1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo Jester

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by ObLiViOn, Nov 26, 2000.

1. ObLiViOn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] After reading some topics at BG2 Dungeon, someone has gone solo with a Jester (bard kit). I first thought that was insane, but now that i think of it, it wouldnt be too bad. Jesters can sing songs that confuse the enemy, cast mage spells *i think*, have theif skills and be able to dual wield. id say thats pretty sweet. If ur going to go solo, what would be a good class/kit?

2. ObLiViOn Gems: 2/31

forgot to add, correct me if im wrong because i've never played a bard b4.

3. ObLiViOn Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] I was thinking of an assasin, but i didnt think they would do well since they dont have mage spells, although i could dual....

4. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I couldn't imaging going solo with any class. Yeah, it would work to your anvantage early on, but later in the game I would think you would get your but handed to you on a silver plater by a party of higher ups. But if I had to pick, a monk, a fighter dual mage of some sort, or a fighter dual priest of lathander or totemic druid. Those seem more well rounded and powerfull than any others I could think of.

5. Sol'torg Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I have a friend that has beaten the game twice now with a sorcerer. BY HIMSELF! Now, that is the definition of a hard-fought game. He relied on the great spells throughout the whole game, and when an opponent w/ magic resistance came along he hit it with lower res. He, said it was fairly hard, but I can see the fun in it.

6. ObLiViOn Gems: 2/31

I wouldnt think that a sorcerer or a fighter would do good by himself just because they suck at the opposite of their class. example sorcerer, they cant fight worth sh*t. vice versa for the fighter. U would need to be dualed or a multi class character. I was just thinking of an assasin just cause that class sounds very interesting. BG1 had lots of thieves and they very important.

7. SoulFly Gems: 2/31

You don't need to melee with a sorc, I could probably solo with mine easy. Just run around with boots of speed/staff of the magi and you're a quick invisible guy. If you've already played through the game you know where most of the traps are, so you can just cast a summoning spell and let the summons walk into the traps.

Sorc's can cast all the spells they have like 5-6 times, theres no need to melee with 5 delayed fireballs, or the ability to cast conj. air elemental, or mordenkains sword that much.

8. ObLiViOn Gems: 2/31

Come on guys, more posts. What is the best solo character? Is an Assasin good for solo? Dont tell me Kensai/Mage, thats too obvious. What else plz.

9. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

the assasin sucks as a single class. dual him to a fighter and you'll be kicking ass with his poisoned weapons. Cleric rangers are very good too.

10. ObLiViOn Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] SING THE BUM SONG EVERYONE!

11. Wraith Blackthorne Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The problem with any thief class is the low hit dice. You will always have to fear the one big spell and our done situations.

If thieves had the hit dice of fighters, why would anyone be a fighter? It's called Balance. Every class should have pluses and minuses or I am afraid the game would not be very much fun.

12. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Sorcerers would be easy to use solo, but not an easy game (if you get me)

You can make him a good fighter if you have some decent tactics, bootsa of speed and a decent bow (i beat sarevock in BG with a ranger on his own, just fired a few arrows, ran back a few staps, fired a few more ect.) the one part i cant get my head around would be fights like the dragons, you would need a load of summoned monsters for that.

13. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Sorcerers can use bows?
    Oh crap.

14. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I thought about this today. Without the exp cap, I think a fighter/mage/thief would be great. But that's cheap and easy. So I thought about a properly made thief D mage. He could take care of the traps/locks that a fighter coudln't, cast spells, and melee pretty decently when he needed to because he would have all the best equioment in the game. He would low HP, sure, (there are items/ways to increase Hp without cheating)and would be lacking in other melee areas, but it would be a good all around character. I wouldn't think you could make it through the game solo with out some sort of spell caster, but a thief dual cleric is a nice thought if done well.

15. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Yes, as I've said in previous posts and as Sol'Torg mentioned, I have gone through the game twice with a solo sorcerer. (almost done with 3rd.) I removed the XP cap after I beat it and immediately gained 3 levels. (It keeps the XP you gained but just won't let you get passed the cap.) It's really not that hard as long as you choose almost all combat spells. My sorcerer is now level 27 and casting simulacrem is well worth it. There is only one thing I really don't like about the sorcerer later on levels that I like about a mage class, you don't get any more spells per day. You do get to learn more spells which is alright since the sorcerer knows so few, but the mage gets to be able to actually cast more spells per day than the sorcerer after a while. The only bad side still is that a mage still has to prepare spells which isn't THAT bad, but it's nice not to have to.

16. ikzelion Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

This is my first time trying solo and looking at all the possibilities, I thought that a cleric/thief multiclass half orc would be best for my style.

The cool thing about the half orc is that he can get a 19 Strength even without being a fighter and he also can get an 18 Wisdom which the only other possible cleric/thief race, the gnome, can’t get. That’s a little weird though that a half orc can be wiser than a gnome, but I’ll take it. Guess some of the human blood runs strong. Also, with my seriously low Charisma, it’s not surprising to rationalize a cause for my going solo. Nobody else can stand me. I’m also an albino half orc with bright orange hair which throws makes more than a few people just a bit out of sorts. Oh well, us children of Bhaal are a strange lot.

Healing and the traps are no problem and pick pockets is cool to get the good stuff from the merchants.

They can back stab with the staff spear though I haven’t gotten it yet. I cleared the beginning parts by summoning a lot of skeletons to help out. Later on in Throne of Bhaal, once the thief gets use any item, it will be cool because even the cleric can use edged weapons.

17. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Solo sorcerer???
    Wow what an acheivment that must be!(not)
    I have been solo fighter, Druid and theif.
    Jester would be no problem.
    In fact i might do it now just for a spot of light easy entertainment.

18. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The "toughest" solo that I have heard of was with a straight druid. The most common soloes I have heared about were with sorcerors. The least challenging were with kensai/mages.

In each case, the challenge is to find and play to the strengths of the character's class while minimizing its disadvantages. For instance, a mage is played differently than a sorceror due to requiring more sleep and specirfically memorizing the next day's spells. Thief's on the other hand, must take advantage of their particular strengths - using stealth, backstabbing and guile to overcome enemies that any competent mage mght take out with a fireball.

Lastly, roleplaying the dialogues appropriately to both class and alignment can definitely affect the difficulty of the game, the encounters the character (not the player) knows about, and the tenor of the game (wehther it is a mere series of hack and slash encounters or a tactical odyssey).

Despite the confines of the general storyline, there is great opportunity to explore the strengths and weaknesses of the PC as well as amaze yourself with the depth and breadth of programming BG2 has.

So, pick whatever class you like or want to explore....Try role playing it carefully rather than merely going from battle to battle...Follow the nuances of the dialogs and the quests and subquests....

You'll find whatever you are looking for here if you look hard enough -- I think.

19. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The hardest thing about soloing a sorcerer is this: levels 8-11. The rest is a walk in the park. Especially with that...other thing I'm not supposed to mention in here.

20. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

[​IMG] I always thought that a fighter/thief was a well balanced character for soloing with. Although he doesn't have spells which can be a pain at times, he can fight well, use any armour/weapons that you want, and has the theif skills. Although in places you might not be able to use them due to the armour you feel that you have to wear to survive it would be fun.
    After that i think i'd say a fighter mage, but i haven't solo'd through theb game as one to date, they are pretty useful.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.