1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo Swashbuckler/Mage

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Faragon, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

[​IMG] Okay, in between finishing IWD2, and waiting for a new computer for NwN, I thought I'd grab back on BG2. I was thinking of soloing a Swashbuckler/Mage through SoA and ToB this time.

Swashbucklers get class bonusses every five levels. I thought of getting the thief class up to level 10 and then dualing. I guess level 15 is a bit high up, for then to go on with Mage.

What's the ToB experience cap again? Level 40?
    Stats: (I will roll untill I have at least 30 :D )
    STR 18
    DEX 18
    CON 18
    INT 18
    WIS 10
    CHA 8

As for thieving abilities, I'm thinking detect traps and pickpocketing, because I can get Invisibility and Knock to replace Hide and Picklocks.

Proficiency in dualwielding and scimitars.

Any tips, hints or nits? (And please, no "you can pickpocket Kangaxx for a 2nd ring of Gaxx". I'm looking at you in specific Master of Nuhn ;) )

[ February 24, 2003, 08:47: Message edited by: Faragon ]

2. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Profiency in Scimitars?
    The only good scimitar in early game is Belm in late game is Spectral Brand.
    AFAIK Swashbuckler can't give profiency to Bastard Swords :( so i suggest using long swords or katanas.And i thought you can't dual a Swashbuckler for a mage but...

3. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

In fact you can dual a Swahie to a Mage, but that's a really boring discussion mentioned in hundreds of other threads. BTW Faragon you should go with longsword/katanas since you will want a +3 weapon before you'll leave to the Underdark. You should also try to get some points in shortbow, even if it doesn't make any sense with dualwielding, you will not regret. Elven chainmail for armor as soon as you get some, you might even use Bracer OAC 3, or the Robe of Vecna. You should get the Amulet of Power from Aran Linvail to counter level-drain and to be constantly vocalised. Boots of Speed are nescessary and ONE Ring of Gaxx plus perhaps a Ring of Wizardry... That will be a little, you should find out the rest by yourself...

4. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I wouldn't put much points in picpocketing, the few situations it would come in handy you've got plenty of time to use potions of master thievery to boost that stat. You could put points in setting traps, but seeing as you will dualclass, you won't be able to set many traps making it a moot point. Detect illusion is an overlooked skill by many, but I've found it to be very handy to use while your invisible and don't want to give away your presence by spellcasting. You're correct about the absence of hiding skills, since the swashbuckler cannot backstab, but hiding sometimes is essential, especially in solo games.

My personal favorite weapons in solo games have to be celestial fury and of course the staff of the magi, both of them with some of the most usefull extra's in the game. Another 'must-have' in a solo game I would suggest the cloak of non-detection. It prevents your invicibility from being dispelled by True Seeing and other divination spells. I've never played a solo game without it (having played with either dualled mages or part thieves), it was a life saver!

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

As for Scimitars, there's a nice +4 one in the first level of Watcher's Keep iirc. I plan on getting that with Belm.

I know what items to get, that's not the point. I've been through with a solo F/M/T before, so...
    My Wishlist so far:
    - Scimitar from WK lvl1
    - Belm
    - Robe of Vecna
    - Aran Linvail's Amulet
    - Boots of Speed
    - Ring of Gaxx
    - STR boosting Belt.
    The rest I'll see as I go through.

Now that I think of it, hide would indeed be more usefull than pickpocket.

6. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

That scimitar is Spectral Brand +4 and with Skull of the Lich in Sendai's Enclave you can upgrade it to +5.
    Yep these two scimitars make profiency in scimitars worthwhile.Oh and there's Yamato +4 in Saradush,adds 1 to AC.

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    For the stats, why are you putting so much in Charisma, Constitution and Strength? You're making a non-fighter character, you're obviously powergaming, you've played the game before (so you know that Charisma is meaningless after the circus), and you intend to use your belt slot for a strength bolstering items (I'd use it for the Belt of Intertial Barrier myself with this character). If you're going to roll until 90 points, why not go with:

S - 17
    I - 18
    W - 18
    D - 18
    Co - 16
    Ch - 3

If you don't mind waiting until 91 points, you can have your 18 Strength. Better wisdom means you can, if you desire, make full use of the Wish Spell (and Limited Wish Spell), as well as a bonus for Lore, which doesn't hurt.

The Constitution doesn't need to be over 16 because you have no fighter class to get you better than +2 HP (you could always use that belt you find in the "sightless" quest to jack up your constitution at the beginning of the day if you really want the 18 constitution anyway).

For thief skills, I'd ignore the stealth and pickpocket ones completely as you can get enough potions of invisibility and master thievery to last 10 times through the game. I'd focus on the traps first, then the locks (who wants to really waste space on knock as a spell?), then detect invisibility, then setting traps.

