1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Soccer Rules Question (and, why are the Americans so bad? - dmc)

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I understand the difference between a tackle, and penalty, a yellow card and a red card. However, to me it seems like what is called is somewhat subjective. When does a hard tackle cross the line to being a foul, and when does a foul constitute a yellow card? Is it left completely to the referee's discretion? Is there a way to get a red card without first getting a yellow card? I need some help here.

[ June 14, 2006, 16:13: Message edited by: dmc ]

2. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

The obvious answer is when you hit the player and not the ball :p , but there are some cases where the tackle is foul even if you haven't touched the player,such as when you tackle with two legs.

It depends on many things like how much hard the foul has been, where in the field it has taken place, if the purpose of the defender was to make a foul and not take the ball etc.

No and yes. There are strict guidelines but in reality the referee bases his decision on many things ranging from if it is the second yellow card and therefore a red card to who is the player (famous players usually get away).

Yes, when the player is in a position where he can score and when the foul is extremely hard and done on purpose. Also, when you commit an act of violence, if you swear the referee and other similar things which don't belong to normal athletic behaviour.

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

A tackle from behind is always considered a foul, a tackle with both legs is always considered a foul, and a tackle with your leg straight forward is always considered a foul, anything else depends on the refs interpretation of the game at hand.

Immediate red cards are usually given when a player is about to break through, and is tackled from behind or stopped by pulling his shirt. Very hard fouls, like obvious tackles on ankles and kneecaps can also result in an immediate red card.

And stop calling it soccer already.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Thank you all. Very informative.

Pac man, the reason I call it soccer is we here in the states already have a game that is called football. I am completely aware that 90% of the western world refer to the game being played in the WC as "football". But to us uncultured Americans, since the term "football" was already in use to describe a completely different game, we went with soccer.

And the use of soccer in the U.S. is on all levels. The youth leagues are called soccer leagues. The youth league for American football and called peewee football leagues. Even at the pro-level, it's refered to as major league soccer, or now the more popular ISL (Indoor Soccer League).

5. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Here are some more information. Easy explained.
    Here are some more.

6. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Aldeth, the US performed on earlier WC's, before American Football even existed, so you guys were more than aware there already was a sport called football. Since when is American Football officially a sport ? the 1960's ? Well, football, or soccer as you call it, is from the late 1800's. Bit weird to adopt a name that's already taken by a completely different ballgame. Matter of fact, i even consider it a breach of copyright. :D

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Pac man - american football is significantly older than the 1960's. One place I looked at indicates that its rules were first codified in 1879 and derived from English Rugby rules. While soccer is older than that, here in the states American football has been around for a significant time and is so much more popular than soccer that you will have to forgive us our transgressions in essentially ignoring soccer as a popular sport for a century. ;)

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, as people have said, the general line where a tackle turns into a foul is when the tackling player never touches the ball and takes the player. You can dive in, slide in, jump in, do what you want so long as you win the ball first. Exceptions to this rule are showing your studs, jumping in two footed and sliding in from behind. Also, shirt-pulling is a foul, as is elbowing to the face or head and holding someone down when challenging for a header.

Cards are down the ref's discretion most of the time, although in this World Cup FIFA seem to have given refs instructions top give yellows straight away for things like lunging in, showing studs and shirt pulling.

There are some ways to get a straight red card, but you have to do something severe and deliberately against the rules (like chopping a guy down from behind when he's running in on goal and it's obvious you're not going to catch him). Otherwise known as a 'professional foul'.

And any Yank here who tries to tell me that football isn't getting more and more popular over there is deluding themselves as I know for a fact that it is ;) . It's just that the Americans don't like to entertain a sport they're **** at :lol: but it's definitely growing in popularity.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    It is getting more popular, but the rubbish performance the U.S. put up against the Czechs was embarassing. Unfortunately, most soccer fans in the U.S. are very casual fans and don't realize that the U.S. Team is capable of a much better performance. I can't make any excuses for yesterday - the U.S. was clearly outclassed and outplayed - but they are capable of better. Unfortunately, casual fans are most likely not going to get an opportunity to see that this year, as the only chance the U.S. has of advancing is beating Italy, which is practically part of soccer royalty. I don't see that happening. It's looking like the U.S. is going to go 1-2 in the first round, and that means no second round.

@Pac man - dmc is correct in stating that football started as a sport in 1879. However, it was not formalized into a professional league until 1902. At that time, while I'm sure there were many in the states that knew there was a game already called "football" - hell most immigrants came from Europe, so they certainly knew - no one played soccer in the U.S. at the time, so there was no confusion. Soccer didn't become even remotely popular in the U.S. until the 1970s, and it remains today a second tier sport. The pecking order is clear in the U.S. The Big Three, in order of popularity, are football (American), baseball, and basketball. Everything else is a step below. Hockey was challenging to overtake basketball for a while, but now they can't even get a decent TV contract, so good luck seeing the games. Similarly, sports like soccer and track and field have followings, but they are definitely considered second tier sports in the U.S.

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't think the US will get anything from Ghana either to be fair, they looked a much better team than the US. Their midfield is rock solid with Essien and Appiah (who are 2 of the better players I've seen in this tournament).

To be honest, the US were never going to get out of this group anyway, but they needed a better performance than that to try and boost interest.

11. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    Rugby is where it's at

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    You're probably right with that. Beating either the Czech Republic or Italy would have to be considered a major upset. And I can easily see them losing to Ghana as well, because that is their third match. If they lose to Italy - which they will in all likelihood - they'll have nothing to play for beyond pride when they go up against Ghana. So my prediction of a 1-2 finish is probably optimistic more than realistic.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You'd think that USA would still be able to cobble together a semi-decent team though. Regardless of soccer's relatively low interest level in that country, it is still a huge country with a soccer playing population that is larger than the entire population of some countries. You only need to find 20 good players and you'd think there would be a few thousand ex-South Americans floating around there who could make a good team.

Women's rugby is probably an extremely low interest sport in USA but they still have one of the top 2 teams in the world at that sport.

14. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The US team is decent enough, it is good they just had the bad luck of getting into a very very tough group.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I think joacqin hit the nail on the head. While the U.S. is not a top 10 team in the world, I think you could make a good arguement of putting them somewhere around #20. The thing is, Italy and the Czech Republic are most certainly top 10 teams - maybe even top 5. The loss on Monday still leaves me scratching my head a bit though. It's one thing to lose, it's another to lose 3-0. Not only that, but if it's even possible, I'd say that the U.S. looked worse than the 3-0 score indicated. They didn't even look like they belonged in the same league as the Czech Republic.

You would think. The size of the U.S. population is estimated to currently be about 296 million. So you're right - even if only 10% of the nation is interested in soccer, that still gives us nearly 30 million people - which is comparable to a country like the Czech Republic. It's still considerably smaller than countries like France or Germany.

To further your point about women's rugby being a low interest sport in the U.S., I would like to point out that while I knew the sport of women's rugby existed, I had no idea we had a team that competed internationally.

16. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

And yet, much much larger than the 9 Million that Sweden can muster, and the Swedish team is WAY better than the American.

17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I edited the title because it looked like the rules part had been dealt with, but that the thread had segued into something useful.

I think that an assumption that 10% of the US population is interested in soccer is a rather large overgeneralization. I'd be suprised if 5% of the population had any cognizable interest at all and I'd be shocked if more than 1% actually followed the sport to the same degree that the big three sports are followed. When you consider that it takes more than just following the sport to get good enough at it to perform on the world stage with any credibility, I see nothing unexpected with our level of suckiness.

As for things like women's rugby, my expectation is that no one country in the world has any great following of this sport and that, in such a situation, our population would bear on the subject, as we have more people who might express an interest in such a fringe sport.

18. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i don't think 10% is too much to ask.

1 - American kids everywhere do play football. Just that for some reasons, they gradually give it up when they go to college. At least that's the impression i've gotten from talking and seeing.

2 - i would say football is a significant part in sports for American women. The team women usa stars do go around to promote football among little girls when they are not playing that much.

3 - Freddy Adu. good player not born in u.s. but he is documented. And you say you come from los angeles? haven't you realize the influencial force of undocumented Americans?

19. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think raising top-level soccer/footballers, or top-level athletes in any very competative sport, requires *a lot* of infrastructure, the most important of which is cultural. You need a large pool of kids growing up idolizing footballers and playing playground ball obsessively. Then you need an infrastructure that recognizes talent at a young age and provides years of training.

Where I grew up, in (Am) football country, we played (Am) football all the time and followed our favorite teams closely. Though I played (soccer) football starting in 5th grade, I *never* watched games on TV, and *never* played a pick-up game with friends. In fact, I remember hanging out with my (soccer) football teammates, and we played a pick-up game of (Am) football!

I think this explains a lot about the US team: with the exception of a few immigrant players, the US players were fostered through a system that draws almost exclusively from the suburbs. In the US, the "soccer mom" is almost considered a political block: middle-class and upper middle-class mothers who drive their kids to soccer practice in a minivan. (Soccer) football is the sport overprotective moms encourage their sons (and daughters) to play, because it's considered far less aggressive and dangerous than (Am) football (and because all the running about wears out their hyperactive Ritalin-using ADD affected kids).

While this system might produce a few decent atheletes, it is *not* a way to produce 'brilliant' atheletes. The athletes aren't driven to perform by their entire culture, but rather by a small subset of their peers (and by their mom).

What I'm saying is that there needs to be a "dream" there to encourage kids from a very young age. In the US kids dream about basketball and (Am) football, whereas soccer is something their moms sign them up for to get them out of the house in the summer and fall...

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    To add to what Bion said, I think that the number of superior athletes any given country produces is proportional to the population. So it seems logical that America should produce far more world class athletes than a country like Sweeden for example. However, these world class athletes go on the play all different sports. What sport you go into is determined largely by culture, but also by how much money you can make. Soccer players make a pittance in the U.S. compared to athletes in basketball, baseball and football.

Also, it must be taken into account that a lot of the skills needed to be an exceptional soccer player (things like speed, coordination) are the same basic skill sets required in most other sports. It's all in how you hone those skills. Someone with excellent coordination and speed could probably become a baseball player as easily as he could a soccer player, but most of those people go into baseball, with the opportunity to make millions of dollars, rather than play soccer and lead an upper-middle class lifestyle. The same skills are also of use in things like basketball and football, but to a somewhat lesser extent, as size matters a lot in those sports as well. (There aren't too many basketball players under 6 feet tall, but there are a whole lot of baseball players who are of average height.)

And I don't think the salary demands can be understated. Minimum salaries in the major U.S. sports are around $300,000 annually. Those are for backups and benchwarmers who don't get into the game that often. There's only a handful of U.S. soccer players that make that much, and those are the stars. When deciding on a sport, the top level athletes no doubt take this into consideration. Play a sport where the salary tops out at a few hundred thousand annually, or play a sport that tops out at several million annually - not a tough decision.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.