1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo with an Archer?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Christian, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Christian Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I want to play solo, a barbarian or berserker, I know I post another topic but I have a question about the archer:

Can you play solo with it?
    Because youre bonus with the renged weapon is godd for nothing because the ennemy will be on you when you see them so...

I dont know
    what do you think about the archer to go solo?

2. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

In BG1, Archer would have ruled the day.
    In BG2, they are not particularly useful

3. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Umm Jack, don't let BTA hear you say that! ;)

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not particularly useful?! BAH! My Archer was (and is) fantastic! I filled uncounted monsters so full of arrows, they looked like porcupines! :) It just depends on your playing style...

5. Avooch Dar Guest

Lets be frank about this:

The archer is probably the single most brilliant power playing class when you are in a group (i have decided that monks are just rubbish now! nobleman :D :D :D)

On a solo game though the fact is that they will not be as powerful. Basically you would get bored out of your mind running around in your bots of speed. Taking another shot and then legging it again.
    If your the only one then if you can't fight hand to hand your screwed.
    Mind you i can think of harder solo classes (wizard slayer, shapeshifter, beastmaster, jester, assasin)

6. Christian Gems: 7/31

I have made my choice, I will try it and see by myself

just imagine if im able to play solo what it would be when I will play with my friend in a multiplayer game :)

It would be hard for sure but I will have a lot of fun I think...

7. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

All this talk of 'solo play' just doesn't sound that fun to me. I need to be able to find/disarm traps, I like having some cleric/mage spell, I like using an archer and I like melee. I also like some character interaction. I guess each to his own.

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Well I don't know if anyone tried to play solo with and archer but it can be hard when you have to fight big groups. I think playing solo with an archer would be lot's of fun, especially for when you have to attack melee, an Archer isn't bad but just not as good as a ranger/fighter and when playing solo, it can be a cool challenge so I say: Go for it!

9. Christian Gems: 7/31

I think that it would be a challenge but a fun one :)

I post a topic because the game bored me but now I'm happy again :)

10. Avooch Dar Guest

hehe
    why don' you try a shapeshifter. thats a challenge :D :D

11. shadow_thief Guest

yea...but druids suck(by now most of u who have read my messages think im picky about stuff but im not!i just...um...dont like alot of stuff ;))

[This message has been edited by shadow_thief (edited June 12, 2001).]

12. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Soloing with an archer can't be that hard. I mean you don't have to use the bow all the time. People solo with thieves, mages, how hard can it be with an archer. Doesn't matter that he can't specialize with close combat weapons. He's still better in close combat than thieves, bards, clerics, and mages. And against magic users he will be devestating.

Just make sure you specialize in shortbows. It'd be annoying having to lug around all those arrows when you're going solo.

(and druids don't suck you power monging cheater :p)

[This message has been edited by Tyresian (edited June 12, 2001).]

13. shadow_thief Guest

so??? whats wrong with that?!

14. ayecapitan Guest

I'd say archer is a kensai with a bow that can wear armor. I soloed with an archer (well, almost, i had Imoen in the end) and it was not particularly hard, not like going through with a solo asassin.
    (Just seeing THAC0 of 0 at level 10 [Tuigan Bow (GM) + arrows of piercing] makes monsters flee in terror)
    Tyresian: Specialize? Why, when an archer can grand master ranged weapons?
    I did GM short bows, but there are few reaaly heavy magical ones (Tuigan +1, Gesen -?, while there is a +3 long bow in De'Arnise and several good ones later); side specializing in crossbows would be good, and Stealth bonus helps too.
    Archers rule the day!

[This message has been edited by ayecapitan (edited June 12, 2001).]

15. Tyresian Gems: 8/31

Really its up to him as long as he goes beyond proficient. The reason to GM in shortbows is because there are two shortbows that have infinite ammo. Tasheron's bow which you can get early in trademeet and the Gesen shortbow. It doesn't matter what enchantment most bows are since it's the arrows that determine if you can hit it. The bolt/arrow with the highest enchantment is the +2 bolt/arrow. You'll need the tasheron or gesen shortbow since their phantom arrows are +3 enchantment. And you wouldn't have to lug around all those arrows.

(also you wouldn't want that Tuigan bow since it sets your attacks to 3 per round and eventually you'll exceed that)

Is it just me or do the attacks not matter for missile weapons? I can only pull off one or two shots with mazzy despite her having 5 attacks per round before the enemy close in on her.

[This message has been edited by Tyresian (edited June 12, 2001).]

16. Christian Gems: 7/31

I begin with my archer and he rock, I though that the enemy would have the time to come to me, 1 or 2 on 5 hehe, he shoot like 7/2 round with the strong arm (long bow) with all the bonus I'M hitting my target for a average of 15 damage par hit, not bad at the quantity I can shoot per round!

I have fun again :)

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I could be wrong, but I think Arrows of Piercing are +4 enchantment. They were for sure in IWD...

18. Tyresian Gems: 8/31

The arrows of piercing give +4 to your thac0 but they are counted as a +1 weapon.

19. ayecapitan Guest

Sometimes graphics just mess up the attacks factor...
    I dont know about BG2, but in BG1 my mage did *show* 2 hits per round, while he was suppose to do only 1 and he did 1, by rolls; not saying about Coran who seemed to shoot some machinegun bow, while doing 5 attacks per 2 rounds as he was s'possed to

20. Lothar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

One thing you could try would be an archer dualed to a mage. That way you could summon creatures to hold off foes while you "filled them with arrows." Just a thought.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.