1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Science Fiction

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Aikanaro, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I need some suggestions for a good sci-fi series. Any idea?

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Isaac Asimov's Foundation and Frank Herbert's Dune are the first that come to my mind.

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If you are interested in something that's funny (British style), then get The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Not "true" science fiction, but hilarious. And if you can find a recording of the original BBC radio series, it's even better. (The TV show sucked, though.)

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Lois McMaster Bujold's series around Miles Vorkosigan.

Greg Bear's Forge of God and Anvil of Stars.

David Brin's Uplift series; and Earth was really good too though only a single novel.

Anne McCaffrey's Pern series (though some argue it's Fantasy and not SF)

I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of right now...

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Let's see (not repeating the previous suggestions although cautioning you that Dune was great but the series fell off after the second book in a big way):

Larry Niven wrote an entire future history with some good hard science in it (if that's your cup of tea). I can't possibly list them all here, but you can always try Ringworld or the Mote in God's Eye as a starter.

Arthur C. Clarke, Childhood's End (It's not a series, but it is a great book)

Frederick Pohl, The Heechee series (Gateway, Beyond the Blue Event Horizon, Heechee Rendezvous, The Chronicles of the Heechee)

Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind, etc.)

Jack Chalker - The Well of Souls books - Midnight at the Well of Souls, Exiles at the Well of Souls, Quest for the Well of Souls, The Return of Nathan Brazil, Twilight at the Well of Souls. Chalker has written of ton of books, most good, but these are probably his best.

Phillip K. Dick - He's an original creepy SF author (wrote the book that they based Bladerunner on, same for Total Recall). The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (i.e., Bladerunner), Radio Free Albemuth.

F. Paul Wilson has written many books, some SF, some more like Fantasy, and some that are Horror stories. He's got a keen mind (he's a medical doctor and author) and his books can captivate you immediately. A lot of his stuff is out of print, but, if you can find it, I recommend Healer.

Piers Anthony wrote a couple of nice sci-fi books, but he has a penchant for going on too long in a series long after the idea has lost its oomph.

6. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

ya pier anthony's adept series is a mix of science and magic, its pretty good

7. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I want to mention too that Frank Herbert did not write only Dune he has written other books as well and equally good. A couple of them is the Godmakers (very nice book) and Starship Troopers (yeah the book that the movie came from, but with no comparison the movie sucked while the book was fantastic). Enjoy Aik :cool:

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What? Robert Heinlein wrote Starship Troopers.

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Yes, Robert A. Heinlein wrote Starship Troopers!

God Bless the Rodger Young!

10. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I happened to like Steven Donaldson's Gap Series a lot.

The first one is strange, the next four are excellent. In my opinion....

11. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Did he? Ok i haven't read for about 3 years so i most possibly am wrong. :doh:

12. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Don't like to repeat previous posts, but I feel Dune deserves the honour. :thumb:
    Personally I enjoyed the first three books.
    I also can suggest Dan Simmons' Hyperion series. Especially the first book is mind-blowing.

13. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

if you like military-like sci-fi then dreamland isnt bad(cant remember author) its a really good book.I would HIGHLY reccomend dean koontz watchers, the book is mind-blowing

14. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Well I think Foundation is a little bit too over-science-focused. The way that everything is atomic. And it pushes the idea of matematic "divining" of the future too far (imho).

I like the Dune more. I will never forget the insight in the Judas's motives God emeror of Dune gave me.

If you don't mind cyberpunk, then go for Neuromancer, Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive by Wiliam Gibson. His style is sometimes quite hard to comprehend (but I've read it in Czech, and the quality of the translations varies), but I like it a lot.

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Well, I'm after the Dune series so far.

Just a thought, I'm more into hard sci-fi than soft. Things with some basis int he real world are more interesting IMHO.
    Methinks I'll also go find Neuromancer, I've heard some good things about that.

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    If you're in to hard SF, then two of the authors I gave you fit the bill.

Here are a few hard SF authors I know:
    Greg Bear
    David Brin
    Poul Anderson
    Frederik Pohl
    Gregory Benford
    Kim Stanley Robinson
    Arthur C. Clarke
    Vernor Vinge
    Robert L. Forward
    Jack McDevitt
    Charles Sheffield
    Larry Niven

17. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

H.G. Wells - everything... Simply everything... :) Well, not just everything, but "the Invinsible Man", "The Island of Dr Moreau", "the War of the Worlds", "Time Machine", "the Food of the Gods"... These five are masterprise in the Science Fiction.

18. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

David Drake's "Hammers Slammers" is a sweet series of military SF. Some of the stories just give you the chills -- they're all based on his own experiences in Vietnam, but set in the future on an interplanetary scale.

19. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Well, H.G. Wells had found out nearly all topics of sci-fi, and it was only the end of 19th century. Hehe.
    Except computers, of course.

Edit: And androids, robots and so. (R.U.R. - a drama about robots by Karel Capek (Czech!), 1930s)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.