1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo problems

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Alienboy, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Alienboy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

After soloing for the first time I have an awesome F/M/T but...

1)I get killed by maze, charm, dire charm
    2)baggage problems...
    anyone got any ideas?

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

For Baggage problem, get the fighter stronghold (Nalia's Quest) you can store anything you want there (But only AFTER you got the keep, not during the quest)

Throw all scrolls into a scrollcase.

As for the spells, get saving throws boosting items, magic resistance etc. Or backstab the spellcasters first. :idea:

3. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Not many enemies use maze, so when you come up against it it's generally a known. Use spell immunity.

Baggage. Only take what you need, and use containers to stash loot.Once you've got the bag of holding it will help a LOT. Still, be selective.

4. happy1 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I too have just started a solo with f/m/t. Awesome aren't they. So different from controlling a party.

I too have the problem with charm, confusion etc. I am going to try that helm that I got from the Harpers 'eye' rather than Baldur's helm. I think that the improvement with saving throws will make a difference too.

I have a scroll case and gem bag. Playing everything by the book except I cheated and gave myself a bag of holding via the cheat code. I know that I shouldn't have done but only one pair of hands ...

Just love :invis(hide in shadows) - backstab - fighter bonuses (max dam so far 96 but have just leveled to x5 and bought the girdle of strength - so will see). also killed the shadow dragon after one reload using magics etc.

I store lots of things I want later in a chest. I don't think that they will go missing.

[This message has been edited by happy1 (edited January 30, 2002).]

5. Lord Sarevok Guest

Keep all gems in a gem bag and all scrolls in a scroll case. I didn't have any problems with my Assassin/Mage, just remember to only pick up things with a +2 or greater enchantment. The others don't sell for enough, and you'll be drowning in cash soon enough anyway. Once you get the bag of holding all of your problems are solved :).

Get some wisdom potions, unless your wisdom is already 18 or greater. Having 18 wisdom gives a +4 bonus to all saves which will allow you to negate these effects. Also try casting Protection from Evil on yourself, which gives a further +2 bonus to saves. I would recommend Chaotic Commands, but as you are soloing there is no priest around to cast it. As for Imprisonment, the mage has to phyically touch you to complete it, so keep a distance and use any ranged weapon you have or spells. Oh, and another option would be to just backstab with bastard! No more imprisonment ! :)

Also stock up on items that give magic resistance.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited January 30, 2002).]

6. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I thought that in one of the previous threads we came to the conclusion wisdom doesn't help for saving throws

vs charm get helm of charm protection or adjatha the drinker

[This message has been edited by StressedE (edited January 30, 2002).]

7. Lord Sarevok Guest

WHAT?! Says in BOTH BG manuals that a higher wisdom gives a bonus to saving throws!

8. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I believe it's not implemented in the game, although mentioned in the manuals.

9. Mages who cast Maze could also cast Breach to remove the Spell Immunity, then Maze you. If that happens, you can use Spell Shield, which should prevent the Breach.

You can Minor Spell Turning/Deflection to reverse or negate the Charm Spells. Spell Immunity - Enchantment will also prevent Charm spells, but a piece of equipment that prevents them also works.

For baggage problems, a Bag of Holding is the solution, or just place extra items in an easy-to-access bookshelf, table, etc.

[This message has been edited by creudzfeldt-jakob (edited January 30, 2002).]

10. Alienboy Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Thanks for the help he already has 3million experince(cap remover). I have used the stronghold idea but I still am having trouble with all kinds of instant kills.;)

11. If you mean instant kills via magic, then a Spell Immunity - Necromancy should work, unless it's Disintegrate, then Spell Immunity - Evocation ought to do. But then again, with 3 million experience, shouldn't those spells have little to no effect?

12. happy1 Gems: 3/31

Keep your hit points above 90.

That got me a dozen times today in the guarded compund. Power word stun, 88hp, 4 rounds stunned, they all gang up => death

13. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

There's always the shield of harmony to solve some of those problems...

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I had some sucess in avoiding to be stunned by protecting my fighters properly. IMO the key to survival is to have good saving throws:
    Equip your f/m/t with a robe of the archagi (+1 on all saving throws), helm of Balduran +1 on saving throws), ring or cloak of protection +1 or 2, IMO - though this is not proved yet - high wis (potion), potion of invulnerability (+5 on saving throws). Should help.

15. Viking Gems: 19/31

Anything for a solo spellcaster against those confusion & stun spells?

Playing an elf to get charm out of the way, but even so, pain in the but. Sorcerer - I haven't picked spell immunity yet. Had more pressing picks to be made.

16. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I know armour and weapons vs confusion, but for spellcasters?

17. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    He's a F/M/T, so he can use the equalizer, Adjatha, the shield of harmony and the helm of charm protection ... iirc ;)

18. Viking Gems: 19/31

True Ragusa, but that doesn't solve my sorcerer's problem....

19. Deathmaster Gems: 7/31

Like you, i am playing as a F/M/T right now.
    Levels 13/13/16 i think.
    I have got my saving throws are right down to -8, i think thats good, and my AC is about -8
    Also completed every quest in Athkatla, just about to go outside the city.

Equipment

Knaves robe
    Bracers AC3
    Helm of balduran
    Amulet of power
    clock of sewers
    boots of speed
    girdle of bluntness
    ring of gaxx
    ring of protection +2
    Staff of Magi

Hardest fight, kangaxx( keeps casting imprisonment on me, untill i casted protection from magic, he was easy then.

20. happy1 Gems: 3/31

I just did Kangaxx and it was disapointingly easy. I killed the normal lich after being confused and running around for 5 minutes. Kangaxx appeared - scroll of undead protect whilst he was rising. Attacked with +3 sword - ineffective (no surprise). left hand no proficiency with +2 mace of dispruption does 2 damage and lich dies (missed his saving throw). 55000 xp thank you and one wasted scroll.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.