1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo Kensai

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Tanthalasa, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Tanthalasa Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Hey I'm trying to solo as a kensai and I just got out of Irenicus' Dungeon and I have 2 problems.

1. My AC is crap and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how to help with this early in the game and keep in mind that i'm only level 8.
    2. I also need help with my magic resistance. Are there any items I can get now (early) to help with this?
    And I plan on dueling her to a thief. What level should I do this? And if I have the Xcap limit off does this affect the level that I should duel to? Thanks!

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Dual at 9 (for the extra weapon proficiency) or 13 (for the extra 1/2 attack per round). Experience cap is relatively irrelevant for what is essentially going to be a single class thief. If you intend to get TOB, you'll want to do things differently.

Early on, there are not too many things to help you out in the areas you are addressing. Realistically, you'd be better off with a multi-class fighter thief, but that's your choice. I don't remember if Kensais can wear bracers (they are far from my favorite class). If so, your first purchase ought to be the bracers of AC 3 at Ribald's.

Forget about magic resistance. You're never going to get all that high with the character you've chosen. If you want MR, maybe try a solo monk. More challenging at the beginning, but a piece of cake from about halfway through to the end.

3. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Bracers are not allowed. Nor helms. AC is painful now, but later it wont be a problem. Try to solve that kind of quests, which is easy. Arnie's Keep for example.

You can use potions for defend, magic blocking, oil of speed, you will need them. And for attack explosion, and burning oil or something...

AC: if you will a thief, your DEX is 18 so basic is 6. -2 with the single weapon style, -2 for kensai, -1 ring of protection. So at this moment this is 1. Go to the servers and in the middle you can get a cloak -1 again. At the graveyard there is also a stone instead of helmets, grants you -1 AC again. You can get -1 AC at the begining of the game...bad, but not too bad.

If i were you i would dual at 13. That extra 1/2 attack is realy worth. Before you would dual to thief, complete some quests, but don't harvest the experience points. With the thief you can at last, and the first 7 level is just a gift this way. Also open as much chests as you can. Otherwise at that level it would be rather hard to live...

4. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

i suggest to install the item-upgrade mod if you want to solo with a kensai

5. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31

There's the Shield Amulet in the de'Arnise Keep, it has 42 uses IIRC (base AC set to 4, +2 AC bonus vs. missile attacks, duration 5 turns). It's nice to have for tougher fights.

And Valor has pretty much covered the rest of it...

6. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I don't think a Kensai can use Ioun Stones without a mod...

7. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31

he can i assure.

8. xnnixq Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Yes, later on your kensai will be having a better armor class.A solo-play with a kensai is pain when you start but later on he will be one of the best fighters in the game. I would say that ioun stones are the key for AC ( quite sure that kensai can use them) and cloacks for magic protection. sure it will be hard, but the game will offer you much more if you play it hard ;) . Anyway, if the battles get too hard, you can always lower the battles difficulty from the options menu.

9. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Theres a sword that you get from a wizard in the Umar hills that casts Mirror Immage once per day.

apart from that, you should be able to buy some pretty nice items as you do not have to spit up the gold between NPC's.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.