1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo with a fighter

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Padine the Paladin, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Hey everyone.Ok heres the catch.I'm tyred of my paladin so I want you to tell me what fighter or mage class i should take for a solo.(include stats,weapons,race and alighment.No evil guys)

2. TheBlackRose Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

CN gnomish wizard slayer.

Profs in three of the five: short swords, short bows, scimitars, katanas, flails.

[This message has been edited by TheBlackRose (edited June 02, 2002).]

3. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Swashbuckler, they rule

4. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Wow, you superduper can't be killed paladin got boring? what a surprise :)

Okay, my advice:

Halfelven Fighter/Mage
    Str: 18/something
    Dex: 18
    Con: 18
    Int: Maximize it for Ilithid.
    Wis: Pump the rest in this.
    Cha: Keep it low, you don't really need it

Proficiencies in Dualwield and scimitars. Get Usuno's Blade +4 early on in Watcher's Keep, and get Belm+2 as fast as possible. They will get you through the larger of SoA. As you advance, begin pushing some proficiency in Bastard Swords, and get Foebane and the like. (Bastard swords get really powerfull at the end of ToB)

I'd say don't go F/M/T, because the thief abilities are not necessary, since you can knock pretty much anything.

5. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Mr. Paddy asking for advice? That's new. Here it comes:

Half-Orc Barbarian.

True solo - no NPC admitted in the party at any time. Even Jaheira and Minsc in the beginning.

Alignment - Neutral Evil.
    Proficiencies in order of appearance - *** Two-Weapon, ** Long Sword, ** Flail, ** Scimitar, ** Axe. No other weapons allowed.

Must take all evil paths in Hell.

No scrolls of Protection from Magic, or Protection from Undead, or Restoration.

6. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Modjahead!
    You can't expect him to do that! (hmm i might have a go though), it would be a bit similar to good old Retsimnle wouldnt it?

Heh, finally some sense has been whacked into Paddy, hmm.
    I'd say go with a Swashbuckler/Mage. He's practically a Fighter/Thief, only problem would be the THAC0.
    Maybe a Blade..very very good IMO.
    Or try the ultimate Figher's Dream...the Monk! Read Earl Gray's port on how to take a monk Solo through SoA- without any magic. :D

Try and see. Keep away from them Kensai though :nono:

7. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] If you want the powergamers dream then just take your kensai and dual to a mage and equip items such as robe of vecna. Also kensai/thief very powerful backstabber. However i warn you away from the mage because you are tooo powerful and "with great power comes great responsibilty", or rather too powerful character = boredom as there is no challenge in the game.
    Hmm just a suggestion why don't you try and inquisitor, maybe your views on them will change?

8. Errol Gems: 23/31

Indeed as Lazy Bonzo said.
    After havin' a go with the old Totemic Druid... he isnt *that* bad afterall!

9. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Well once I've finished SoA with my current game, I'm reinstalling ToB and planning on going it solo with 1/2 orc or dwarven cleric/thief...if you want to test run it and post back how well it worked, I'd be glad to hear about it.

10. I dont know about soloing a fighter, but if you are going to do that, I would suggest the WizardSlayer kit, as there are loads of Spell using monsters and mages and such out on and below the lands.

But....
    If it is not merely a straight fighter you are planning, i would advise begin the solo with a human fighter, and when he reaches a certain level, oh say anywhere between 13 - 16th lvl, dual him to a theif. Remember for the dual to theif to work you must have 17 in dex and atleast 15 in Str. Though you should for soloing, have 18 in Str, Dex, and Con.

I am doing just that, I started with a fighter, and when came to lvl 13 I dualed him to theif, he had 135 hitpoints as a lvl 1 theif, not to bad(helps keep him alive!).
    For abit of variation, you could start with a Kensai, and dual him to theif at 13 - 16 lvl but that is abit over powered, and does get old after awhile.

You can also go with the same as above, except with a mage, the traps and such are very annoying, but high hitpoints come in handy here. Locks arent so much a problem, except your lvl two spell slots are going to be devoted to the spell "Knock", and that can be somewhat annoying.