For proficiencies, I like scimitar (especially if you have the item upgrade mod - there's a pretty nifty one in there as I recall), katana, and long sword, in that order. Once you dual to mage, you'll pick up the staff, dagger, and dart/sling anyway. If you wait until level 15 to switch, you'll have a better fighting/thieving character, but you'll have to weigh that against how long it will take to amass the experience to cover the extra five thief levels (I think they're about 220k per level, so you're looking at a differential of about 1.1 million exp points). Of course, if you don't mind cheese, save up all of those scrolls and scribe and erase your way into serious experience points (you can probably be a level 10 mage just on the scrolls themselves).

Anyway, there's my two cents.

8. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I am indeed powergaming. However I dislike powergaming to the point where my character is the most disgusting snivelling worm alive. I don't plan on using the ring. As for WIS for lore, I've got Identify for the important stuff, the random rubble I'll identify when I've got nothing better to ID. ;)

I forgot about the Constitution for Nonfighterclasses. Indeed, 16 is all I'll need. Thanks for the nit.

I'm not going to lvl15 with the thief, I don't think the bonus is worth the effort of another 5 levels. (Which is also another 5 levels which I'll have to get around with the mage class.) 10 will do fine for my purposes.

And I'm playing vanilla ToB, so no Item Upgrade Mod for me.

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    OK. No ridiculous extremes for the powergamer (right). I'd still switch Strength and Wisdom, though. You already said you're going to wear a belt for strength. Given that you can get the Hill Giant one in the very early parts of the game, why not sacrifice a little strength (you can get through on 10 Strength for the initial parts of the game) at the very beginning for an 18 in Wisdom?

Alternatively, you can take a thief through BGI and get the tomes to increase all stats by 1 (and Wisdom by 3), import the thief and make him a swashbuckler, and then later dual him.

If you really want to powergame with that scenario, your BGI thief starts like this:

S - 18
    I - 18
    W - 15
    D - 18
    Co - 15
    Ch - 7

That's 91 points. I've actually rolled as many as 97 in BGI, but 91 should be doable.

This character then goes into BGII as:

S - 19
    I - 19
    W - 18
    D - 19
    Co - 16
    Ch - 8

You can then use protective belts, you're not a misfigured tongue-tied social misfit, you've got your big wisdom, and everyone's happy. In the beginning of BGI, if you're willing to roll for longer, every extra point boosts your Charisma.

10. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Quote: OK. No ridiculous extremes for the powergamer (right).

Well, I'm powergaming, and yet I'm not. I take a powerfull classcombination, and bring up my stats accordingly. But I want to do it within a roleplaying picture. That means that if I'm going to get 8 levels of swashbuckler, I'd better have some STR to actually have gotten there in the first place.

I could forsake STR for WIS, but I really don't want to. Because, aside from previously mentioned reasons, that would tie me to one of the STR boosting belts, and I prefer keeping my options open.

I wanted to play through BG2 again, not BG1, so I'm definetely not going to do that. :p

I've got Identify to help me out on Lore, so I really don't feel like I need to boost WIS.

Quote: You can then use protective belts, you're not a misfigured tongue-tied social misfit, you've got your big wisdom, and everyone's happy.

I'm the only one that matters in this case. As long as I'm happy, it's good enough :grin: (I'm making him some kind of Chaotic alignment ;) )

11. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

This is getting kinda :yot: Now it's about (non)powergaming or not. Why don't we get back to the subject? :)

12. Pyro Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I don't get it, why be swashbuckler when you can be an assassin? Guess what happens if you use misslead and backstab :) Assassin/Mage is far more powerfull than swashbuckler/mage.

13. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Because Swashbucklers are way cooler :p

Seriously? I want to be able to dualwield scimitars to a good effect. And I don't care for backstabbing, or how powerfull it is. I want a fighterish rogue, with excellent magical abilities to kick a reasonable amount of @ss. I wanna roleplay that, and not an assasin.

14. Riverwind Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ninja-To. It's Usuno's Blade which you get from the 1st Level of Watcher's Keep, not the Spectral Brand (which you don't get until level 3 of WK). And it's a ninja-to, and that's why druids can't use it. It is indeed +4 with a chance of additional electrical damage, and that's nice to have especially early on in SoA. Although I would have Usuno's Blade handy especially when a +4 weapon is required to overwhelm a "Mantle," I think that nothing can beat the Belm +2 scimatar in the left and the Celestial Fury katana in the right for most of SoA.

[ March 02, 2003, 20:29: Message edited by: Riverwind ]

15. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

psst Riverwind, now that Tal has put stickies up at the top of every forum, as well as a welcome PM, there's really no excuse not to have read the rules. Sigs are not allowed.

Usuno's Blade, that's it. Thanks for the nit.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.