1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Some strange things

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by antoine, May 26, 2001.

1. antoine Guest

[​IMG] 1. Elves are a creative race, the speak in melodic tones and have clever songs and poetry, so shouldn't they be able to be bards??

2. Nalia and Imoen are both thieves dual classed into mages, but isn't it a little odd that they don't have the same clothes. (Or is Imoen just like Irenicus and Elminster that she wares clothes unlike normal NPC's)

3. Mazzy is a halfling and the discription says that halflings are short and have round faces. But on her portrait, Mazzy doesn't have a round face and she doesn't look like halflings from BG1 (Alora & Montaron, who do have round faces and pointy ears!!)
    Mazzy looks more like a human.

Now don't these things seem a little strange to you?

2. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

3. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

1. Elves have a lot of pride.. they wont reduce themselves to being buskers..

2. maybe its the result of soemting they wear.. like the girdle that Imoen wears that cant be removed.. maybe Elminster also has one that allows him to live for God knows how long

3. I think its easier to like Mazzy that way...

4. Avooch Dar Guest

Have you noticed that Mazzy's portrait makes her seem very beutiful.
    Plus i find it weird that only humans can be paladins and that Half Orcs can be theives.
    just does not seem right as far as i am concerned.

5. DEUS Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Elven bards are multiclassed Thief/Mages

6. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Here's a crazy suggestion from a crazy person. I think that bards of every race should be from every race, but bard song has bonuses for people the same race as the bard and penalties for people of opposing races. eg Dwarves find elven poetry too complicated and annoying, and elves don't care too much for songs that go "Gold, Gold, Gold, Gold ..."

7. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Nice Idea. Realistic anyway.. But Should we really make the Bard suffer a blow on his efficiency. Its not like he is the most popular class around. Instead one could make additional bonusses to those of same race as the bard. Not penalties to others.

8. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31

RE Mazzy:
    plenty of ppl here have read the hobbit/LOTR an have seen hobbits in their minds.. how many ppl have seen the LOTR movie trailer...where the hobbits, except 4 bilbo, look nothing like hobbits...they just look like little ppl. mazzy, hard as nails as she is, does look disturbingly pretty on her portrait...

9. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

Mazzy is a halfling, not a hobbit.

10. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

but halflings are the same things as hobbits... short, plump, have hair on thier feet...

11. Avooch Dar Guest

Personally i think in the movie that all of them APART from frodo look realistic.
    He just looks like yet another american actor.......which he is.

12. jester1137 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

LOL @ "just another american actor"
    Sean astin(sp?), the guy playing Sam is an american actor too, he looks perfect.
    And, if you've read LOTR, halfings are small humans, with curly hair bright eyes, generally floral faces, somewhat rotund, and of course the big furry feet.

Haflings ARE hobbits. heck, tsr got sued for calling them that and had to use hafling, which while used in lotr isn't copy writed.

Besides, i don't know about anyone else, but I always pictured frodo as less robust than the general hobbit, sort of a sickly guy who spent a bit too much time inside.

sorry for wandering off topic there, mazzy looks believable to me, kinda. once again, she's not SUPPOSED to be the "typical" hafling.

13. Avooch Dar Guest

I can tell you one thing now:
    I have respect for american actors as most of them are pretty good. (Dustan Hoffman being my favorite actor of all time)
    But Tolkein was born in South Africa and spent nearly all his life in Britain. He would not have envisioned the characters to have been American!
    Now then too my point. Lets face it, the american accent is lovely but it is in no way sutible for a fantasy story. Russian or British work the best and that is just fact.
    So too my real point:
    If Frodo and Sam start speaking in American accents i will personally gouge mr jacksons eyes out

No offense meant to Americans but lets face the facts ok?

14. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

As most films get dubbed, who cares?

This is a good thing about living in a small country. We use sublines instead of dubbing. This means, that in american films, people speak english, in german films etc.

Just imagine watching Das Boot in english! ;)

(Yes, I do now it has been made in an english version. One of my friends got it, but it's just not the same!)

15. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The reason why american accents dont work in fantasy, is the setting is usually middle ages period. Hence the americas didnt exist yet :)

16. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

Uhm, Darien, it seems, that even the moderaters are unable to post pictures. :)

17. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

18. jester1137 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

At the risk of getting yelled at for turning this into a LOTR discussion...
    They've created entirely new accents for most of the characters in the LOTR films. There were three actual linguists in addition the the voice coaches. So I kinda doubt it will be much of a problem.
    I Agree completly. American accents would ruin it. But elrond sounding like a cockney would be just as bad, eh govnah?
    And just because they stopped drawing haflings that way doesn't change what they are :) c'mon, stoors instead of stouts?
    And we don't ALL have to pay attention to obvious marketing ploys by wizards of the coast either. The people who brought you cardboard crack are not your friends!!

19. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I don't get it. In Tolkiens Story, Halflings and Hobbits are the same. Halfling is the name in the common Language and Hobbits is how the Halflings called themselves.

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Hint: In the original D&D halflings WERE called hobbits at first. The thing is, Tolkien estate sued the mofos because (as you can plainly see), they stole just about every idea Tolkien came up with and implemented it in the FR setting. (Kudos to Greenwood for that).

The name hobbit was something Tolkien came up with, and they had to change it as well. Halflings then... I suspect mithril was one of the words too, since WOTC seems to be turning it from mithril to mithral. On random occasions though, since you can spot both spellings.
    There's probably another ton of stuff they had to change, but I don't really know all of the details.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.