Ive never tried solo with a dual-class fighter/cleric-druid but I have heard they are quite powerful as well.

So from the above, and what others have told you, you have quite alot of variations on what to solo with. It is merely your preference, on what to go with first.

11. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Half-Orc Berserker or Barbarian (I prefer Berserker, more versatility with armors), Chaotic Good (to take Draw upon Holy Might as innate)

Str.19
    Dex.18
    Con.19
    Int.14 (for Illithids)
    Wis.10
    Chr.10(He is a Half-Orc :evil:

Proficiencies:

2 weapon ***
    Scimitar **
    Katana **
    2handed Sword**
    Halberd **
    Flail **
    Long Sword **
    Note: Even if you chose Berserker don't bother giving Grand Mastery (it's only +2 to hit, +4 to dmg and -3 to weapon speed) However Mastery(***) is a good deal (it gives you +1 to hit comparing to special.(**).

Ah, and don't forget to take all the Evil Paths in hell. :evil:

12. Errol Gems: 23/31

Hmm...what about the choice that no-one ever decides to take... the Kensai/Cleric!!
    I really can't see what's wrong with it, and when played right, can be just as powerful as the Kensai/Mage. Give him Two Weapon Style/Single Weapon Style in Warhammers or Flails and watch the Carnage!

Brilliant Class.

13. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

Anyone tried a Kensai-Druid? That could be interesting. Mmmmm ironskins...

14. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Ah that makes sense, make sure your swordsaint isn't allowed to use a bladed weapon :) Tssk Gopher... Tssk ;)

15. Hey whats with the swashbucklers.I said fighter or mage.Not fighter or thief or bard!!!And whats with the evil paths in hell.Could you give me a clue to why its so GOOD!!!I'm not a phycotic helliac.And I think that I will take either a Human multi kensai/thief.They are really cool.Or maby a natural fighter.I am also thinking of a mage so post away about Fighters,thiefs,mages and rangers and clerics and druids.(stats and race and class.)Now you can post about thiefs.Is a shwashbuckler really that good.Enlghiten me pleaseeeeeeeeee!!!

Paddy!!!(like the nicname.)

[This message has been edited by Padine the Paladin (edited June 04, 2002).]

16. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Paddy, we advise you take the evil paths in hell because they are more profitable for a fighter-type character.
    SPOILERS
    FEAR TEAR (the Nymph cloak)
    Good: Immunity to +1 weapons or less
    Evil: +2 CON

SELFISHNESS TEAR (sacrifice for companion)
    Good: +10 resistance to magic
    Evil: +2 to your AC (and you don't lose 1 Dex point, 2Hp and some experience)

*GREED TEAR (the Blackrazor sword)
    Good: +2 to all saving throws
    Evil: +15 to HP

PRIDE TEAR (the dragon)
    Good: +20% resistances to fire, cold and electricity
    Evil: Gain 200,000 experience

WRATH TEAR (Sarevok)
    Good: +1 to WIS and CHA
    Evil: +2 to STR

*here take better the good path (unless you want the Blackrazor Sword.

Now the Swashbucklers are very good (actually a Fighter/Thief) with nice bonuses, but I really don't like them because I love backstabbing (you guessed right, my favourite thief kit is Assasin). However I've heard that a Swashbuckler dualled to Mage is very powerful.

17. Errol Gems: 23/31

Faragon, and i thought...um....er... Well ok i guess you have a point. But it's a powerful class indeed, and not as over-powered as the Kensai/Mage.:D

18. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Padine, a human multi Kensai/Thief is not possible. Either a Human dual Kensai/Thief or a nonhuman multi Fighter/Thief.

Only six classes? :p Swashbucklers are very good. They are sort of a Fighter/Thief only while using just one class. Swashbuckler/Mage is very powerfull.

The darkside is very powerfull, just look at the hellbonusses. (although that very much depends on class.)

19. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] @Sirdan
    +20% resistance to fire/cold/electricity is IMO far more useful than 200,000 xp. Especially for a soloing character who really doesn't need more xp.

20. Cool!!!So evil paths in hell give you power.But then my charachter goes evil mening less discounts and conversation I think i'le edit it.If i could only find SK again.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.