1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo in BGI

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by krunchyfrogg, Jul 12, 2005.

1. krunchyfrogg Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

I've recently completed the entire series with one character and a party, and now I've decided to give it a go with a solo character, starting in Baldur's Gate I.

I realize this will probably be tough, but hey, that's a huge part of the fun of it.

Now, my first instinct is to go with versatility, a FMT. Problem there is the one weapon slot, and I want at least two (is there a way to fix that?).

So, I've decided on a Bard, to switch to a Blade in Baldur's Gate 2. I read the threads about Blades in the ToB forum, and the one about wands in the BG1 forum, and I think this could be a lot of fun. My question is this: What do you think is the best way to outfit a BG1 bard? Since I don't get weapon styles like in BG2, we really don't need to worry too much there. Also, is there any armor in this game that a Bard can wear and still cast spells in?

TIA

[ July 12, 2005, 08:02: Message edited by: krunchyfrogg ]

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

If you can kill Drizzt, his Chain Mail +4 will let you still cast spells, but otherwise, you'll have to stick with Bracers of Defense.

3. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Actually, I tested out that Drizzt armor earlier, and it won't let you cast spells. :(

4. Felinoid

:doh: Nevermind, I was thinking of the Melodic Chain in BG2. Drizzt's Chain Mail lets you use theiving abilities, so you can equip it on a ranger or thief and still be able to use stealth and the rest. If you want your bard to cast spells in BG1, you'll have to stick with bracers. :(

5. Arianyr Gems: 4/31

if you're gonna solo, why pick a bard? bards can detect/disarm traps and the biggest plus, their song, won't be of any use to you. you'd be better off with a fighter/mage/thief, right?

6. Felinoid

Yes, but the F/M/T advances somewhat slowly, due to having to split the experience three ways. A bard can hit high levels very quickly.

7. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    FMT is way too easy and it takes ages to level up (besides you never get to the higher levels if you don't have the XP cap removed). Bard is more challenging and you have to make the most of your equipment to get through the hardest fights.
    (If you have BGtutu installed and use kits bards become even better).

A long bow and the crossbow of speed are going to be your best friends provided you have the right arrows and bolts (even darts can help, especially darts of wounding with spellcasters... what is going to be tricky is when you'll have to face large fighters with low AC and plenty of damage: e.g. Taugosz in the bandits camp; and of course the final fight is going to be pretty tricky).

8. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I think BG TUTU gives the same number of quickslots as BG2, as well as implementing weapon styles and the differant proficencies.

9. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Looks like tutu is the way to go. I would never play a t/m of f/t/m in BGI because of only one weapon slot. That's terrible!

10. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    With BGtutu the bard gets even better: kits!
    A solo blade in BG1 is way too powerful... and a Jester (or a Skald) will make life much easier for any party.

11. krunchyfrogg Gems: 4/31

Veteran

Arianyr:
    Two reasons:

1)I think it might just be more fun, and it'll definitely be more of a challenge.
    2)I hate the fact that a FMT gets only one weapon slot. I'd need at least two, like in BG2. I don't like the fact that I can't get to my inventory screen without the baddies getting a few knocks in on me first.

Felinoid:
    That's just a minor bonus. I've noticed, when you're going solo, you advance really fast anyway.

I'm doing a lot of sidequests, but I haven't even entered the Nashkell Mines and I am already about halfway to the TotSC XP cap. I don't think I'll even attempt Durlag's Tower since I can't handle traps at all. For roleplaying purposes, I think I'll go in, hear about all the traps, and turn my singing butt around!

12. Felinoid

Yeah, going solo you get around 1,100,000 XP. That's enough for a 15th level bard, or a 9/10/11 level F/M/T. Of course, that's without the cap.

And you can do the upper levels of Durlag's Tower without worrying about traps too much. Just don't explore the dungeons.

13. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

And watch out for basilisk, if you're going to explore upper Durlags!

14. Arianyr Gems: 4/31

" I would never play a t/m of f/t/m in BGI because of only one weapon slot. That's terrible!"

eh....ist a f/m/t supposed to be able to put 2 slots in 1 weapon?

15. Felinoid

He's talking about the 'quick weapon' slots (you can only equip one weapon at a time). Find traps, thieving, stealth, and cast spell take up the other buttons, leaving room for only one quick weapon slot.

16. Arianyr Gems: 4/31

oh, THAT....that never bothered me so much; i just switched em with the inventory

17. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Fellinoid

The cape for TotSC is 161000. This is enough to get to level 10 bard...

For traps in BG, you can just take off your armor, cast mirror image and walk over them. Solo bard gets really boring, all you have to do is summon some monsters with the wand and everyone's a bitch. I rarely used the wand of stunning...

18. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I always thought a good combo for soloing would be a dwarven fighter/thief. Hurry as fast as you can to get the book of +1 Constitution so you can regenerate most of your damage, and get to like backstabbing.

19. Felinoid

I never really thought of using a dwarven thief variant (T, F/T, M/T, C/T, F/M/T) because dwarves can only get 17 DEX and 16 CHA. If I'm going to do a thief variant, I usually go for elf or halfling because of the 19 DEX that they can get, not to mention the racial stealth bonuses (which dwarves don't get).

20. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

No, but Dwarves do get sizable trap/lock bonuses. Funnily enough, I started a solo Dwarf F/T just before going on holiday. Didn't get very far (FAI, IIRC), but he is quite capable. The -1 DEX is plenty compensated for by the uber-lockpicking skills, IMHO.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.