love, War and Baldur's Gate. It doesn't strike me you're ever going to be strong enough in this scene to just go toe-to-toe with Sarevok.

8. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Around 300hp? I think it's much less. I have killed him with a few good barrages of the good ol' Magic Missiles, not needing to do even near 300 points of damage.

9. Ironmancal2131

Ironmancal2131 Nice head, I think I'll take it

285 HP, although I could have sworn that it was much lower than that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.